Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2013 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Options
    lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    what date will we likely get the first outline of what's on tv this christmas? I know the papers usually bring out an early Christmas guide in early december with a lot of TBAs - does anyone know when this will happen?
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm allowed a gess I gess the tardis with matt smith and its snowing and its a snow globe

Tardis in a snow globe was done in 2005
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    lundo wrote: »
    what date will we likely get the first outline of what's on tv this christmas? I know the papers usually bring out an early Christmas guide in early december with a lot of TBAs - does anyone know when this will happen?
    Ignore anything the papers print.

We should get the very provisional schedules released around the 26th/27th November and they will be confirmed a week later.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »

We should get the very provisional schedules released around the 26th/27th November and they will be confirmed a week later.

Actually the papers haven't done a provisional guide since 2009. So, at least now they'll be right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »

I know what you mean. Sometimes I've seen films in these early guides that are no where to be seen in the official listings
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    right, i'm going to go for a cover which doesn't involve the tardis or arkwrights!

I'm saying along a traditional route of a snow scene with a fat robin!
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Knowing what date the Christmas radio times is out when will the other Radio times before the Christmas one come out.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Knowing what date the Christmas radio times is out when will the other Radio times before the Christmas one come out.[/QUOTE

November 30 for issue Dec 6 - 13
    December 5 for issue Dec 14 - 20
    Xmas issue Dec 7 onwards
    December 27 for January 4 - 10
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 holding a massive presentation about upcoming programme schedules on Wednesday. Probably safe to assume that period will cover Christmas, so expect press releases and media packs from Channel Four in the next few days.
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Guess The Cover Competition Update

1) SHANK0055 A traditional illustration of a Christmas tree with Baubles depicting all the Christmas tv specials like Doctor Who, Open all Hours etc

2) Claires_dad A Christmas scene of the road with the shop from Open All Hours in it.

3) jazzydrury3 Close up of Front of Open All Hours shop, With the main stars, by the door, with the ghostly figure of Arkwright looking down at em.

Oldie style font, and non glossy photo

4) lindi Prince William, Prince George and Princess Kate in a nativity scene

5) StuL42 Call the Midwifes riding their bikes, snowy street scene, riding past Arkwrights shop.

6) Georged123 Peter Capaldi, bit of snow with the Tardis lurking.

7) LinusJ something Santa-centric as the mood is moving away from austerity. Plus maybe a snowglobe with a corner shop in.

8) wizzywick A photo of Agnes Brown dressed as a fairy with a wand and on the tree she stands beside are baubels with illustrations of midwives, a corner shop and a cyberman.

9) Batfink A traditional snowy scene with Santa on his sleigh

10) pedrok Mrs Brown meeting Arkwright in his corner shop with Christmas decorations around the shop.

11) Anthony_Ryan Wimbledon champion Andy Murray in a Santa suit !

12) Only_You Animated Father Christmas carrying a large sack with 'presents' that can be seen just overloading the bag with pictures of the Christmas 'TV' treats - Doctor Who, Mrs Brown, Open all Hours etc.

13) Pizzatheaction A drawing of the TARDIS, with Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Sir David Jason and Lynda Baron looking out of the half-open door.

14) pembo2004 cover with matt smith and peter capaldi with headline the doctors??

15) Aaron_Cardwell 'Still Open all Hours' shop front with the TARDIS lurking. It might be flying in the sky spelling out 'Happy Christmas'

16) Rich_L Danny Dyer in a Christmas hat outside the Vic!!

17) Ian_Stevens Retro Christmas cover, with 40/50's family around massive tree and roaring fire watching TV that has Tardis on its screen.

18) velixa An Advent Calendar with the doors open up until the first day on the guide, showing highlights of this years Christmas telly, including a tardis.

19) JOHNOR a very traditional snowy scene of children playing together outdoors.

20) midsblue snowy scene with Tardis & Capaldi in foreground & Arkwrights corner shop in background with Granville's bicycle resting against wall.

21) Ben_Freeman the tardis with matt smith and its snowing and its a snow globe

22) lundo christmas tree front cover, with presents on the tree instead of baubles with caricature faces of granville, doctor who et al drawn on the boxes

23) smirf1 along a traditional route of a snow scene with a fat robin!

Let me know if I've missed you off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    Tardis in a snow globe was done in 2005

Doesn't mean they won't do it again though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the return of Open All Hours this year, what sitcoms would people like to see resurrected for a one-off Christmas special (a sort of 'what they are doing now' episode). I'd love to see one-off Only Fools, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave and Men Behaving Badly.

Of course it's best that the main star(s) are still alive, but that hasn't stopped Open All Hours...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the return of Open All Hours this year, what sitcoms would people like to see resurrected for a one-off Christmas special (a sort of 'what they are doing now' episode). I'd love to see one-off Only Fools, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave and Men Behaving Badly.

Of course it's best that the main star(s) are still alive, but that hasn't stopped Open All Hours...

Goodnight Sweetheart
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bren and Tony (from Dinnerladies) invite their old chums up to their pub (bequeathed to them in a will by Tony's friend) celebrate their wedding in Scotland. When they arrive the usual wit and banter ensues but then each and every one of them through bizarre circumstances comes across the ghost of Petula! Why is Petula haunting them and when Bren is finally informed about the ghostly apparitions it is soon discovered that Bren's mum had an identical twin! A ghostly festive special that reunites the cast of this fabulous sitcom. Starring Victoria Wood, Andrew Dunn, Celia Imrie, Thelma Barlow, Anne Reid, Maxine Peake, and Duncan Preston.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member

John Sullivan no longer with us so OFAH not going to happen.

Fawlty Towers- John Cleese has already recently said no to writing any more of these.

One Foot In The Grave just wouldn't be the same without Victor (I feel exactly the same about Open All Hours without Arkwright)

Men Behaving Badly not out of the question.

All of the above were great at the time. However, I think they just need to leave them be. Any new episodes made years after they were originally on will just be a disappointment. The problem is there are so few decent new sitcoms these days that they keep having to resurrect old ones at Christmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    No matter how glossy The magazine cover alas it will not enhance any of the rubbish programs we will be getting
  • Options
    mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Another show to add-the matt Lucas awards
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess The Cover Competition Update

1) SHANK0055 A traditional illustration of a Christmas tree with Baubles depicting all the Christmas tv specials like Doctor Who, Open all Hours etc

2) Claires_dad A Christmas scene of the road with the shop from Open All Hours in it.

3) jazzydrury3 Close up of Front of Open All Hours shop, With the main stars, by the door, with the ghostly figure of Arkwright looking down at em.

5) StuL42 Call the Midwifes riding their bikes, snowy street scene, riding past Arkwrights shop.

7) LinusJ something Santa-centric as the mood is moving away from austerity. Plus maybe a snowglobe with a corner shop in.

8) wizzywick A photo of Agnes Brown dressed as a fairy with a wand and on the tree she stands beside are baubels with illustrations of midwives, a corner shop and a cyberman.

10) pedrok Mrs Brown meeting Arkwright in his corner shop with Christmas decorations around the shop.

12) Only_You Animated Father Christmas carrying a large sack with 'presents' that can be seen just overloading the bag with pictures of the Christmas 'TV' treats - Doctor Who, Mrs Brown, Open all Hours etc.

13) Pizzatheaction A drawing of the TARDIS, with Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Sir David Jason and Lynda Baron looking out of the half-open door.

14) pembo2004 cover with matt smith and peter capaldi with headline the doctors??

15) Aaron_Cardwell 'Still Open all Hours' shop front with the TARDIS lurking. It might be flying in the sky spelling out 'Happy Christmas'

17) Ian_Stevens Retro Christmas cover, with 40/50's family around massive tree and roaring fire watching TV that has Tardis on its screen.

18) velixa An Advent Calendar with the doors open up until the first day on the guide, showing highlights of this years Christmas telly, including a tardis.

19) JOHNOR a very traditional snowy scene of children playing together outdoors.

20) midsblue snowy scene with Tardis & Capaldi in foreground & Arkwrights corner shop in background with Granville's bicycle resting against wall.

22) lundo christmas tree front cover, with presents on the tree instead of baubles with caricature faces of granville, doctor who et al drawn on the boxes

Let me know if I've missed you off!

yeh me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yeh me

Oops!

Guess the Cover Update :

24) Billy_Value a snowy/christmassy street with Arkwright's shop with Granville standing outside the shop in the evening lit by street lights with the various stars of christmas TV 2013 as carol singers on the street with the tardis parked up on the street as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Confirmed so far

BBC1

Last Tango in Halifax
    Mrs Brown's Boys (2 episodes)
    Mouse & Mole (Animation)
    Call the Midwife
    Not Going Out
    Gangsta Granny (David Walliams book)
    Pointless
    Doctor Who : Twelfth Night
    Citizen Khan
    EastEnders
    Strictly Come Dancing
    Death Comes To Pemberley
    Nan (starring Catherine Tate)
    Would I Lie to You
    Still Open All Hours
    The Matt Lucas Awards

BBC2

Hebburn
    The Tractate Middoth (Ghost story)
    M R James : Ghost Writer (Documentary)
    The Thirteenth Tale (Drama)
    QI
    Rab C Nesbitt
    The Sarah Millican Television Programme
    Tom Kerridge Cooks Christmas

ITV

Downton Abbey
    Lets Do Christmas ... with Gino and Mel
    The Cube
    Mr & Mrs
    Vicious
    Coronation Street
    Midsomer Murders
    Text santa

Channel 4

Man Down

BBC3

Bad Education

BBC4

The Royal Institute Christmas Lectures 2013

From http://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/latest-tv-news-christmas-2013.html (twitter : @UKChristmasTV)
  • Options
    CoolElvisCoolElvis Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    My guess:

Granville and his boy outside his shop on a snowy street. The shop front offering toys such as the drs and the tardis. Through the snow crusted lattice windows we are teased with shelves full of tv treats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    argyess wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers- John Cleese has already recently said no to writing any more of these.

One Foot In The Grave just wouldn't be the same without Victor (I feel exactly the same about Open All Hours without Arkwright)

All of the above were great at the time. However, I think they just need to leave them be. Any new episodes made years after they were originally on will just be a disappointment. The problem is there are so few decent new sitcoms these days that they keep having to resurrect old ones at Christmas.

David Jason was interviewed on 5live a couple of weeks back and mentioned that John Sullivan had half written script when he unfortunately died:(, he also talked about the possibility of Sullivan's son who is also a writer finishing it so you never know......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    argyess wrote: »

Sorry, maybe a few bad examples in there, but it was only a theoretical question, I wasn't asking them to be commissioned. Perhaps on a more realistic note then, how about another special of The Office? (I might be going down the Fawlty Towers 'never again' route there though)
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    More on the Open all Hours special

"Sir David Jason heads the cast as Granville who has inherited the shop from his beloved but miserly Uncle Arkwright. Granville now runs the shop with his son Leroy, a cheerful, good looking lad with more female admirers than Granville ever had. Granville sees him as the shop assistant but he sees himself as the head of IT.

Granville has brought up Leroy himself, with the help of a lot of the local women, after he arrived on the doorstep as the surprise result of a one night stand in Blackpool. Lynda Baron returns as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel, Stephanie Cole as the Black Widow and Maggie Ollerenshaw is back as Mavis, Granville's never-quite-declared old flame.

Written by Roy Clarke."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/still_open_all_hours_3dec13

Being filmed on the 3rd December!
  • Options
    vinnyvegavinnyvega Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    LinusJ wrote: »
    Channel 4 holding a massive presentation about upcoming programme schedules on Wednesday. Probably safe to assume that period will cover Christmas, so expect press releases and media packs from Channel Four in the next few days.
    That's my 40th birthday, what a present!!! ;):D