Options

Tips for those going if you get tickets!

Comments

• Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    great wealth of tips on here, thanks all. Just so I get it right this is my proposed plan of action, please shout out if i've misunderstood any of the advice. Not bothered about getting there at 7 am for front row seats, just want to make sure we actually get tickets. So..

- Arrive around 10am with camping chairs in hand! Queue for validation.

- Hopefully validated by 12pm

- Leave to get lunch, changed and dump camping chairs

- Return around 3 - 3:30pm and queue to enter. (is this too early as doors don't open till 4:30?)

I'm thinking chairs are not required for 2nd round of queuing as you won't be able to take them in with you? Is the second round of queuing quicker?

This all sounds a bit like a military operation, but want to make sure we get seats but also don't want to spend hours unnecessarily queuing.

I would agree with this except:

- validating started around 12 so if there are say 200/300 people ahead of you if you arrive approx 10 ish then you should be free after stickering/validating by about 12.30/45 ish.

- queue for entry (2nd time) is definitely quicker - are you saying entry to studio from 4.30? If so entry is much quicker and definitely if you leave your phone (& possibly coats) in the car.

I would suggest taking some sort of pashmina shawl as it can be a bit draughty in the studio which never used to happen at TVC.

Have a great time and don't forget to come back and let us know if anything has changed from last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone! Does anybody know if you have to take photo id with you my friend got tickets we planned and paid for all our travel but now she can't go. Obviously I don't want to miss out but the tickets are in her name? Would be gutted to miss out as been so excited for weeks! Did anybody get id checked when they got there tickets validated?
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybo1000 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Does anybody know if you have to take photo id with you my friend got tickets we planned and paid for all our travel but now she can't go. Obviously I don't want to miss out but the tickets are in her name? Would be gutted to miss out as been so excited for weeks! Did anybody get id checked when they got there tickets validated?
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

I havent been recently but when I was lucky enough to go the tickets were never in my name and no, you dont need photo ID

unless its changed but I doubt it has

have fun
  • Options
    kerrymelkerrymel Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    dizzie wrote: »
    BTW, is there anyone who's been to the Blackpool show in the past couple of years? When I went 5 years ago, they didn't do any ticket validations or stickers - we queued from 10.30am until they let us in at 4.30pm (and then we queued inside for another hour before being seated!). Let me tell you, 6 hours on Blackpool promenade, in the wind, rain and freezing cold, is not something I'm too keen on repeating, if I get tickets this year! I'm really hoping they have found a way to give out stickers earlier in the day, but I'd love to hear from anyone who's been to a Blackpool show more recently than me.
    I went to Blackpool last year and it was pretty much as you remember in that there was no validating and going away/coming back. Thankfully though we didn't have to stand outside for so long. We got there around 9.30am and were very near the front of the queue. At around midday they let us inside where we queued for a while longer, but at least it was warm! They could only allow so many people inside at this point though, so if you were nearer the back of the queue you would have waited outside for longer. Be aware that no food or drink can be taken inside the Blackpool Tower; there were a lot of disgruntled people having to abandon sandwiches and drinks before they went in!

We were then sent through to the Blackpool Tower circus, where everyone sat for the next 3 hours (there was no one performing there, but it's beautiful even when it's empty!) We weren't allowed to take food or drink inside at all but you could buy food in there. There was a lot of waiting around but at least it was comfortable and not in the freezing cold! At about 4.30 we went through to the ballroom. It was absolutely spectacular inside, even more so as it was lit so beautifully! We got a seat just behind the judges to the right; you couldn't see the whole floor, but just to be inside that ballroom was something I'll never forget. It was the first time I've been lucky enough to get tickets and all the waiting around was worth every second. Fingers crossed for this year :)
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kerrymel. Massively useful information - you were lucky that they let people into the circus to wait, my year everyone was on the prom in the wind and rain from around 10am until they starting stamping tickets, opened the doors and let people queue inside at 4.30pm (with more queuing until 5.30pm). But the no food thing is totally idiotic, typical Blackpool Tower behaviour! At least we were able to go and take turns going to the local fast food places during our long wait.

One question, did they stamp your tickets with numbers prior to coralling everyone into the circus - i.e. did your position at the front of the queue mean you were taken to the ballroom first, to get decent seats, or was it totally random that you were early in the queue and managed to get great seats? I know they call people in batches at the London shows, according to their ticket number, but it was just a long queue in Blackpool the time I was there, so they just led the whole queue into the Ballroom, in order.
  • Options
    kerrymelkerrymel Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi dizzie, yes, sorry I forgot to mention that, when they first let us into the building at midday, so we could carry on queuing inside, they put stickers on our tickets then. Because we were near the front of the queue we were seated on the floor near the judges. So your position in the queue determined where you were seated, and we went through to the circus safe in the knowledge we had a seat, and were eventually called in order from there into the ballroom.

There were loads of people behind us in the queue as we first got let in to the building, so if you get there later it's likely you would have to wait out in the cold for longer, and you would be seated upstairs. I didn't really care to be honest, I just got there early as I know they issue more tickets than there are seats, and I was paranoid about not getting in at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    I apologise if this is dumb - and /or already been asked
    I assume the fact that there were two shows over the weekend means that neither was live ? as SCD started at 9pm on Friday ?

so when was it actually filmed ? and how long did it take :o?
    did anyone go ?

many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spadge1077 wrote: »
    I apologise if this is dumb - and /or already been asked
    I assume the fact that there were two shows over the weekend means that neither was live ? as SCD started at 9pm on Friday ?

so when was it actually filmed ? and how long did it take :o?
    did anyone go ?

many thanks

They were both filmed live. The only thing that wasn't live over the 2 nights was the pro dance which would have been pre recorded about half an hr before the main show on Saturday.
  • Options
    teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    Probably a stupid question but any help would be appreciated -
    I'm looking to go to the Blackpool show this year with my daughter. We live in Glasgow so would be a good bit of travelling for us. What are the chances on us getting tickets? Do we literally just queue outside the tower ballroom and it's first come first served? We don't want to travel all that way and not get any tickets. We don't mind queuing from early morning if it'll guarantee us entry.
    Any tips from people who've been previously would be great! Thanks. Xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    teagenie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Probably a stupid question but any help would be appreciated -
    I'm looking to go to the Blackpool show this year with my daughter. We live in Glasgow so would be a good bit of travelling for us. What are the chances on us getting tickets? Do we literally just queue outside the tower ballroom and it's first come first served? We don't want to travel all that way and not get any tickets. We don't mind queuing from early morning if it'll guarantee us entry.
    Any tips from people who've been previously would be great! Thanks. Xxx

All Strictly tv shows have balloted tickets and the ballot for this year (including Blackpool I believe) has already taken place

Unless you entered the ballot there is no chance of tickets.

And even if you did, you would only hear if successful about 10 days before the show (by email).

The queue outside Blackpool Tower Ballroom (mentioned above) is those people who were already lucky enough to get tickets in the ballot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hello
    Has anyone been this current series. We have been lucky enough to get tickets and I was wondering about the queuing first thing in the morning.
    On the tickets is says to queue at the Maxwell Road entrance, which seems to be different to last years information, when the queues were by the side of Tesco service road.
    Any up to date info would be gratefully received, thanks
  • Options
    Anne_CameronAnne_Cameron Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on the first Saturday. It was a beautiful day and we arrived at about 8am and were numbered 59 and 60 in the queue. You do have to queue at the Maxwell Road entrance, it is a bit further to walk from the Tesco Car Park but not too far. Most people brought their camping chairs and took it in turns to go for a walk, get coffee and food etc until the validation at around 12 noon. I don't understand why they can't do this any earlier. The security guys who managed the queue also did the validation and as they came on duty at 9ish they could easily have started the validation at that point.

There is a lot of hanging around. We went away and came back at 4pm, no point coming early as we had to queue up again outside as there were delays in rehearsal, also they call you into the studio in strict numerical order according to your ticket number - 1-30, 31-60 etc. when the studio doors open at 4.30pm.

Coffee, tea and snacks are available in the holding area but you have to pay for them!!

At the end of the day it is well worth all the waiting, but I am not sure I would like to do it on a wet weekend in November!
  • Options
    JMinLondonJMinLondon Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if they started the validation at 9am you would have people staring to queue at 4am to be at the front.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I went on the first Saturday. It was a beautiful day and we arrived at about 8am and were numbered 59 and 60 in the queue. You do have to queue at the Maxwell Road entrance, it is a bit further to walk from the Tesco Car Park but not too far. Most people brought their camping chairs and took it in turns to go for a walk, get coffee and food etc until the validation at around 12 noon. I don't understand why they can't do this any earlier. The security guys who managed the queue also did the validation and as they came on duty at 9ish they could easily have started the validation at that point.

There is a lot of hanging around. We went away and came back at 4pm, no point coming early as we had to queue up again outside as there were delays in rehearsal, also they call you into the studio in strict numerical order according to your ticket number - 1-30, 31-60 etc. when the studio doors open at 4.30pm.

Coffee, tea and snacks are available in the holding area but you have to pay for them!!

At the end of the day it is well worth all the waiting, but I am not sure I would like to do it on a wet weekend in November!
    That's great info. Thank you very much. Here's hoping for a dry day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    thank you for all the hints and tips - much appreciated as it's our first visit this weekend :-)

BUT..........Latest forecast for this Saturday is rain :-(
    So silly question - what happens when it rains? I've not noticed an audience of wet rats before!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mandy or Sian

If you are visiting this week can one of you be our result spoiler mole?

As regards rain - need to take a change of clothing, coats and umbrellas etc. although you will have to change at a restaurant somewhere local (or if you are staying the night - local hotel).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    some of the timings appeared to be different yesterday so thought I would post - however it appears that it may have been a one off so please be careful if basing too much on a set time!

From talking to people we met (rough timings as my memory serves!)
    First one's in queue arrived at 6am, and if you arrived at 8am you were about 100
    If arrived at 1030 you were numbered about 300 and the last to get in arrived at 12 ticket 470. (Obviously numbers and timings will change every week!)
    There were about 50 on standby tickets many did get in but I don't know if all did.
    On the previous week there were again about 50 on standby tickets and I think about 20 didn't get in. Also on the previous week if you turned up late (ie after queue processed) you didn't even get on to standby apparently.

If you get a standby ticket but then don't get in, you are then offered a date in November instead.

The queue didn't actually start being processed until 1245 - not 1200,

You were then told to come back at about 3/330 and I think they started processing the queue about 330 - the heavens opened (with full thunder & lightening!!) about 345ish so there were some very wet people at the back of the queue!

Then the wait in the marquee wasn't too long (they were showing bake off final!) and started calling the numbers at 415 with everyone being in by 430 I think. filming was due to start about 530 - so if you had ticket number 100 but didn't get into the marquee until 430 you would have lost all that advantage of the mornings queue.....

They made a big thing of everyone queuing nicely - and being strict on sequence (in groups of 50) - 'as there had been an incident last week'. The 6am people got seats opposite the stage at the front so would have had great views - but apart from the front 20 ish people the next lot were behind celebs (opposite the judges) so not that great a view IMHO. So not a lot of difference if you are number 20 to 470!! Most of the best seats are assigned to celebs/guests etc. if I go again think I would like to try the view from the balcony!

After being warned the temp was quite cool - I fact it was quite warm - jackets were off and some clever ladies had taken fans.

Then once the filming started I found it confusing at times - it's not filmed in sequence ie opening routine was filmed multiple times - and donny song etc - but once the dancing proper starts then obviously it's all live.

during the break they gave out a small carton of fruit juice and kit kart to everyone. They also randomly threw tiny bags of haribos occasionally but I think hardly anyone got any of those. So not a lot of sustenance if you've been queing/travelling from 6am and don't get a big lunch!!

Then filming finished at 1030 - and long queue for coats - much shorter queue for phones. Was very glad that I had space in handbag for brolly!

Oh and car parking - Brook Road was just opposite Elstree and £5 for over 5 hours with lots of space so perfect location.

A great experience - so go prepared and you'll have a fab time. (And pray they don't invite donny osmund back!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    My first post...

I've applied for tickets for the first time this year, and have tried my luck by applying for all of the shows.

I know it can take years of trying before being successful, and as expected I've been receiving the "on this occasion you have been unsuccessful" e-mails.

These cheery e-mails arrived for Shows 1&2, then 3, 4 and 5 which came on 3rd October. But then nothing until yesterday when the e-mail for Show 7 arrived.

Would someone be kind enough to confirm that this is most likely just a glitch for Show 6 and whether they send out the actual tickets before or after the "unsuccessful" e-mails? Has anyone had the e-mail (or tickets) for Show 6 (25th October) and if so when did either of them arrive?

I believe that for the first time this year tickets are being sent via e-mail, so there is no need for me to be looking out for a glittery envelope coming through my letterbox?

I would hate to be in the position of having been successful very early on but not having known about it. I know that I can't reply to the e-mail and enquire about Show 6, but I'm not aware of any other method for contacting the senders.

Hopefully previous attendees will be able to shed some light on the process - I don't think it has been covered in any of the recent threads about tickets.

Thank you in advance :)
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first post...

I've applied for tickets for the first time this year, and have tried my luck by applying for all of the shows.

I know it can take years of trying before being successful, and as expected I've been receiving the "on this occasion you have been unsuccessful" e-mails.

These cheery e-mails arrived for Shows 1&2, then 3, 4 and 5 which came on 3rd October. But then nothing until yesterday when the e-mail for Show 7 arrived.

Would someone be kind enough to confirm that this is most likely just a glitch for Show 6 and whether they send out the actual tickets before or after the "unsuccessful" e-mails? Has anyone had the e-mail (or tickets) for Show 6 (25th October) and if so when did either of them arrive?

I believe that for the first time this year tickets are being sent via e-mail, so there is no need for me to be looking out for a glittery envelope coming through my letterbox?

I would hate to be in the position of having been successful very early on but not having known about it. I know that I can't reply to the e-mail and enquire about Show 6, but I'm not aware of any other method for contacting the senders.

Hopefully previous attendees will be able to shed some light on the process - I don't think it has been covered in any of the recent threads about tickets.

Thank you in advance :)

Sometimes they don't send you an unsuccessful email, last year I often received no notification. Not receiving an email most likely means you've been unsuccessful, sorry :(
  • Options
    soexcitedsoexcited Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I received tickets via email for the last two years, it's nothing new.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quick question

I have been lucky enough to get tickets for the 8th November BUT the ticket isnt in my name...........

does this matter? do they actually care if the name at the top of the ticket doesnt match who is holding the piece of paper? - its a guys name at the top of the piece of paper and I am very clearly female......... :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    quick question

I have been lucky enough to get tickets for the 8th November BUT the ticket isnt in my name...........

does this matter? do they actually care if the name at the top of the ticket doesnt match who is holding the piece of paper? - its a guys name at the top of the piece of paper and I am very clearly female......... :confused:

No idea re this year but last year was there when someone behind (2 men) had tickets in a lady's name and they had a photocopy of her driving licence.

You do have to be able to confirm the name, address and postcode (without reading if off the ticket - or look like you aren't) when they come down the queue.

No idea if things have changed this year but the above worked last year.

Can you say the tickets are your B/f, partner, cousin's but he couldn't go at the last minute so gave them to you??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    No idea re this year but last year was there when someone behind (2 men) had tickets in a lady's name and they had a photocopy of her driving licence.

You do have to be able to confirm the name, address and postcode (without reading if off the ticket - or look like you aren't) when they come down the queue.

No idea if things have changed this year but the above worked last year.

Can you say the tickets are your B/f, partner, cousin's but he couldn't go at the last minute so gave them to you??

eek, do you? ok, I will have to learn it then and ask for their postcode!!!!!

thanks for the advice, I will have to wing it and hope for the best - will be gutted if I dont get in tho

I was going to say the bf applied for the tickets in his name and had to go to work last min :p
  • Options
    Trix71Trix71 Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to bump this post again... any advice from lucky DS members who have got tockets greatly received :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Hello Everyone,
    I've applied for tickets for the first time but as I don't live in the UK I need to know whether or not I've been successful so I can make travel arrangements. And for the same reason I have only applied for one week as I am not entitled to take random days off.... when am I likely to hear if I've got tickets to my chosen week which is 17th October?

Thanks,
    Mel