Ched Evans

Comments

• The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oblivian wrote: »
    So Ched Evans has been released then. Just what this country needs, another sex offender loose on the streets. Just hope he doesn't offend again.

Yea put him in prison for life or stone him to death.

Lets put everyone who breaks a law in prison for life. Never let the low-lifes out
  • serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she might have consented. She can't remember.

If she was too incapacited be aware of what happened, she was too incapacited to have consented. This stuff really isn't hard.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Yea put him in prison for life or stone him to death.

Lets put everyone who breaks a law in prison for life. Never let the low-lifes out

No instead release him, have 20,000 people cheering his name on a Saturday and treat him like some kind of hero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No instead release him, have 20,000 people cheering his name on a Saturday and treat him like some kind of hero.

Or release him after he has served his sentence and paid for his crimes as set down by the law of the land and allow him to work be it a milkman,postman,roadsweeper or any other job that he can get and support his family and show that our legal system works by proving he has been rehabilitated instead of pandering to the same old nonsense when it comes to crimes like this.

He has been punished and now its time to move on.

There is nothing to be gained by him wasting his skillset by sitting at home and living off the state (which people then start being offended by and create another petition) or wasting talents in some dead end job.

A punishment has to end at somepoint
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    I think you will find he was convicted with having unlawful sex with an under age (15 year old) girl. To my knowledge he has never been convicted of any paedophile offences.

Exactly.
    Forum Member
    So Ched Evans has been released then. Just what this country needs, another sex offender loose on the streets. Just hope he doesn't offend again.

Do you think he should be imprisoned for life then?
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or release him after he has served his sentence and paid for his crimes as set down by the law of the land and allow him to work be it a milkman,postman,roadsweeper or any other job that he can get and support his family and show that our legal system works by proving he has been rehabilitated instead of pandering to the same old nonsense when it comes to crimes like this.

He has been punished and now its time to move on.

There is nothing to be gained by him wasting his skillset by sitting at home and living off the state (which people then start being offended by and create another petition) or wasting talents in some dead end job.

A punishment has to end at somepoint

On the whole I agree with you, he's served his sentence and he should be allowed to get on with his life. The fact he's a professional footballer does present complications though. I don't think it's unreasonable for a fan to be uncomfortable with cheering on a convicted rapist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think he should be imprisoned for life then?

No, of course not but I don't think his sentence should of been shortened until he had shown some contrition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Stuart hall or Rolf Harris be put straight back on to the BBC when they are released?
    Of course not, not for any legal reasons but because morally it would be completely wrong.
    In my opinion this should also be the reason that he shouldn't be playing professional football again at a high level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the whole I agree with you, he's served his sentence and he should be allowed to get on with his life. The fact he's a professional footballer does present complications though. I don't think it's unreasonable for a fan to be uncomfortable with cheering on a convicted rapist.

Then don't cheer him on. Just because a fan is uncomfortable that doesn't mean they should expect someone put their family's lifestyle on hold and waste his skills.

People being uncomfortable is not really important or has it anything to do with anything.

The important thing is someone has paid their debt to society and is now free to live their life's and that's the way it should be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Stuart hall or Rolf Harris be put straight back on to the BBC when they are released?
    Of course not, not for any legal reasons but because morally it would be completely wrong.

No that's morally and legally wrong.

The point of prison is not just too punish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then don't cheer him on. Just because a fan is uncomfortable that doesn't mean they should expect someone put their family's lifestyle on hold and waste his skills.

People being uncomfortable is not really important or has it anything to do with anything.

The important thing is someone has paid their debt to society and is now free to live their life's and that's the way it should be

Can I ask a question?
    I assume you are a SUFC fan?
    If not then I'm sorry but if you are would you be this adamant if he had played for Wednesday?
    An honest question, no offence meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that's morally and legally wrong.

The point of prison is not just too punish.

Sorry, why legally wrong?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    No, of course not but I don't think his sentence should of been shortened until he had shown some contrition.

Trouble is Evans doesn't think he did anything wrong hence the appeals and "lack of remorse"

One of the issues depends on if people feel footballers are really role models?

Know kids sometime copying their swearing and even diving during games but I'd like to think parents could tell their kids what he did isn't right/funny etc if needs be .

I haven't heard of many young Watford fans going around kicking people in the head because our star striker happened to be jailed for it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, why legally wrong?

It would be legally and morally wrong to stop someone who has paid for their crimes getting a job they are perfectly legally entitled to do just because it upsets people.

While I admit it's unlikely they would be given jobs it's very wrong that's the case otherwise what is the point in releasing them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Trouble is Evans doesn't think he did anything wrong hence the appeals and "lack of remorse"

One of the issues depends on if people feel footballers are really role models?

I'd like to parents could tell their kids what he did isn't right if needs be - and many of the other acts footballers do on/off the pitch.

I'm a dad of 3 and a huge Palace fan but if I'm honest there's no way I would tell my 3 boys to look at footballers as role models.
    The days of the upright, decent footballer are long gone I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask a question?
    I assume you are a SUFC fan?
    If not then I'm sorry but if you are would you be this adamant if he had played for Wednesday?
    An honest question, no offence meant.

Being a fan of a club or not or being a football fan or not is not important.

This is about our legal system, What it stands for and what it means. Nothing more and nothing less
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be legally and morally wrong to stop someone who has paid for their crimes getting a job they are perfectly legally entitled to do just because it upsets people.

While I admit it's unlikely they would be given jobs it's very wrong that's the case otherwise what is the point in releasing them?

Fair point, I've no arguement about the legal aspect but to me having harris back on the Beeb is as bad as Evans playing pro football again.
    Only my, maybe slightly old fashioned opinion of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a fan of a club or not or being a football fan or not is not important.

This is about our legal system, What it stands for and what it means. Nothing more and nothing less

I will assume you are then, once again sorry if thats wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair point, I've no arguement about the legal aspect but to me having harris back on the Beeb is as bad as Evans playing pro football again.
    Only my, maybe slightly old fashioned opinion of course.

So what should ex-offenders do? Live off the state? You happy to have their children suffer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what should ex-offenders do? Live off the state? You happy to have their children suffer?

Maybe find a lower profile profession?
    Lay low for a while maybe?
    If we like it or not football is the be all and end all to many and as such should, in my opinion try to clean its own house.
    Letting things pass has caused all sorts of trouble in the NFL and they are only now coming to grips with things. Would hate to see football become the same cess pit.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm, I disagree. Football is a unique profession and for a variety of reasons it complicates this matter. It's similar to an artist who is convicted of some egregious crime. People are entitled to withdraw their interest/financial backing for said artist. In this case, people are entitled to withdraw their support.

Again, If a club chooses to employ him and the fans of said club are fine with that, then I'd not have an issue with that. However, if a club or fans rejected him, I'd struggle to condemn them for their stance. Individual moral actions needn't be set by what the legal system dictates.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Football isn't letting anything pass here, the legal system has dealt with Evans' case as it should be.

Clubs should be free to pass on signing a player for their reasons and fans have the right to accept or reject him, but football as an institution shouldn't be making the decision for anyone in this case.
    Forum Member

I always though that showing remorse was part of the parole process. Clearly not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe find a lower profile profession?
    Lay low for a while maybe?
    If we like it or not football is the be all and end all to many and as such should, in my opinion try to clean its own house.
    Letting things pass has caused all sorts of trouble in the NFL and they are only now coming to grips with things. Would hate to see football become the same cess pit.

He has cleaned his own house. He has paid for his crimes according to the law of the land.

Laying low or accepting a different job (if he could get one with a criminal record and no experience in that field) is just punishing him more and that's surely wrong?

What would that achieve?