Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    If you don't mind me saying, it's probably better for your grandparents just to carry on using the Sky HD box for their free tv. Even without a subscription, you can get all the main tv channels.

They'll also get more channels on satellite than freeview and on many they're at a better bitrate and resolution too. IMO going over to freeview is a step backwards from satellite tv. :)

My nan and grandad can no longer use there Sky+ HD PVR because they have recently downsized and moved in to sheltered housing which does not have a Satalite dish.

And they do not want to pay a monthly subscription as they are happy with what Freeview offers.

They are currently using the SD tuner that is built in to there 50" LG plasma which is full HD 1080p.

That is why I am thinking of buying them both a Technika Freeview HD reciver.
  • MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV King wrote: »
    That is why I am thinking of buying them both a Technika Freeview HD reciver.

Is it worth the hassle of having a set top box just so you can get HD versions of channels you already have?

If you were getting them a PVR, then it would be worthwhile.
    Do they miss being able to record like they could on the Sky+ box?
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My nan and grandad can no longer use there Sky+ HD PVR because they have recently downsized and moved in to sheltered housing which does not have a Satalite dish.

And they do not want to pay a monthly subscription as they are happy with what Freeview offers.

They are currently using the SD tuner that is built in to there 50" LG plasma which is full HD 1080p.
    Ok fair enough, although i didn't know Panasonic did a full 1080p plasma with only an SD tuner.

To answer your questions:
    Has anyone used this particular reciver and how are you getting on with it?
    Yes, we have one (a £20 Tesco refurb) and it's been very stable and reliable, although we have stuck with the older (non iPlayer) firmware as we have no need for it.
    Does it have an optical, coaxial socket or left (yellow) and right (red) audio inputs on the back of the reciver?
    The back of mine has an orange Spdif socket and also the yellow, red and white composite sockets.
    And to access BBC iPlayer do you have to connect it to your router via the ethanet socket or can you just conect it to a phone line socket?
    Ethernet
    And can you conect it to BBC iPlayer using Wi Fi?
    No WiFi capability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Ok fair enough, although i didn't know Panasonic did a full 1080p plasma with only an SD tuner.

To answer your questions:

Yes, we have one (a £20 Tesco refurb) and it's been very stable and reliable, although we have stuck with the older (non iPlayer) firmware as we have no need for it.

The back of mine has an orange Spdif socket and also the yellow, red and white composite sockets.

Ethernet

No WiFi capability.

Thank you for your very kind help and for taking time to reply to my post.

The plasma that my nan and grandad have is an LG (Life's Good) and not a Panasonic.

This is the Technika Freeview HD reciver that is currently on the Tesco web site for £49.50 that I am thinking of buying my nan and grandad.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/technika-freeview-hd-with-bbc-iplayer/450-1309.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=450-1309

Please could some one tell me what the model number is?

I have done a Google search and there are so many different model numbers for Technika Freeview HD recivers that are the same as the one that I have linked too.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could some one tell me what the model number is?
    That is the STBHDIS2010, which is the model that about 99% of the posts on this and other similar threads on thse forums are about. I have two of them, both obtained for £20 through the Tesco eBay outlet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    That is the STBHDIS2010, which is the model that about 99% of the posts on this and other similar threads on thse forums are about. I have two of them, both obtained for £20 through the Tesco eBay outlet.

Thank you for your very kind help and for taking time to reply to my post.

How are you getting on with your two Technika STBHDIS2010?

Have you come across any major problems?

Have you had the picture brake up, freeze or the recivers lock up?

Also how is the EPG and is it fast to populate?

And can you delete channels that you don't want and then not see them on the EPG?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you getting on with your two Technika STBHDIS2010?
    Very well, they are used pretty extensively, more for iPlayer than for HD actually.
    Have you come across any major problems?
    Nothing major. iPlayer sometimes fails to find the file when you first play a programme and you have to press the Back button and try again. It would also be nice if it remembered where you'd got to in a program, like the web version does.
    Have you had the picture brake up, freeze or the recivers lock up?
    Might have locked up once or twice during the time I've had them, but that's common to most receivers I've had.
    Also how is the EPG and is it fast to populate?
    Fine, reasonably good layout, fast to populate, even after the box is powered off (which I would not advise doing as it significantly increases the time to load iPlayer, just leave it in standby when not in use).
    And can you delete channels that you don't want and then not see them on the EPG?
    Yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very well, they are used pretty extensively, more for iPlayer than for HD actually.

Nothing major. iPlayer sometimes fails to find the file when you first play a programme and you have to press the Back button and try again. It would also be nice if it remembered where you'd got to in a program, like the web version does.

Might have locked up once or twice during the time I've had them, but that's common to most receivers I've had.

Fine, reasonably good layout, fast to populate, even after the box is powered off (which I would not advise doing as it significantly increases the time to load iPlayer, just leave it in standby when not in use).

Yes.

Thank you for your very kind help this is most useful.

I have one more question regarding BBC iPlayer.

To get BBC iPlayer I have been told that you need to use the Ethernet socket on the back of the reciver.

Does the other end of the Ethernet cable just need to be connected to your Internet router or is there there another way?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the other end of the Ethernet cable just need to be connected to your Internet router or is there there another way?
    That's right, though both of mine are connected via Powerline adapters as the router is in a different room.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right, though both of mine are connected via Powerline adapters as the router is in a different room.

Thank you for your very kind help and fast to responses.

Powerline adapters they are plugs that you plug in to the wall and then have a Ethernet socket on the bottom. And use your homes internal wiring.

So if there Internet router is to far from there Technika reciver then if they got some Powerline adapters then they would just have to Conect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet sock on the back of the Technika reciver and the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Powerline adapter and then plug it in to a mains wall socket switch it on at the wall?

Also how much do Powerline adapters cost and were can you buy them from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerline adapters they are plugs that you plug in to the wall and then have a Ethernet socket on the bottom. And use your homes internal wiring.
    Yes.
    So if there Internet router is to far from there Technika reciver then if they got some Powerline adapters then they would just have to Conect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet sock on the back of the Technika reciver and the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Powerline adapter and then plug it in to a mains wall socket switch it on at the wall?
    Right again!
    Also how much do Powerline adapters cost and were can you buy them from?

Huge range and cost variation, many, many suppliers, but I can recommend these and the current Amazon price is the lowest I've seen (but it changes almost daily as do most Amazon prices)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/

That's a pair of adapters, complete with Ethernet cables.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member

You can also use a wireless bridge/wireless client adapter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Never use powerline adapters.
    It was only a matter of time!
  • stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Cables were designed for Telegraphic communications way back.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your very kind help which is most appreciated.

If I do go a head and buy the Technika STBHDIS2010 for my nan and grandad this Christmas I might be able to on Christmas day conect it up to the LCD TV in my office room just so I can check what software version the reciver is running and if so updated via USB using my TDK 4GB USB stick.

This would be a big help for them as I don't want them to get back to there home with the reciver and experience problems with it. And they would not know how to update the software via USB.

Please could someone tell me how I would update the Software on the Technika STBHDIS2010 via USB?

Also what is the latest software version for the Technika STBHDIS2010?

And after doing a Google search for the Technika STBHDIS2010 I have read that the box does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 that some of the HD channels carry even if you conect the reciver up to surround sound amp via the optical socket situated on the rear of the reciver. Is this true?

Also does the Technika STBHDIS2010 include an HDMI lead in the box?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could someone tell me how I would update the Software on the Technika STBHDIS2010 via USB?
    That information has been posted here, but I'll send you a PM.
    Also what is the latest software version for the Technika STBHDIS2010?
    225/226
    And after doing a Google search for the Technika STBHDIS2010 I have read that the box does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 that some of the HD channels carry even if you conect the reciver up to surround sound amp via the optical socket situated on the rear of the reciver. Is this true?
    Sorry, don't do surround sound so couldn't tell you. It's not mentioned in the User Guide.
    Also does the Technika STBHDIS2010 include an HDMI lead in the box?
    No, but you can get them in Poundland/Poundworld. Absolutely no need to pay more unless you need a longer one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you kasg for your continued and very king help.

And the PM is in my inbox now just wating to be read so thank for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Guys,

Been having problems locating the latest software version for my Technika STBHDIS2010HY box. The Channel Zero website is permanently unavailable. :confused:

I'd really appreciate it if anyone with a download link & instructions could send me a quick PM/e-mail.

Thanks in advance :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62109721&postcount=165

Incidentally, the Channel Zero website http://www.ch-zero.tv/ is working fine for me, but it won't do you any good as they've gone bust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry but I have a few more question about the Technika STBHDIS2010.

Please can someone confirm to me that the Technika STBHDIS2010 will happily work as it should with out Channel Zero?

I understand from reading this thread that Channel Zero has gone bust?

So how does the loss of Channel Zero affect the Technika STBHDIS2010?

Also what happens if you press the Channel Zero button or just press 0 now that Channel Zero has gone bust?

And now that Channel Zero has gone bust does this affect BBC iPlayer on the Technika STBHDIS2010 when you conect the reciver to the Internet via the Ethernet Socket.

And how do you access BBC iPlayer i.e. is there an option for it or is it accessed via the BBC Red Button interactive service on any on air BBC channel?

And here is a link to the online user manual for the Technika STBHDIS2010.

http://www.tescotechsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/STBHDIS2010_en.pdf
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    I am very sorry but I have a few more question about the Technika STBHDIS2010.

Please can someone confirm to me that the Technika STBHDIS2010 will happily work as it should with out Channel Zero?

Yes, bar Channel Zero services.
    I understand from reading this thread that Channel Zero has gone bust?

Correct. (Well, actually, the company Electra have gone bust, Channel Zero is merely the name of the service)
    So how does the loss of Channel Zero affect the Technika STBHDIS2010?

You lose anything beyond the Trove/Channel Zero button.
    Also what happens if you press the Channel Zero button or just press 0 now that Channel Zero has gone bust?

You get the Channel Zero services, but they are stuck at May 2012. With older firmware, you don't even see Channel Zero as the OTA version ceased being broadcast a while back.
    And now that Channel Zero has gone bust does this affect BBC iPlayer on the Technika STBHDIS2010 when you conect the reciver to the Internet via the Ethernet Socket.

Not yet.
    And how do you access BBC iPlayer i.e. is there an option for it or is it accessed via the BBC Red Button interactive service on any on air BBC channel?

It is accessed through the Trove/Channel Zero button on the remote.

In short: Channel Zero services are still present provided you are on firmware version 2xx. They will be stuck in the past but still work whilst the relevant servers are up. BBC iPlayer is up-to-date but the application used to access it cannot be updated any more.

When the servers stop being accessible even v2xx firmware will stop receiving Channel Zero and therefore the application to access iPlayer. This is only a problem when the box is powered off completely and it needs to reload. If it is never switched off it will continue to work (well, until it freezes and has to be reset!)

There are plans afoot to keep the server up, or at least get some sort of workaround.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you crisy for your very kind help.

So if my nan and grandad decide not to conect the Technika STBHIS2010 to the Internet using its Ethernet socket and just use it as Freeview box will it work as it should?

Also when new channels come to Freeview such as the new UKTV slot in January next will the Technika STBJIS2010 pick them up after a auto retune?

It seems that the loss of Channel Zero only affects to Technika STBHIS2010 IPTV online services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if my nan and grandad decide not to conect the Technika STBHIS2010 to the Internet using its Ethernet socket and just use it as Freeview box will it work as it should?
    Yes.
    Also when new channels come to Freeview such as the new UKTV slot in January next will the Technika STBJIS2010 pick them up after a auto retune?
    Yes.
    It seems that the loss of Channel Zero only affects to Technika STBHIS2010 IPTV online services.
    Yes, although iPlayer is the only "IPTV online" service, the other Channel Zero services have stopped updating and the box does not have access to the IPTV services on the Freeview EPG (channel 225 upwards).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for you for very kind help.

And a big thanks to kasg and crisy for your very kind help which was very useful and it is most appreciated.

Next week I will be going to my nearest Tesco Extra to buy the Technika STBHDI2010 for my nan and grandads Christmas present as my local store does not stock then.

And I have quite a few discount vouchers so I can get it a lot cheap which is great.

Once again thank you for all your very kind help.