Dallas :season 3, Channel 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
Forum Member
✭✭
I have noticed that the new season is starting in the US on 24th February.

Does anyone know when it is starting in the UK on Channel 5?

Comments

• Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 5 seem to be dropping shows that are not getting high ratings then I'd be surprised if they don't drop this since it wasn't great for them ratings wise. And the fact they moved it from their primetime spot to a late night one tells me they don't believe its doing great. Personally I enjoyed it and hope they do show it.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Since 5 seem to be dropping shows that are not getting high ratings then I'd be surprised if they don't drop this since it wasn't great for them ratings wise. And the fact they moved it from their primetime spot to a late night one tells me they don't believe its doing great. Personally I enjoyed it and hope they do show it.

I enjoyed it too - although it was never going to be able to hold a candle to the original (which I watched from the start back in 1978 - I was 13!) it really had something that drew you in... well, three major things that drew you in, and that was the triumvirate of 'J.R.', 'Sue Ellen' and 'Bobby' back together on our screens. Sadly Larry Hagman's health meant he had to scale things back, and then the awful news came of his death. If that didn't have at least something to do with the dip in ratings then I'll eat my hat, but it probably wasn't the only reason.

And then, as you say, they moved the time slot - we found we could only keep track of it via having on series link in our Sky planner! And that's not good for the more casual viewer who watches things when they just happen to stumble over them while channel surfing, either doesn't want to, or doesn't have the means to, put it on to 'series record', but relies on it being in the same place the next week.

I'd probably watch it if it came back, but it would have storylines strong enough to hold its own without having one of the main reasons for reviving it at all coming back. And, I think in this 21st century Dallas, we can be pretty much assured that he won't come back with a different head, miraculously 'back from the dead' a la Jock Ewing. (Nor - sadly, and I mean sadly, I cried during the eulogies scene when they filmed J.R.'s funeral - will he be able to emerge from Sue Ellen's shower :()

Whether Channel 5 will want to pick it up again is doubtful, though - do they have sole rights/first option on it or could another channel (although it would have to be a non free-to-air one, unfortunately) pick it up? Would it be worth it for a minority share of what would be an even smaller audience pf fans by the time you take out the ones who can't access pay-to-view TV at all?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    According to their FAQ section on their website they have the rights to season 3 but no air dates as yet
    Will you be showing Series 3?

We can confirm that we have acquired the rights to Series 3, but it is too early to say when it will be shown.

Here is the link - http://about.channel5.com/faqs/programmes-a-to-e
  • Fee77Fee77 Posts: 3,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere it would back on CH5 sometime in the summer. While to wait yet :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies everyone! :):)

I hope that C5 do show it. They treated the last season abysmally just moving it around the late night schedule.

I found the new Dallas both gripping and well written. Although it isn't comparable to the original series - when are remakes ever as good as the originals?
  • Imogen_GaleontiImogen_Galeonti Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I hate it when channel 5 air US shows because they mess up the schedule. Anyway can't wait for the dramas in the new series of Dallas! Sue Ellen is my favourite :)
  • Vardon78Vardon78 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I read somewhere last year that series 3 of Dallas would be split into 2 parts, with the first 7 or 8 episodes airing in the US from next week and the remaining 6 or 7 airing in the Summer. This is being done so fans do not have to wait a whole year in the US between series. This is most likely the reason behind Channel 5 airing it in the Summer, to air them all in one go.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to see 5 have got the rights to Dallas but i have a feeling they will either show it at 11pm like they did with most of the 2nd series or move it 5*/5USA. i think the reason its ratings fell dramatically last series was because they put it on a Tuesday instead of Wednesday and it was up against some big dramas on itv and BBC.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to find other ways of watching
  • casperfan2002@ycasperfan2002@y Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good news is the 3-way picture credits are back!!!
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder also if they will keep the original font, and the lettering style of the surname being about twice as big as the first name.

Yes, I know I am a saddo :)
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't waiting for Ch5, gonna watch via 'other means' later.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ain't waiting for Ch5, gonna watch via 'other means' later.
    I already have ;) and am pleased to report that John Ross is still prettier than all of the females put together. :p
  • Rozzi RainbowRozzi Rainbow Posts: 171
    Forum Member

Thanks for posting this - just looked it up on YouTube and love it!! :D They really should have done it like that from the start.

Can't believe we have to wait ages till Channel 5 show it :cry: Wish they'd just show the first episodes now seeing as the US have them :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this - just looked it up on YouTube and love it!! :D They really should have done it like that from the start.

Can't believe we have to wait ages till Channel 5 show it :cry: Wish they'd just show the first episodes now seeing as the US have them :(

Channel5's attitude to US shows is disgraceful, they shouldn't even be allowed to bid for them.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear that TNT are branding a petrol station in Manhattan as a "Ewing Energies" one.

http://youtu.be/Wb9VqVPnuoo
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I saw it this afternoon. It was really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night, getting very repetitive now with various players swapping sides. Well what else do you expect, this is Dallas:)
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,054
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night and we started doing other things about half way through, it was very samey. The original run had a similar problem towards the end but at least they had decent actors.

The younger actors have never been particularly good but they seem shocking this time around. John Ross in particular seems have become ridiculously camp.

I was impressed with Christopher growing a full beard in 12 hours though.

:D
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I missed the start of the new series then?
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    Have I missed the start of the new series then?
    Nope, just this thread being hijacked by people viewing at US pace via dubious means.

CH5 has it to screen here, but hasn't set a date yet.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone send a PM with links to watch?
    I'd be very grateful
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know if / when this is lightly to be back on Channel 5 :(
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I've read 'summer' so hopefully next month
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks ... I heard summer too ... was just hoping to see some trailers or hear a date by now ...