Kill switch now law in CA, from July 2015

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.tgdaily.com/mobile/100386-smartphone-kill-switch-legislation-passes-in-ca
So how does one use an open source ROM now then?
A sort of positive is that cheap spare parts will likely become ten a penny.

This has more questions than answers.

Comments

• artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a semi-controversial bill bouncing around the California Senate that would force smartphone manufacturers to include a ‘kill switch’ feature that would brick a device if lost or stolen, rendering it useless until the original owner reactivates it.
    So exactly what they already have now!

Call service provider
    Me "Hi, I've lost my phone, could you block it please"
    Service provider "Certainly, do you know the IMEI or your phone number?"
    Me "Yes, it's 34567-65432-12233445"
    Service provider "Ok, that should be blocked within a few minutes. bal bal ba"
    Me "Thanks."

2 minutes later, phone dead!

So why make it law, when the only way providers can kill it is when you do what you already do now!?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    So exactly what they already have now!
    That works in the UK/EU, but in the US they have CDMA, and GSM networks, and I'm not sure they share information as we do in the UK.
    (Obviously all the thief does is sell the phone in Mexico !)
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also blocking network access is nothing like killing the actual phone, the main concern is with the data on the device itself.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Also blocking network access is nothing like killing the actual phone, the main concern is with the data on the device itself.

No it isn't. It's about making it impossible for someone other than the owner of a device to use it if it's lost or stolen.

The state government here wants to reduce crime.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, define "use"?

The only thing that's prevented is SIM based access to the mobile network.

In my example, my O2 phone can access the network over WiFi anyway, so a "blocked" phone could still make and receive calls using my O2 mobile account. Further, it'd still work as a smartphone, accessing my emails, Facebook, personal data, music, photos, there's even a saved account for remote control of my desktop and work computers. A blocked phone in the UK could still be easily exported and sold in other countries outside the EU. Hell, you could easily find where I lived off it and then park outside and leech off my WiFi all day as well. Though I'd probably notice that pretty quick.

Blocking IMEIs is an archaic security system made in the old days when phones could do nothing other than make phone calls. These days, 90% of the usefulness of a smartphone is outwith the actual "phone" functionality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All IMEI blocking does in this country is render your iPhone an iPod touch.