Options

Why does ebay allow people to advertise memory sticks under £1 when they don't sell

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why does ebay allow people to advertise memory sticks under £1 when they don't sell memory sticks under £1?

I need a new memory stick (http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2017287)

I searched on ebay and there are loads of sellers promising cheap memory sticks under £1. But you have to choose the size: 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, etc. NONE of the sizes can be bought for the stated price under £1. There's always a con item in there, eg a cloth, that costs 99p.

Why does ebay let them get away with that?

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hmm, well it's not a question of ebay 'allowing' is it. Ebay is just a platform for people to market their wares. Anyway, who's going to be taken in by USB sticks that cost £1. They're gonna be crap aren't they.

It is difficult choosing one because none of the pro reviews agree that USB x is the best and USB y is the worst, and looking at Amazon and other customer reviews of sticks with several hundred reviews, each USB stick has around the same number of 5 star reviews as it does 1 star reviews.

So what do you do? Well Kingston make some good ones, so do Crucial, and Sandisk too, with good data transfer rates both copy and write. I've got an old USB 2.0 16GB stick, the Patriot XT Xporter and I've never seen faster data rates for USB 2.0. I tried to get hold of another one a few months ago but only one was available, an 8GB, and it was used and £45, or something daft like that.

I went round in circles comparing group test data for USB 3.0 drives 4 months ago and in the end I'd had enough. I thought I'll just buy this one, don't remember what it was now, a Kingston I think. Then I looked at one more test and came across a drive that hadn't cropped up or I hadn't noticed in any of the other reviews and I thought, what's this?

After a bit of digging around, that's what I bought, and it's the AData DashDrive Elite S102 Pro or just S102 will do. I've got a 16GB and an 8GB and so far they seem okay. Tough aluminium alloy construction, plastic endcap snaps on tightly to end of stick, but no indicator light, which might put some people off (not me) and lifetime warranty.

There's hardly any pro reviews, I only found two: http://www.zompler.com/2014/07/adata-dashdrive-elite-s102-pro-64gb-usb-3-flash-drive-review.html and http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/52098-adata-s102-pro-usb-30-flash-drive-32gb/

Well that's it really. AData make a range of S102s 8 - 64GB and whilst not the fastest, it's well made and does the job for a good price. Here's the 16GB (blue) on Amazon for £9.47: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-Value-Driven-Effortless-Upgrade-AS102P-16G-RBL/dp/B008FQV3EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413212788&sr=8-1&keywords=ADATA+Value-Driven+S102+Pro+Effortless+Upgrade+16GB
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Hmm, well it's not a question of ebay 'allowing' is it. Ebay is just a platform for people to market their wares. Anyway, who's going to be taken in by USB sticks that cost £1. They're gonna be crap aren't they.

It is difficult choosing one because none of the pro reviews agree that USB x is the best and USB y is the worst, and looking at Amazon and other customer reviews of sticks with several hundred reviews, each USB stick has around the same number of 5 star reviews as it does 1 star reviews.

So what do you do? Well Kingston make some good ones, so do Crucial, and Sandisk too, with good data transfer rates both copy and write. I've got an old USB 2.0 16GB stick, the Patriot XT Xporter and I've never seen faster data rates for USB 2.0. I tried to get hold of another one a few months ago but only one was available, an 8GB, and it was used and £45, or something daft like that.

I went round in circles comparing group test data for USB 3.0 drives 4 months ago and in the end I'd had enough. I thought I'll just buy this one, don't remember what it was now, a Kingston I think. Then I looked at one more test and came across a drive that hadn't cropped up or I hadn't noticed in any of the other reviews and I thought, what's this?

After a bit of digging around, that's what I bought, and it's the AData DashDrive Elite S102 Pro or just S102 will do. I've got a 16GB and an 8GB and so far they seem okay. Tough aluminium alloy construction, plastic endcap snaps on tightly to end of stick, but no indicator light, which might put some people off (not me) and lifetime warranty.

There's hardly any pro reviews, I only found two: http://www.zompler.com/2014/07/adata-dashdrive-elite-s102-pro-64gb-usb-3-flash-drive-review.html and http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/52098-adata-s102-pro-usb-30-flash-drive-32gb/

Well that's it really. AData make a range of S102s 8 - 64GB and whilst not the fastest, it's well made and does the job for a good price. Here's the 16GB (blue) on Amazon for £9.47: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADATA-Value-Driven-Effortless-Upgrade-AS102P-16G-RBL/dp/B008FQV3EI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413212788&sr=8-1&keywords=ADATA+Value-Driven+S102+Pro+Effortless+Upgrade+16GB

Appreciate the thoughts, but if memory sticks are as unreliable as I found in the link from post 1, then I might as well get super cheap ones.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi there, I've had loads of USB sticks and none of them have been unreliable except the cheap and nasty one I bought from Lidl. If you always safely eject them and use them properly they should last a couple of years before they go tits up, and all mine have gone to USB heaven except for the Patriot. You always get plenty of warning though.

For me I think it's false economy to buy cheap, just as I think it's daft to pay £30 for an 8GB stick. If you go with the middle ground, Sandisk, Kingston or Crucial then I doubt you'll be disappointed. £1...you certainly will be disappointed.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And setting a minimum price (of say £3) does not even exclude them.

This is one very good reason that Ebay is unusable these days. It takes forever to just find a reasonably priced thing from a reasonable seller.

Contrast that Ebay tat-fest with the Amazon experience, much easier to find what you want.
  • Options
    ChanfronChanfron Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I remember looking up phone prices on ebay and one of the stores I looked at was selling lots of memory sticks dirt cheap, when you looked at the negative feedback there was page after pages of complaints regarding them.

They were selling noname 128Gb sticks for like £6-8, at the time the cheapest one on scan was like £45-50, most comments were either it don't work, its a fake, its not 128gb but 8gb etc.
    Don't people wonder why a £50 stick is for sale for £6 and then are surprised that it is a fake/don't work/incorrect size etc
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When 32GB USB drives were the latest thing, I bought a cheap one on fleaBay. Turned out to be a hacked 2GB device. It showed as 32GB in Windows, but in use just kept over-writing existing data. Amazingly, I got a refund.

My fav drive ATM is a Sandisk Extreme 32GB USB3. Even on a USB2 socket, I get 30MBps+ write. Around 25 notes.