Options

Pregnanat woman leaves anti-abortionists speechless.

ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I saw this in the Mirror. The pregnant woman response to the anti-abortionists,in the accompanying video, is amazing.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-pregnant-charity-workers-awesome-4750291

Comments

• Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much respect for that women, anti abortionist campaigners need to wind their necks in and leave these women well alone. Sanctimonious Berkshires
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's great. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Well done whoever you are. She made a brilliant point about how not all women will be getting abortions willy nilly. It would be nice if they could give birth and then have it adopted but if they can't, it's perfectly understandable. She was great though. Of course, the others weren't decent enough to pack up and leave. That fella with the camera is probably an absolute liar! He wasn't recording. Pfft! So why have the camera strapped to your upper body for?
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this in the Mirror. The pregnant woman response to the anti-abortionists,in the accompanying video, is amazing.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-pregnant-charity-workers-awesome-4750291

Interesting that a bloke protesting outside the clinic with that camera and will never ever be in the position of a girl/woman who may have been raped, molested or become pregnant from forced incest among many reason's why a woman would go to an abortion clinic for advice or an abortion.

Good footage.
  • Options
    PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    bootyache wrote: »
    Interesting that a bloke protesting outside the clinic with that camera and will never ever be in the position of a girl/woman who may have been raped, molested or become pregnant from forced incest among many reason's why a woman would go to an abortion clinic for advice or an abortion.

Good footage.

I don't think the shape of someone's genitals has any bearing on anyone's right to an opinion on abortion. Those aborted are both male and female.

I'm all for free speech on this issue. Protest and counter protest is absolutely fine. People who can't accept protest or counter protest on this issue are wrong. It's quite a fundamental thing worth disagreeing about.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I don't think the shape of someone's genitals has any bearing on anyone's right to an opinion on abortion. Those aborted are both male and female.

I'm all for free speech on this issue. Protest and counter protest is absolutely fine. People who can't accept protest or counter protest on this issue are wrong. It's quite a fundamental thing worth disagreeing about.

Dont you agree that the way its done is distasteful?

Protest to government? Fine. Sending mail to abortion clinics? A pain to the postman and whoever opens it maybe. But protesting in front of a clinic where women are currently going in/inside/coming out for the procedure? Wrong.

Also most of the images they use come from illegal abortions. If they got their way and made abortion illegal then all they suceed in doing is making every future abortion as disgusting as the images they shove in peoples faces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Dont you agree that the way its done is distasteful?

Protest to government? Fine. Sending mail to abortion clinics? A pain to the postman and whoever opens it maybe. But protesting in front of a clinic where women are currently going in/inside/coming out for the procedure? Wrong.

Also most of the images they use come from illegal abortions. If they got their way and made abortion illegal then all they suceed in doing is making every future abortion as disgusting as the images they shove in peoples faces.

I think it's perfectly valid public protest, as is counter protest. If it offends or upsets people that's just tough. I'm not entitled to live my life without being offended or upset and free speech is paramount on issues of great importance.
    What happens in legal abortions which is nicer than the illegal ones?
  • Options
    hulakulahulakula Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

I think that people are allowed to disagree with abortions and I think it should be debated. However I don't think it is acceptable to use fake images of alledgely aborted embroys under 9 weeks to try and trick women into exercising their rights to what they want with their own bodies. Using intimidation, harrassment and shaming to try and force them into making the wrong decision. These anti abortion protesters aren't interested in debate they just want to force their own opinions onto other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hulakula wrote: »
    I think that people are allowed to disagree with abortions and I think it should be debated. However I don't think it is acceptable to use fake images of alledgely aborted embroys under 9 weeks to try and trick women into exercising their rights to what they want with their own bodies. Using intimidation, harrassment and shaming to try and force them into making the wrong decision. These anti abortion protesters aren't interested in debate they just want to force their own opinions onto other people.
    Oh absolutely, nobody should use fake images. Has that happened? I'm definitely opposed to intimidation, harrassment and shaming too but I think protest and counter protest outside abortion clinics is entirely acceptable and, indeed, valuable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone can have an opinion on anything. That is not the point I was making.

How can a man ever understand what a woman goes through if pregnancy is the result of rape or sexual abuse?

No one is saying a man has no right to an opinion on abortion. Look at the context I'm talking about please.

And please don't tell me that those that are aborted are both male and female which is such an obvious thing to say. Don't be so condesending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh absolutely, nobody should use fake images. Has that happened? I'm definitely opposed to intimidation, harrassment and shaming too but I think protest and counter protest outside abortion clinics is entirely acceptable and, indeed, valuable.

I think it is very dangerous, women should be well informed by trained medical professions who know what they are talking about, not bombarded with false information by people with an agenda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anti abortion protesters like the ones in this video are the equivalent of walking around a maternity ward telling all the new mothers how they should have had abortions and showing them all the horrible things that could happen to their babies in this world.

I advocate abortion, however I don't shove it down people's throats. These people are free to believe what they want but they cross the line when they encroah on the people who are having to make this hard decision.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! She told them. Good for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Everyone can have an opinion on anything. That is not the point I was making.

How can a man ever understand what a woman goes through if pregnancy is the result of rape or sexual abuse?

No one is saying a man has no right to an opinion on abortion. Look at the context I'm talking about please.

And please don't tell me that those that are aborted are both male and female which is such an obvious thing to say. Don't be so condesending.

You get to decide what you say in YOUR posts, not what I say in mine. On your main point, although men will not literally understand such an experience by experiencing it themselves, men are capable of empathy and of a degree of understanding when emotional disress is relayed to them.

Women are also capable of understanding and empathising with others with regard to things they have not experienced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it is very dangerous, women should be well informed by trained medical professions who know what they are talking about, not bombarded with false information by people with an agenda.

Yes, and those trained professionals only ever inform without taking any kind of persuasive role in the process eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noooway wrote: »
    Anti abortion protesters like the ones in this video are the equivalent of walking around a maternity ward telling all the new mothers how they should have had abortions and showing them all the horrible things that could happen to their babies in this world.

I advocate abortion, however I don't shove it down people's throats. These people are free to believe what they want but they cross the line when they encroah on the people who are having to make this hard decision.
    You advocate abortion? That's odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get to decide what you say in YOUR posts, not what I say in mine. On your main point, although men will not literally understand such an experience by experiencing it themselves, men are capable of empathy and of a degree of understanding when emotional disress is relayed to them.

Women are also capable of understanding and empathising with others with regard to things they have not experienced.

That is not the point I was making or nowhere near it I'm afraid.

If you insist on being condesending to me, please leave my post alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is not the point or nowhere near it I'm afraid.

If you insist on being condesending to me, please leave my post alone.

Certainly not and I insist on nothing.
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That woman was great!
  • Options
    Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As both a midwife and someone who suffered a miscarriage at 10 weeks I can tell you that firstly that picture publicising a foetus at 10 weeks is a complete lie, the development is too advanced and also because they've blown the picture up it also distorts that the foetus is not even a inch long, hold out your hand to give you an idea of the life that is. Neural development has begun but its not too the stage you would claim to be life, capable of thoughts and feelings or processing pain, remember people feel pain because of the neural connections, this is why you could have your hand under a boiling tap but if your neurological senses haven't processed it you won't react to the pain.

Secondly when I had my miscarriage is was emotionally horrid not because I was losing a baby but because I was losing the future of a child, I actually passed the foetus and sac without even knowing apart from cramps and heavy bleeding. no limbs, no human looking body, just blood which is mainly the lining of the uterus and I had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

I believe in the right to protest, but this isn't protesting its intimidation, and what I believe has really angered the women in the video is the Kids Company would be counselling young girls who may have to make this choice and most like would probably use that particular clinic, which is why the choice of that spot is in poor taste. If they want to protest what not take their disgusting propaganda to Piccadilly square or parliament as wouldn't that receive more media attention? Rather than do what their actually doing which is shaming women who are ready to make their decision. Believe me when I say there have been many women of all different walks of life who have come through my care and have decided because of medical, emotional or social reasons to not continue their pregnancy and I have never ever come across a women who has been flippant or unaffected by it.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I dont understand them. I just googled their group out of interest and they claim they will stop targetting abortion clinics, if the clinics show women going in a picture of the foetus live, and a picture of it after the abortion.

Now their banners in the campaign were around the 7-9 week mark. The before and after pictures would be in reality exactly the same, except for the background. However i almost guarentee their pictures used in their protests dont reflect that at all.

But why on earth would showing women a picture of a foetus affect them in the way they hope? They know what to expect. Women arent stupid. They are told about the procedure and know what they are likely to see/experience.

You wouldnt expect a doctor to turn up on a cancer ward and show the patients who are refusing treatment photos of corpses would you? Likewise you wouldnt show them detailed photos of tumours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, and those trained professionals only ever inform without taking any kind of persuasive role in the process eh?

From my personal experience they were very informative and gave a very balanced view they didn't try to persuade me to do anything. They just gave me the facts and let me make my own decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flubber. wrote: »
    As both a midwife and someone who suffered a miscarriage at 10 weeks I can tell you that firstly that picture publicising a foetus at 10 weeks is a complete lie, the development is too advanced and also because they've blown the picture up it also distorts that the foetus is not even a inch long, hold out your hand to give you an idea of the life that is. Neural development has begun but its not too the stage you would claim to be life, capable of thoughts and feelings or processing pain, remember people feel pain because of the neural connections, this is why you could have your hand under a boiling tap but if your neurological senses haven't processed it you won't react to the pain.

Secondly when I had my miscarriage is was emotionally horrid not because I was losing a baby but because I was losing the future of a child, I actually passed the foetus and sac without even knowing apart from cramps and heavy bleeding. no limbs, no human looking body, just blood which is mainly the lining of the uterus and I had a perfectly normal pregnancy.

I believe in the right to protest, but this isn't protesting its intimidation, and what I believe has really angered the women in the video is the Kids Company would be counselling young girls who may have to make this choice and most like would probably use that particular clinic, which is why the choice of that spot is in poor taste. If they want to protest what not take their disgusting propaganda to Piccadilly square or parliament as wouldn't that receive more media attention? Rather than do what their actually doing which is shaming women who are ready to make their decision. Believe me when I say there have been many women of all different walks of life who have come through my care and have decided because of medical, emotional or social reasons to not continue their pregnancy and I have never ever come across a women who has been flippant on unaffected by it.
    If abortion is a perfectly legitimate choice, why can't those who choose to undergo this procedure accept public protest on the issue from those who disagree? If there's nothing wrong with it, how can anyone be "shamed"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From my personal experience they were very informative and gave a very balanced view they didn't try to persuade me to do anything. They just gave me the facts and let me make my own decision.

That's not always the case though, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's not always the case though, is it?

How would you know? What is your experience of abortion?