Remastered games.

124»

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metro Redux

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjwylwJjUY&list=UU6XGqPhLktO4equS99J2ENw

Not played these, so might be worth a look.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have rather paid £150 extra to have backward compatability. It's one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded and probably won't.

But it's safe to say you're very much in the minority when it comes to that viewpoint. The PS3 sales were very poor until the price cut - which was only really made possible due to removing the PS2 backwards compatibility. At £350, both the Xbone and the PS4 are not drops in the ocean. Push that up to nearly £500 and you've got a fight on your hands.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    But it's safe to say you're very much in the minority when it comes to that viewpoint. The PS3 sales were very poor until the price cut - which was only really made possible due to removing the PS2 backwards compatibility. At £350, both the Xbone and the PS4 are not drops in the ocean. Push that up to nearly £500 and you've got a fight on your hands.

Agreed.

While I would have loved bc and would have happily paid for it, it would kill a console to be that much more expensive.

Look at the X1. The initial higher price did it no favours and it's just now it's at a decent price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Agreed.

While I would have loved bc and would have happily paid for it, it would kill a console to be that much more expensive.

Look at the X1. The initial higher price did it no favours and it's just now it's at a decent price.

Yep. Meanwhile, Wii U is backwardly compatible with one of the biggest consoles of all time, which has done it no favours whatsoever. Console manufacturers aren't going to invest money, and raise prices for features that the consumer simply isn't that bothered about.

It's a nice feature to have, but it's no deal breaker.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be technically possible to add BC through a USB add-on?

Say a device for PS4 which includes enough hardware to allow it to run PS3, PS2 and PS1 games (And the same equivalent for XB1).

What I really want when I buy a new system these days is to have that one box under the TV. I would also like access to play all my favourite games on that box so having BC is a nice feature for me, if that's not possible having all those games available to buy as remasters is the next best option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Would it be technically possible to add BC through a USB add-on?

Say a device for PS4 which includes enough hardware to allow it to run PS3, PS2 and PS1 games (And the same equivalent for XB1).

What I really want when I buy a new system these days is to have that one box under the TV. I would also like access to play all my favourite games on that box so having BC is a nice feature for me, if that's not possible having all those games available to buy as remasters is the next best option.

I don't think even USB3 would have the bandwidth needed to throw that much data about. Perhaps if the consoles had a dedicated expansion port straight to the motherboard then retro modules could be bought and fitted.
    Forum Member
    Let's not forget PS Now been another major factor as to why PS4 is in no ways bc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget PS Now been another major factor as to why PS4 is in no ways bc.

Rumours persist that PS4 will be able to play PS One and PS2 games locally in the future, enhancing them on the process. Whether these will be discs or just new digital downloads remains to be seen.
    Forum Member
    Rumours persist that PS4 will be able to play PS One and PS2 games locally in the future, enhancing them on the process. Whether these will be discs or just new digital downloads remains to be seen.

Disks ??? Pppffftttt .... Sony can't make money if we use our old disks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disks ??? Pppffftttt .... Sony can't make money if we use our old disks.

I agree it's unlikely, but you never know. It would be a big PR win for them.
    Forum Member
    I agree it's unlikely, but you never know. It would be a big PR win for them.

I suppose it depends on how many ps1&2 titles they sold on the ps3 store. If not many then they may allow us to use disks but if they sold a lot then they might not want to give up that revenue.

If they don't use disks they better let us keep what we've already bought digitally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If they don't use disks they better let us keep what we've already bought digitally.

Absolutely. They've been pretty good with cross-buy so far, so to take that away would be a massive disappointment.
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. They've been pretty good with cross-buy so far, so to take that away would be a massive disappointment.

That's true. They're not that bad I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't updated version of PS1/PS2 games on PS4 with added features like online play (where nessecary) and trophies etc, they wouldn't even need to update the graphics, just add a few bits and pieces and then sell them for a few quid

Crash 1-3, Resi 1-3, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid 1 with trophies for £3-8 each, take my money now
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metro Redux

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XkjwylwJjUY&list=UU6XGqPhLktO4equS99J2ENw

Not played these, so might be worth a look.

I've played them both and have redux pre-ordered, I highly recommend both if the games so redux should be fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    I've played them both and have redux pre-ordered, I highly recommend both if the games so redux should be fantastic.

Cool. Only £30 as well. Seems like a bargain for 2 games.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ordered Metro as well. Never played them last time.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I just ordered Metro as well. Never played them last time.

They are brilliant. Can't wait to play them again,
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member

If that's the case it will be software emulated. Because the hardware couldn't provide native support.

The PS4 has an x86 architecture CPU. It runs on a CPU and CPU language type that is totally different from PS1/PS2 (RISC) and PS3 (Power PC). Providing the kind of hardware support requires licensing costs and will not be cost effective (sorry Hotbird).

PSNow will be what Sony uses to give their customers the option to play PS3 games on PS4. They didn't invest in Gaikai for nothing.

If folks arent happy with that, I suggest they dust off their old PS3 and plug it in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    If that's the case it will be software emulated. Because the hardware couldn't provide native support.

The PS4 has an x86 architecture CPU. It runs on a CPU and CPU language type that is totally different from PS1/PS2 (RISC) and PS3 (Power PC). Providing the kind of hardware support requires licensing costs and will not be cost effective (sorry Hotbird).

PSNow will be what Sony uses to give their customers the option to play PS3 games on PS4. They didn't invest in Gaikai for nothing.

If folks arent happy with that, I suggest they dust off their old PS3 and plug it in.

Agreed. PS Now is the only hope for PS3 games on a PS4, but PS One and PS2 should be possible in software. Whether it will actually happen, and whether it's worth using if gets here, remains to be seen.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what difference it would have made to sales of the PS4 if it had have been b/c with PS3 discs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what difference it would have made to sales of the PS4 if it had have been b/c with PS3 discs.

Probably not much. Any sales gained would perhaps be offset by sales lost due to increased hardware cost.