Why do so many people have such a deep and intense hatred for cats ?

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Some people swear blind it's cats shitting in their garden / tearing up their rubbish bags when it is actually foxes.
    Definitely not foxes here.
    Cats tend to be very private when they want to toilet and they also tend to bury their droppings... Foxes don't!!
    Definitely not foxes here.
    I remember asking someone on here years ago how they knew it was a cat constantly shitting in their garden and they answered "I have seen the cat do it, several times" which begged the question why would you watch an animal defecate in your garden? repeatedly? I think that was the funniest thing I have ever read on here!!
    I have seen it several times. Unfortunately, being disabled, I can't always get up quick enough to frighten the damned thing away.
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    If only people who hurt or kill cats knew what it can put their owners through and the pain of finding your pet dead or never finding it at all.

I agree. That's another reason why I control mine and keep them in my house and garden and not wandering the streets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs and cats are our oldest companion animals and civilisation would not exist without them. I chose cats but I have an understanding of dogs. An empathetic relationship with animals is a unique ability of our species, and one that gives great pleasure to explore.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the reaction to my earlier posts - and thank you. I guess sometime I ought to learn how to multi quote - so sorry.

Cats are part of our social history - from ancient Egyptian and onwards, What we decide to do with then is part of our own social culture.

The real thing is - there are just far too many of them. People adopt cuddly kittens and then abandon them when they reach maturity - and the result are feral communities of breeding animals.

The answer is simple. If you want a cat - then adopt one. Then spend the money to have it neutered. Take the responsibility. One cat - get it neutered - and then nomore cats. A generation down the line would be a wanted animal and no more. It really isn't rocket science.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I deal with it by cleaning it up promptly and not whining like a pissy little bitch.
    Maybe you particularly enjoy cleaning up faeces but it's not everyone's idea of how best to spend their time.
    Basically? Because anybody who makes such a whining, bitching, moaning song and dance about their lawn and a plant or two therein is a monumental arse.
    Actually it is you who is behaving like a 'monumental arse', devoting time to trolling people on an internet forum instead of doing something productive.
    Yes, because I love my pets, and don't like people.
    Then maybe you'd do well to seek psychiatric help.
    People who whine and bitch and moan about trivialities even more so.
    You are not in a position decide whether problems caused to others are trivialities as you are not the one enduring them.
    A cat, a dog or indeed any other animal is a sentient living creature, an arrangement of DNA unique and unprecedented in the universe.
    As is a human being but you claim not to care much for them.
    No, I don't believe that. Some people just love to whine, and they'll find any object to whine about. If it wasn't cats it would be something else, you can depend on it.

Yes, some people do love to whine, just as you love to troll. However, people do not want to deal with problems on their own property which are caused by the possessions of others ie. pets.
    Quickly followed by one of my size 13s in your gob if I caught you.
    Oh yes, sure you would. :sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Lol indeed. Some people are such moaning busy bodies, then act shocked that cat owners don't give into their every whim. Maybe if they were a bit more respectful to cats and their owners, people might take their demands more seriously?
    Be realistic. People don't have 'whims' that cat-owners are expected to cater for. They shouldn't need to respect or disrespect the cats and their owners, neither should be any problem to them.

The cats are an unwanted nuisance on other peoples' properties because they are let out to roam, often by people who claim they are 'well-behaved' because whatever they are doing does not affect the owner and is highly likely to be completely unknown to the owner!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol what nonsense. Cats get more mice than birds.
    Which is a rather situation from cats not actually killing birds.
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    The cats are only doing what's natural to them and they don't know right from wrong. I hate to think of people hurting or killing a cat over a bit of poo in a garden.
    Not a bit of poo. A repeated, ongoing problem. A cat thinks nothing of hurting or killing our indigenous wildlife, yet somehow, some cat owners think we should respect their cats even though the country is overrun with them.
    I live in central London and I can tell you how many times in my life I have ever stepped in cat pooh - never
    I'll hazard a guess that you don't traverse London though other people's back gardens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just cannot respect what a cat is - they cannot understand that it is not really a domestic animal, but a wonderful creature that walks by itself.
    If they are not really a domestic animal it makes little sense that our cities and towns are coming down with them. I suspect they outnumber dogs because many people are too lazy and unenthusiastic about walking a dog and cleaning up after it. You can just leave a cat to its own devices as it makes little noise and is extremely unlikely to injure a human when unattended but due to the lack of supervision, they foul property and kill wildlife, mostly covertly. A subtle menace.
    My family has a six month old puppy and he is the biggest handful ever! I cannot tell you how much hard work he is, we have cats as well and they are a breeze next to dogs.
    Which brings me back to the desire to have something without having to do much at all ie. laziness.
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    I have a stupid person on my fb who delights in posting photos of dead shrews that his cat has caught. Putting a bell on the collar is much more responsible than delighting in tiny dead indigenous mammals who arent considered vermin.
    Waht a moron. Get rid of them. They are only there because you allowed it.
    NatoPMT wrote: »
    Putting a bell on the collar is much more responsible than delighting in tiny dead indigenous mammals who arent considered vermin.
    I wonder why all cat owners don't do this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does no one rejoice in the fact that in 4,000 years of cats living with humans - there have been so few changes? When did we get so arrogant that we should demand that cats should adapt to our society and not the other way around?
    .. and when did cat owners get so arrogant that they demand their neighbours should put up with problems caused by the pets they choose to own?
    Yes - they poo in our flowerbeds and catch mice and rodents.
    .. and birds.
    No -cats are not cuddly animals - they have survived thousands of years of discrimination - and still are willing to share our personal space. Inconvenient, messy, predatory and all the rest. But imagine a world without them.
    Let's not overestimate them by stating that they are willing to share our personal space. They don't have that many options and bowls of Whiskas are rare in the wild!
    Also, I'm sure many people would love their immediate environs to be free of cats.
    onefineday wrote: »
    Dogs and cats are our oldest companion animals and civilisation would not exist without them.
    I can't help thinking that we'd have got where we are now without the assistance of the cat. :D
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I had a doctor called out to check my father over (he was barely able to move with excrutiating back pain) which we later found out was sciatica

I waited at the family home so someone was able to answer the door, doctor shows up

Let her in, then an almighty scream and shes gone back outside.. refusing to enter the property until we either put the cats (16, 12 and 1 years old respectively, all well behaved) in a room or shove them out

She was absolutely terrified of cats, I've never seen anything like it

So eager to get away she might as well not bothered turning up, it was the hospital that made a diagnosis in the end, as we sought a second opinion
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I don't mind cats and would never harm one, I just wish their owners would be a bit more considerate to their neighbours by coming round and cleaning up after them.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Quickly followed by one of my size 13s in your gob if I caught you.

Talking of which I'm surprised you haven't yet had the boot from this forum because all you seem to have done since you joined is troll it.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    Which is a rather situation from cats not actually killing birds.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/2126-cats-world-died.html
    QUOTE-
    By killing mice and rats in barns and grain storage areas, cats are vital for keeping those pests in check. In India, Beck said, cats are believed to play a significant role in lessening the amount of grain loss caused by consumption or contamination by rodents. In other words, it may be true that humans feed cats, but without cats, humans would have less food in the first place.

Not a bit of poo. A repeated, ongoing problem. A cat thinks nothing of hurting or killing our indigenous wildlife, yet somehow, some cat owners think we should respect their cats even though the country is overrun with them.

I don't "think you should respect them" I just don't think you should go out of your way to deliberately harm them,
    would you prefer your garden over run with rats and mice and rat and mice 'poo'?
    what about none domesticated wildlife that "thinks nothing" (haha) of "hurting and killing" (I prefer just following natural instincts to "thinking nothing" and "HUNTING" to "hurting or killing")

Birds of prey, foxes, rodents, dogs, ferrets.. on and on, ALL of those will kill wild birds and other small wild animals as well you know?

but you carry on believing that 'animals' (especially cats) "think" and have a sense of morality and or 'right and wrong' in the same way human beings do if you like,

I blame books and cartoons that have talking and clothes wearing animals myself,

I'll hazard a guess that you don't traverse London though other people's back gardens.

I'll hazard a guess that you've never seen a none human animal build houses and roads or a city, explode a nuclear weapon, cause global warming, take a sh*t on a porcelain toilet, or cook a meal.,
    but the question that needs repeating is, do you prefer cat sh*t or rat sh*t?
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The evil little gits crap all over our gardens, and decimate our birdlife.
    Although the RSPB seems to think that the issue is utterly negligible. Link to this effect posted up-thread.
    I used to work on a shooting estate which was adjacent to a town area on one side. I took absolute glee in patrolling with a .22 rifle and shooting as many as I possibly could, as well as setting all the cat traps I could get my hands on. Happy times!
    Yeah. Of course you did. What a giant-cocked hero you are.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of which I'm surprised you haven't yet had the boot from this forum because all you seem to have done since you joined is troll it.
    No, all I have done since I joined is exactly what I'm supposed to be doing here, viz., to give my opinion on any issue that takes my fancy. That you don't like these opinions is a matter of the sublimest indifference. It's not trolling, but well done with trying to pass off people saying things you don't like and don't agree with as trolls, though. I'm sure its been a roaring success for you.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    The cats come over here and don;t respect our British way of life like good English dogs do... and they take all the jobs... It's not cattist to be genuinely concerned about Cat migration.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are not really a domestic animal it makes little sense that our cities and towns are coming down with them. I suspect they outnumber dogs because many people are too lazy and unenthusiastic about walking a dog and cleaning up after it. You can just leave a cat to its own devices as it makes little noise and is extremely unlikely to injure a human when unattended but due to the lack of supervision, they foul property and kill wildlife, mostly covertly. A subtle menace.

Made me giggle a bit, sorry. Cats shit, and they hunt then.

That's not really amazing. But they're QUIET about it - a subtle menace:eek:

They are going to take over the WOOORLLLD, I tell ye.:cool:

They are not inherently 'evil'.

They do not think like human beings.

By the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    The cats come over here and don;t respect our British way of life like good English dogs do... and they take all the jobs... It's not cattist to be genuinely concerned about Cat migration.

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Dog spin and propaganda mainly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    The arguments carry on but they all seem to come down to 2 conclusions - those who dislike cats are not animal loathers - they simply resent the fact that they spend their time and money in deterring neighbouring cats and dealing with their faeces.

Cat owners will argue that this is normal cat behaviour without taking any responsibility for their choices in owning a pet.

I don't doubt that there are some feral cats who cause problems - but those I have seen in my garden often have magnetic collars to ensure their owners are untroubled by other people's cats through their elaborate cat-flaps.

It is equally true that a crocodile might have the consumption of domestic pets as part of it's nature. That fact would not allow me to keep one with no legal or moral regard to my neighbours.

The argument is, as ever, those who feel that people owning pets have a responsibility both for their welfare and for the fact that they have chosen to own one - and that does include their neighbours' ability to enjoy their own gardens.

On the other end are those who have given up planting and sitting in their gardens - or allowing their children to play amongst the toxic faeces. Most of those would agree that kittens are cute - but cat owners need to face reality and get a grip.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which brings me back to the desire to have something without having to do much at all ie. laziness.

So you are suggesting that people who own cats rather than dogs are lazy? What complete and utter drivel! Dogs are bloody hard work and many people take them on without realising to how much of a commitment they are. I now firmly believe that people who work full time shouldn't own one because you can't really give a dog the attention it needs when you are working a 40 hour week, 9 to 5. That dog you hear yapping all day and night is probably owned by some selfish git who got one without doing their research first.

What do you suggest these people do if they want the love and companionship of a pet? A cat looks after itself and is independent but they are also still loyal and loving, they are perfect for people do not have the time to devote to owning a dog. Or do you think that all people who work full time are lazy?:rolleyes:

The reason we had cats in the first place was because after our first dog died my parents wanted another pet, but both worked full time so decided cats were a better choice for them. Since them my mum has changed her working hours and is around every afternoon so is now able to spend time with the puppy.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can live with whatever pets they want but I've went into a few houses where their cats are walking a out tables and work surfaces and it kind of grosses me out. I mean, they're in the litter tray, do their business or come in from outside and jump straight up on food preparation areas. I just don't like the idea that you don't know what they're walking or lying on when you're not there.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Did this thread break?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The arguments carry on but they all seem to come down to 2 conclusions - those who dislike cats are not animal loathers - they simply resent the fact that they spend their time and money in deterring neighbouring cats and dealing with their faeces.

Cat owners will argue that this is normal cat behaviour without taking any responsibility for their choices in owning a pet.

I don't doubt that there are some feral cats who cause problems - but those I have seen in my garden often have magnetic collars to ensure their owners are untroubled by other people's cats through their elaborate cat-flaps.

It is equally true that a crocodile might have the consumption of domestic pets as part of it's nature. That fact would not allow me to keep one with no legal or moral regard to my neighbours.

The argument is, as ever, those who feel that people owning pets have a responsibility both for their welfare and for the fact that they have chosen to own one - and that does include their neighbours' ability to enjoy their own gardens.

On the other end are those who have given up planting and sitting in their gardens - or allowing their children to play amongst the toxic faeces. Most of those would agree that kittens are cute - but cat owners need to face reality and get a grip.

I don't think this is the complete truth.

Some people have an irrational hatred of cats.

Some do not suffer any shitting in their gardens by said beasts but seem to hate and fear them anyway.

They talk about them in weirdly human terms - they 'torture' their prey, they are 'sly' and 'untrustworthy' etc.

I still think that, whilst some suffer from too many of them in a particular area, most don't have that much of an issue with the crapping part.

Although true for some, I think for many it's an excuse - like 'they kill our birds', which even the RSPB doesn't think is important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People can live with whatever pets they want but I've went into a few houses where their cats are walking a out tables and work surfaces and it kind of grosses me out. I mean, they're in the litter tray, do their business or come in from outside and jump straight up on food preparation areas. I just don't like the idea that you don't know what they're walking or lying on when you're not there.

Boosts the immune system:D

And give the surfaces a bit of a wipe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this thread break?

Deleted... mods must be having a clear out.