Virgin Mobile reintroducing speed caps?

Comments

• denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be doing a speed test at one of my local Sainsbury's as I normally get 20mbps there. I think I might start crying if I did ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Download speeds on VM are still 2Mbps and there's a deafening silence from them on the matter. I expect an official announcement any day soon.
  • andycatandycat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I got a 3.5 download yesterday connected to T-Mobile in Lancashire.
  • old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did a comparison a few moments ago. Connected to T-Mobile/3 mast. Using EE i reached around 11 meg. On Virgin the speed test tried to go past 2 meg but just came down and sat at 2 meg. So iam capped.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    old bill2 wrote: »
    Did a comparison a few moments ago. Connected to T-Mobile/3 mast. Using EE i reached around 11 meg. On Virgin the speed test tried to go past 2 meg but just came down and sat at 2 meg. So iam capped.

Was it a T-Mobile or Orange sim card you used for the EE test?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A EE sim card connected to a 3G mast.
    Forum Member
    What APN are you guys that are on Virgin using?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What APN are you guys that are on Virgin using?

general.t-mobile.uk and goto.viginmobile.uk is what is listed in my phone.

I didn't enter the settings, it's just what virgin sent me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    general.t-mobile.uk and goto.viginmobile.uk is what is listed in my phone.

I didn't enter the settings, it's just what virgin sent me.

The same for me. The only difference is I used around 5GB after the cap came in. At the time I was not capped. However since my new allowance I have not been able to reach over 2 meg.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old bill2 wrote: »
    The same for me. The only difference is I used around 5GB after the cap came in. At the time I was not capped. However since my new allowance I have not been able to reach over 2 meg.

Yeah it has been ever since my new allowance that I have had the problem too.
  • andycatandycat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Test Date: Feb 23, 2013 5:06:23 pm
    Connection Type: Hsdpa
    Server: Lancaster
    Download: 5670 kbps
    Upload: 2208 kbps
    Ping: 67 ms

External IP: 149.254.235.137
    Internal IP: 10.192.30.160
    Latitude: 53.74080
    Longitude: -2.72431

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/378175566.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Friday I once managed 5.3 down and 2.3 up, but besides that capped again.

Thought I should give Three a little test ride again. Managed 25(!) down and 3 up, but my hopes were shattered when I then had anything between 56 and 303kbps at home.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/378142561.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I'm now struggling to get more than 2Mbps down and 0.40Mbps up,not a happy bunny here. The fact that so many people in different areas on different devices speaks volumes. The Virgin Mobile Unlimited Big Data and Text is looking a bit rubbish now but not many options out there as I refuse to go back to three and their frankly atrocious customer service.
    Forum Member
    The weekend is never the best time to get reliable tests on the EE network as most of the network optimisation happens at the weekend. Friday 6pm to Monday 6am.

I need to dig out my Virgin sim and give it a test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now they are sending out letters to some (but not all), that tethering won't be allowed at all anymore. Even people who joined pre 2013.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Tethering-not-allowed-for-ANYONE-from-28-3-13/td-p/1729684
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    It would appear Virgin Mobile are determined to decimate their customer base....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And still no official word on why people have got a speed cap of 2mbps, nine days after someone from Virgin acknowledged on their forum, that there seems to be a problem!
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people complaining about 2mbs, its fast enough for all needs on a mobile phone.

If you try to run HD iplayer on your phone, your going to run past your data limit in no time anyway.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people complaining about 2mbs, its fast enough for all needs on a mobile phone.

If you try to run HD iplayer on your phone, your going to run past your data limit in no time anyway.

We are complaining because Virgin offer unlimited plans and they are deliberatley giving their customers a inferior service. I may well go with 3 because of this.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Thats the thing. Virgin never had a data limit or speed limit before.

Then there was a 10GB cap with throtting at peak times over the cap.

Then there was a 3.5GB cap with throttling at peak times once over the cap.

Then they blocked tethering

Then they introduced throttling at all times once you go over the cap

Then they put a speed cap of 2mbps

see what i mean....

You are correct that 2mbps is fine for most things. but on smartphones today it really isn't. I would say t-mobiles cap of 4mbps is fine but thats still pushing it a bit.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Thats the thing. Virgin never had a data limit or speed limit before.

Then there was a 10GB cap with throtting at peak times over the cap.

Then there was a 3.5GB cap with throttling at peak times once over the cap.

Then they blocked tethering

Then they introduced throttling at all times once you go over the cap

Then they put a speed cap of 2mbps

see what i mean....

You are correct that 2mbps is fine for most things. but on smartphones today it really isn't. I would say t-mobiles cap of 4mbps is fine but thats still pushing it a bit.

I agree with all this pretty much. It's the constant changing of goal posts with usually a long wait for official confirmation that has annoyed me. Playing right into 3's hands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Now they are sending out letters to some (but not all), that tethering won't be allowed at all anymore. Even people who joined pre 2013.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Mobile/Tethering-not-allowed-for-ANYONE-from-28-3-13/td-p/1729684

I've not received any letters as yet.

Does anyone know if this is one of those situations that any customer can cancel with no penalty due to change of T&C's??
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does anyone know if this is one of those situations that any customer can cancel with no penalty due to change of T&C's??

Your contract states that they can make reasonable price increases, legally 'reasonable' is generally regarded as no more than the RPI %.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

You obviously didn't read the post you quoted... :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Just got a download speed of 2.36 and upload of 0.56