Wimbledon 2013 Coverage

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    so what's happened to the extra streams that were supposed to be available on sky channels?

the fact is that for the past 10 years there were 5 or 6 courts available by simply pressing the red button and now i've got 1 extra court. awful coverage....some people like to watch tv actually on their tv and not online or any other way...backwards move doesn't even do it justice!!!
    There is some kind of sky/BBC problem all here in the BBC blog. Look for the comments from Alix there.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/A-BBC-Red-Button-summer
    Forum Member
    Good to see the BBC site has all the video non-flash, that was a real pain on the iPad/iPhone last time.
    Can now sit in the garden over the next few weeks and watch.
    Like having the live update under the video, but would prefer the comments to only be the BBC reporters, rather than the twitter nonsense from others.

Just tried using the official app.
    It keeps playing a video trailer every time you open it.
    Then drops you onto a map, not sure what that was, but it didn't work either.
    Horrid interface.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just one extra court via Sky yet Freeview has 2 as well as red button HD. Problem seems to be with Sky not lending capacity to BBC for duration of Wimbledon as they did during the Olmypics. I suppose with Freevew's reach being so big now (this will be on relays as well as main transmitters) it is an advantage for most viewers. BTW I can only see 3 courts on BBC web coverage and none of them features the match being shown via Sky red button i.e. one featuring Fognini.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one red button game on sky
  • Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do BBC2 have to break away for 90 minutes to show a load of old junk (literally)? There's no CBBC requirement now so use that to your advantage - HD coverage on 2 main channels all afternoon.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is supposed to be getting 3 red button streams (but not on the EPG, so not recordable). Maybe they haven't finished adding them to the red button MHEG service yet, but they are certainly being broadcast and are on the Freesat EPG.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan J wrote: »
    Why do BBC2 have to break away for 90 minutes to show a load of old junk (literally)? There's no CBBC requirement now so use that to your advantage - HD coverage on 2 main channels all afternoon.
    Maybe, and it's a long shot here, maybe to offer other viewers some choice apart from tennis and er, tennis. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea what time the red button channels will go live and how many there will be? Nothing showing at the moment, not even a test loop which I would have expected to be there showing the review of last year and the preview of this year plus the player interviews which have been published on Youtube over this last week as well as the WTA Red Carpet event.

Coverage starts on BBC2 at 11:30 btw with BBC starting at 1:45pm ready for the first match on Centre at 2pm as usual

Play starts at 1pm on centre :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe, and it's a long shot here, maybe to offer other viewers some choice apart from tennis and er, tennis

This is the jewel in the BBC's sporting crown and one that they could lose under legislation. They should be giving it as much coverage as possible. If it were something more worthwhile than REPEATS of antique shows I could understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Sky is supposed to be getting 3 red button streams (but not on the EPG, so not recordable). Maybe they haven't finished adding them to the red button MHEG service yet, but they are certainly being broadcast and are on the Freesat EPG.

From one of the links above it seems there's problems between Sky and the BBC which has prevented them reaching agreement for these streams.

Until that's sorted it's looking like we're back to 1999 red button coverage. Which is just awesome :mad:
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are we gonna put the commertators in here.... or can we?
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

whats the transponer info for the streams they could be manualy tunned!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the jewel in the BBC's sporting crown and one that they could lose under legislation. They should be giving it as much coverage as possible. If it were something more worthwhile than REPEATS of antique shows I could understand.

However, it might be hard to believe, some people have little or no interest in Wimbledon (especially in the early rounds).

Yes, a difficult concept, but true all the same.

Surely the BBC has a duty, however limited, to those viewers also (viewers who also pay their Licence Fee and rightfully expect to find some programming of interest rather than wall-to-wall sport across both main channels during the daytime/late afternoon).

Some people will say that sport, however "prestige", is not the be-all and end-all. And they will have a point.

And after all, looking at the proposed coverage over the next fortnight, including Red Button streams, and including the many programme cancellations, the BBC are giving Wimbledon more than a fair crack of the whip.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that link. Shame we have to lose out whilst the BBC & Sky squabble over money. They should have had something sorted out months ago
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only one match on the red button on Sky as opposed to the 7/8 from last year. Poor show all round.

Now I have to listen to Tim Henman drone on and the endless Andy Murray talk.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    *Clare* wrote: »
    Only one match on the red button on Sky as opposed to the 7/8 from last year. Poor show all round.

Now I have to listen to Tim Henman drone on and the endless Andy Murray talk.

Quite sure Sky have NEVER had 7/8 matches on the Red button, certain not 7/8 extra matches anyway, 1/2 of them would be a simulcast of the BBC ONE/TWO matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    However, it might be hard to believe, some people have little or no interest in Wimbledon (especially in the early rounds).

Yes, a difficult concept, but true all the same.

Surely the BBC has a duty, however limited, to those viewers also (viewers who also pay their Licence Fee and rightfully expect to find some programming of interest rather than wall-to-wall sport across both main channels during the daytime/late afternoon).

Some people will say that sport, however "prestige", is not the be-all and end-all. And they will have a point.

And after all, looking at the proposed coverage over the next fortnight, including Red Button streams, and including the many programme cancellations, the BBC are giving Wimbledon more than a fair crack of the whip.

It's the lack of red button streams this year that makes me think they should be devoting the maximum coverage possible on the main channels (not the main prime time on BBC1 btw)

We have to put up with Flog Hunters In The Attic all day for the other 50 weeks of the year, why shouldn't they miss out for 2? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirah wrote: »
    From one of the links above it seems there's problems between Sky and the BBC which has prevented them reaching agreement for these streams.

Until that's sorted it's looking like we're back to 1999 red button coverage. Which is just awesome :mad:

That was the case but the BBC said it had been resolved and, in the case of Freesat, it has been. I imagine the extra SD red button channels will appear on Sky soon if they're not there already.
    lotrjw wrote: »
    whats the transponer info for the streams they could be manualy tunned!

BBC Red Button HD: 11024 H, 23000, 8PSK, 2/3
    BBC Red Button 1: 10773 H, 22000, 5/6
    BBC Red Button 2 & 3: 12643 V, 27500, 2/3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the case but the BBC said it had been resolved and, in the case of Freesat, it has been. I imagine the extra SD red button channels will appear on Sky soon if they're not there already.

thanks.
    I just cant believe that Sky would do this! its so annoying having to watch though 'other channels'! and as for the HD red button well thats not even possible as you cant tune DVB-S2 transponder channels manually on sky!
  • sjoscinevsjoscinev Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I sat myself down in front of the tv at 11.30 safe in the knowledge that I could avoid all the waffle by watching a match of my choosing from the 5 on the red button as in previous years. But what's this? Only one match? Came on here to find out what was going on only to find that this has been known about for some time. So now I'm at my pc on my uncomfortable chair watching a small, sometimes buffering, picture. This is progress? Thanks BBC for nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjoscinev wrote: »
    So I sat myself down in front of the tv at 11.30 safe in the knowledge that I could avoid all the waffle by watching a match of my choosing from the 5 on the red button as in previous years. But what's this? Only one match? Came on here to find out what was going on only to find that this has been known about for some time. So now I'm at my pc on my uncomfortable chair watching a small, sometimes buffering, picture. This is progress? Thanks BBC for nothing.

That's the nature of cutbacks. Just be glad that the BBC relented and re-introduced (at least temporarily) two extra streams (not yet available on Sky; blame Sky for that) and an HD stream, which we have never had before.
    Forum Member

The first is not available on a sky box.
    The others are listed there as
    6390, 6391
    54380, 54381
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite sure Sky have NEVER had 7/8 matches on the Red button, certain not 7/8 extra matches anyway, 1/2 of them would be a simulcast of the BBC ONE/TWO matches.

There was quite a few last year. Maybe I have a bad memory though and there was only about 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the lack of red button streams this year that makes me think they should be devoting the maximum coverage possible on the main channels (not the main prime time on BBC1 btw)

We have to put up with Flog Hunters In The Attic all day for the other 50 weeks of the year, why shouldn't they miss out for 2? :p

Bear in mind that the BBC culled a number of RB streams over the past year (as a global policy decision unrelated to Wimbledon), and that they have now temporarily reinstated a few (plus a HD RB stream).

It's always the case that xxxxx* sport lovers feel that their sports coverage is the most important thing, and that their wishes should transcend all others - however there are people who simply do not share either view. And that's a fact of life.

To think otherwise could be construed as being rather selfish, especially when some sports such as Wimbledon receive unparalleled live coverage over a two week period, and with programmes delayed, shunted or dropped (as necessary). And I can guarantee that no-one is ever going to be happy with whatever coverage is provided.

* Replace with sport of your choice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Clare* wrote: »
    There was quite a few last year. Maybe I have a bad memory though and there was only about 5.

Its bad when the BBC promised that they would give us the exta streams for sporting events, when they reduced the streams earlier this year, I think that was.