Options

How best to train for 5 mile run?

.Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
Forum Member
I've signed up to do a 5 mile run for charity. Problem is I am a terrible runner.

I am physically fit and work out 5 days a week, but I just can't seem to do long distance running. I have no idea why.

I have quite a fast pace. i ran a mile this morning in just under 9 minutes. I barely managed that:o I don't feel comfortable going at a slower pace, it doesn't feel right, but obviously I tire quickly at a fast pace.

I have until mid July.

What worked best for you? How do you recommend I build myself up?

Comments

• Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who runs races from 10K to Marathon distance you are going to have to slow down a bit to get the distance, I know what you mean about it not feeling right, I think most people feel this when trying to build distance. 9 min/miles is quite average for a recreational runner, but if you cut it down to around 10 min/miles for now, you will find the distance will come a lot easier and quicker, once I mastered going slower the miles I covered in one session soon racked up, you need to build your slow twitch muscles. You can always add in speed sessions at 9min/mile or faster over a shorter distance as you go on, and this will help greatly. Go slower and get the distance and then work on speed and you may be able to do the race at a 9 min/mile pace, but you haven't got that long to train really. The best thing to do is mix up the sessions with some tempo runs, fartlek, hills, easy/recovery runs and long runs. Not all training sessions should be the same or you end up with junk miles. I strongly recommend looking at www.runnersworld.co.uk as they have some good training programmes for all ability of runner and distances. If there is one thing with running it is that you do actually progress quite quickly if you put the sessions in. I managed never running to the London Marathon in 16 weeks with 4 weeks off for injury inbetween. Obviously this is not recommended hence the injuries. You should only be adding 10% a week onto the distance to avoid injury. But as horrible as it is you will have to slow down for now.

Good luck, it becomes quite addictive, I am running another race on Sunday my 3rd in 3 weeks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh one other thing to mention. A lot of people when they start out run by extending their front leg beyond their body, this is a false economy when doing distance running as you end up braking and using up too much energy. Tilt your body forward slightly from the hips and land with your foot under you. Work on more steps per min rather than a longer stride. When I found out about this, it was a revelation.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice. I have quite a long stride so doing what you suggested plus slowing down may be a struggle!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    When I trained for a half marathon I started off walking the route every few days and then after a week or so that turned into a jog until I felt comfortable running it at a reasonable pace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have quite a long stride so doing what you suggested plus slowing down may be a struggle!

I had a long stride too, as my mother would say I am all legs, a trainer told me to think about pushing forward with the knee as opposed to the foot and this really helped, especially with turn over. Every runner starts off going far to fast when they start and then struggles to slow it down, but it does become easier. I have four different paces for 5K (7:30), 10K (8:00), Half Marathon (8:45) and Marathon (9:20). It has taken me a year to get used to these and even now I still get it wrong. At my race last weekend which was a 10K I got too excited and set off at my 5k pace and deeply regretted it towards the end, lol. Hell even Paula Radcliffe got it wrong at the weekend. The problem with over striding is PF which can be really painful and a bugger to get rid of. A trick I sometimes use is to listen to music with a slighly slower tempo and getting into a rhythmn with it. I think this is where I went wrong on Monday my Ipod headphones broke at the start line doh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its not a marathon, but this is a good running guide, and would scale quite well to a 5 mile run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_-RDyxaJ1E

Secondly, run at whatever pace seems right for you, 5 miles isn't a great distance so I wouldn't imagine you'd need to manage your energy reserves or anything like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you can barely do a mile at a certain pace then trying to build up to five times that at the same pace is heading for injury. You need to build stamina before speed. Even 10 seconds a mile slower can make a huge difference to how you cope with the distance but in reality will feel not much different in terms of speed. If you look at training schedules the long run which builds stamina and distance is advised to be run slower than your intended race pace. In marathon training schedules this is normally 1-1:30 slower than race pace or you burn out before the race. Obviously 5 miles is no where near a marathon so you don't have to go to such extremes but the principal is the same.