Why do so many people have such a deep and intense hatred for cats ?

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This question arises from the "have you ever killed an animal" thread, where the usual sort of comments against cats, once again arose. This time two people admitting that they got a kick out of torturing or actually killing cats.

It does seem that this hatred towards cats is very deep rooted in some people. Even if they hate the cats, do they have no consideration for the owners who might be deeply affacted by the loss of their pet, or learning of its needless suffering.

Given that you never, or very rarely, hear the same thing said about dogs, despite the fact that they too are a preying animal, I'm just curious.

To me, it's a complete anathema to inflict pain and suffering on any animal. I simply can't understand why anyone would do it for a laugh or their own satisfaction.

Comments

• digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just not a fan of stage shows in general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon 95% of it is testicles to be honest.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can harm any animal but I can sort of understand frustration can make the mildest person do things they wouldn't normally do. It is cats because they are allowed to roam and cause difficulties for neighbours. If they were not in other people's property they wouldn't be so hated IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Interesting question. I've never been in favour of hurting any animal, but before I started living with our cats, I really didn't like most of them. I'm not sure why - partly bad experiences with being scratched and bitten unexpectedly by neighbourhood cats, and partly because I found them annoying for less understandable reasons.

I now live with two Siamese, who are extremely annoying at times, but so full of personality and affection that I have to forgive them.
  • fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an aquaintence who pronounces he is an animal lover, dogs birds fish etc but thinks it's funny if a cat gets killed or abused. His reason, because cats kill birds.

There's a few dog lovers like that too, and I find it pretty hypocritical, and despite what they say there not animal lovers at all. In the case of those alpha dog owners the animal is merely an extension to their ego, offering unquestioned loyaly, whereas a cat would be indifferent. I think there's also the bullying coward issue, cats are small enough to be attacked relatively safely.

I'm a cat lover, but I would never take pleasure from uneccessary cruelty to another animal.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Cats are a pest, rats are a pest, pigeons are a pest, according to we humans, but we can live with them all and get on with them when we have to, if we try hard, I have no idea how ANY human can hurt any animal, or eat an animal, or expect another person to kill an animal for them, but humans are selfish creatures and like to use all animals for their own benefit, no matter what the suffering.
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Cats are a pest, rats are a pest, pigeons are a pest, according to we humans, but we can live with them all and get on with them when we have to, if we try hard, I have no idea how ANY human can hurt any animal, or eat an animal, or expect another person to kill an animal for them, but humans are selfish creatures and like to use all animals for their own benefit, no matter what the suffering.
    'Twas ever thus :(
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When those cat protection people come up to me in the shopping centre, I always say "Why is it, there's so many cats and so few recipes?". They rarely look anything but angry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you a vegan?
    Forum Member
    Are you a vegan?

Yes, are you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, are you?

I am not.
    Forum Member
    I am not.

Oh,ok.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I think most of it is bravado or people on a wind up. I like to think that most people wouldn't actually harm a cat if they had the choice.

I love cats. We've always had one. :D
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Yes, are you?

Lol awkward. You could tell he hoped you'd say no, then he could call you a hypocrite. Fail. ;)
  • SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Lol awkward. You could tell he hoped you'd say no, then he could call you a hypocrite. Fail. ;)
    I was thinking exactly the same thing :D
    Forum Member

LOL I thought he may have been a fellow vegan and we were going to unite in animal love :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose deep down that was what I was hoping for. Didn't think of it till you just said though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL I thought he may have been a fellow vegan and we were going to unite in animal love :D

Giggity.
    Forum Member
    I suppose deep down that was what I was hoping for. Didn't think of it till you just said though.
    Sorry to have disappointed you ;) I have not been vegan from birth though, veggie for 35 years and vegan for the last 15 of those, so you could berate me for eating animals in my formative years :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to have disappointed you ;) I have not been vegan from birth though, veggie for 35 years and vegan for the last 15 of those, so you could berate me for eating animals in my formative years :D

You're a disgrace! :D
    Forum Member
    You're a disgrace! :D

I shall go into the garden and whip myself with willow branches :D
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall go into the garden and whip myself with willow branches :D

No. You whip yourself with a horse tail. I'll just get one for you...
    Forum Member
    No. You whip yourself with a horse tail. I'll just get one for you...

Nooooooooooooo!!!! :eek: unless it is still attached to the horse of course!then he can gently swish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooooooooooo!!!! :eek: unless it is still attached to the horse of course!then he can gently swish.

This is starting to sound like a fetish. ;)