Comments

• sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way too far. I hope she is prosecuted.
  • jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too far in this instance but I can imagine my mother would have probably done exactly the same to me. I was an 80's kid and grew up knowing the difference between right and wrong - the threat of a good clout off my parents put me off doing most bad things. I imagine most kids brought up in the 70's and 80's were the same
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I considered posting the same link but bottled out, I didn't want strange accusations made against me.

I to, think she goes too far. That said I have a few friends who where born and grew up in that part of the World, and they are all much stricter when it comes to parenting than I have ever been. On the most part their children have grown up to be very respectful,well adjusted and lovely people to know.
    Looking at the comments at the end of the article, most people seem to think they would react the same way if it was their daughter.
    I have tio say I did wonder how I would have dealt with the situation if it was my 12 year old, and I don't think I would have belted her, but equally don't know how I would have reacted.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The woman is a terrible mother. Beating a child is a sign of parental failure. Plus she's also not considered all the pervs out there will enjoy this punishment video even more than they would the girl's photos.

How about just not allowing the child to have internet access without adult supervision? Problem solved and no beating required.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jessmum wrote: »
    Too far in this instance but I can imagine my mother would have probably done exactly the same to me. I was an 80's kid and grew up knowing the difference between right and wrong - the threat of a good clout off my parents put me off doing most bad things. I imagine most kids brought up in the 70's and 80's were the same
    No. I grew up in the 70's and not once did I feel the back of either parents' hands nor did any of us kids get threatened with it. They didn't need to threaten us with violence to get us to do as we were told.

With regard to this situation, I would march my daughter round to the lad's house and have a serious talk with the boy and his parents about his attempts to get this girl to have sex with him. They article says he is the same age as the girl. It seems it is an offence in Trinidad & Tobago "Where a male person has sexual intercourse with a female person with her consent and who has attained the age of fourteen years but has not yet attained the age of sixteen, he is guilty of an offence, and is liable on conviction to imprisonment for twelve years, for a first offence and to imprisonment for fifteen years for a subsequent offence" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_South_America
  • sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the mother felt the need to post the video of the beating on the internet. It seems a very strange thing to do.

Plus by talking about the reasons for doing it, she has alerted everyone to the fact that her daughter has been experimenting with her sexual development. That's not something I'd want all the local perverts to know about, if it were my daughter.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I don't understand why the mother felt the need to post the video of the beating on the internet. It seems a very strange thing to do.

Plus by talking about the reasons for doing it, she has alerted everyone to the fact that her daughter has been experimenting with her sexual development. That's not something I'd want all the local perverts to know about, if it were my daughter.

I assume it was meant to publically shame and humiliate her . Using the same medium that her daughter used to pose for the pictures.

Very disturbing viewing, wish I hadn't clicked on the link to be honest.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »

Way, way too far.

She should be prosecuted for assault. After all, if you were to do that to an adult, you would rightly be jailed for assault.

You have a responsibility of care for your children. That is not care, it is pure physical abuse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    I assume it was meant to publically shame and humiliate her . Using the same medium that her daughter used to pose for the pictures.

Same here.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »

To be honest I couldn't bring myself to watch it after that time somebody linked to the clip of that girl being viciously beaten by her father.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrible video, especially at the end the mother seems to lose control.:(

And she doesn't seem to care where she hits her daughter either. Really wrong.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to watch the video, as I don't want to see a child being beaten.
    Does she go too far? Of course, though I can understand her motives. She wants to protect her daughter and prevent her from making some horrible mistakes. There has to be a middle course between allowing her daughter to do whatever she wants ,and actual physical violence though.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    couldn't she just un-friend her instead?
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet she doesn't do it again
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I understand that if you haven't grown up with that kind of punishment it must be difficult to stomach but ( and I am in no way condoning the use of violence on a child!) sometimes when you see British children (basing this on what I see and where I live) and the way they go on towards their parents, even on shows like that one where kids are sent to other countries to live with other parents (I really can't remember the name of it) you see how rude and disobedient the kids are compared to the children of the other parents. Basically in a long arse round about way I am saying that in some circumstances some more discipline should be given to children and they shouldn't be able to say and do what they want without some form of a repercussion.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible. Seemed to me to be more about the mother showing off to the observer, than disciplining her daughter. I know comparisons aren't necessarily helpful, but if that had been a person beating an animal it probably (and rightly) wouldn't be up for debate as to whether it was ok, it would just be accepted that it wasn't, and I would expect them to be arrested for animal cruelty.

I've always disliked physical chastisement.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The outrage over this just makes the people defending the woman who killed her 3 kids look even more deranged
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with children being punished like this.

Watch the video of her sister explaining why the mother did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhPgrZxVi1s
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    That'll learn her.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she won't be posting half naked pictures anymore though! I admire the mother for her standards (Miley Cyrus could do with some of this), but it is extreme and the way she did it, and kept doing it. The video was so horrible to watch, especially as the girl cowered. But this is the way punishment is in a lot of Caribbean families. Rihanna mustn't have had similar natured parents or had morals / decency taught into her. Parenting isn't about beating, but I understand it has been like that for ever in most cultures until modern times. It's a tough one. She deserved punishing, but I wouldn't say this is the way; however the mother said (if any one on here ACTUALLY READ the story) she had tried many ways of discipline and a counsellor: none worked.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I understand that if you haven't grown up with that kind of punishment it must be difficult to stomach but ( and I am in no way condoning the use of violence on a child!) sometimes when you see British children (basing this on what I see and where I live) and the way they go on towards their parents, even on shows like that one where kids are sent to other countries to live with other parents ( really can't remember the name of it) you see how rude and disobedient the kids are compared to the children of the other parents. Basically in a long arse round about way I am saying that in some circumstances some more discipline should be given to children and they shouldn't be able to say and do what they want without some form of a repercussion.

The World's Strictest Parents
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need a question mark? OF COURSE it's too far. Disgusting behaviour by the mother.
  • KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you perpetrate violence against your children as a means of controlling them when they're being difficult, don't be surprised if they too learn to perpetrate violence to solve their problems.

That child might be remorseful, but her thoughts are unlikely to dwell on the wrongfulness of the act itself. Any remorse she feels over the act will probably be ancillary to the regret that stems from the violence and degradation she's experienced. That child hasn't been taught to reason. She hasn't learned why the thing she did was wrong. She's only been taught to fear her violent mother, which increases the likelihood that she will develop feelings of anger, distrust, resentment, hatred and vengeance.

The pro-corporal punishment crowd can only argue their case by comparing corporal punishment with a complete absence of discipline. Instead compare the behaviour of communities where it is normal to discipline children non-violently and the behaviour of communities where children are beaten into submission. Which communities turn out better?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    On the whole, I'd rather that parents controlled their kids internet access rather than give them free-reign and then beat them when they screw up.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too far? Umm YES.

I don't dispute the fact that the daughter has probably given her a hard time as she says - but punish her via other channels. Like stopping her using Facebook for a start. This kind of vicious beating is just inhumane.

She says she's prepared to go to jail in order to send her "wayward daughter on the right path". Hopefully she does.