"America is a big mistake, a giant mistake"

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
-Quote by Sigmund Freud.

The reason I post this is because, for a while now, I've basically heard bad things about America (and it's history, not just recently). So I guess what I'm asking is, why is America so bad? What has it done?

I am non at all educated on American history/culture/politics etc so I want to learn basically (without being blinded by dates/times that a google search would bring).

I barely even know why 9/11 happened in all honesty, only basic outlines

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    -Quote by Sigmund Freud.

The reason I post this is because, for a while now, I've basically heard bad things about America (and it's history, not just recently). So I guess what I'm asking is, why is America so bad? What has it done?

I am non at all educated on American history/culture/politics etc so I want to learn basically (without being blinded by dates/times that a google search would bring).

I barely even know why 9/11 happened in all honesty, only basic outlines

They think they are rulers of the world and that everyone should live like they do and they do not understand people who don't want to be like them, they believe their culture is the best and should be spread around the world.

In a crude example America sells it's movies and music to the world but if British try to sell them out things they get all "homegrown", radio stations have to play a certain percentage of US music, it is damn difficult to get our pop acts heard on US radio.

McDonalds, Microsoft etc everyone should use them because they are American.

They live in a bubble which was burst when 9/11 happened, someone I used to work with told me this he went on holiday to America and was asked by someone if the UK had electricity.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was all aptly described in his book, "Oedipus does Dallas"
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    The United States is not a bad place. No country is a bad place. Like most things in life, a few rotten apples spoil the whole barrel.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They think they are rulers of the world and that everyone should live like they do and they do not understand people who don't want to be like them, they believe their culture is the best and should be spread around the world.

In a crude example America sells it's movies and music to the world but if British try to sell them out things they get all "homegrown", radio stations have to play a certain percentage of US music, it is damn difficult to get our pop acts heard on US radio.

McDonalds, Microsoft etc everyone should use them because they are American.

They live in a bubble which was burst when 9/11 happened, someone I used to work with told me this he went on holiday to America and was asked by someone if the UK had electricity.

I love America and Americans but have been asked/ told some very silly and strange things by them, I can only assume they ( those that asked) think we still live in war time UK. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love America and Americans but have been asked/ told some very silly and strange things by them, I can only assume they ( those that asked) think we still live in war time UK. :D

Are American's only taught US history at school and they are told the Second World War was from 1941 to 1945?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm American and I've been living in the UK for ten years. Believe me, the strange questions go both ways. Someone just last week informed me that in NY they close the Brooklyn Bridge at night to stop black people from entering Manhattan. I was speechless.

And for the record, I'm not aware of any laws restricting foreign content in the U.S.. It's my understanding that Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland all have domestic quota laws though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'm American and I've been living in the UK for ten years. Believe me, the strange questions go both ways. Someone just last week informed me that in NY they close the Brooklyn Bridge at night to stop black people from entering Manhattan. I was speechless.

:D .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are American's only taught US history at school and they are told the Second World War was from 1941 to 1945?
    They think they are rulers of the world and that everyone should live like they do and they do not understand people who don't want to be like them,

Were you not taught about the British Empire in school?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't take history as a subject but I remember the few history lessons we had talked about France, Germany, US, Australia, so not just UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't take history as a subject but I remember the few history lessons we had talked about France, Germany, US, Australia, so not just UK.

Awesome. Was that the class that taught you about American radio stations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome. Was that the class that taught you about American radio stations?

Oh how funny :confused:

I know about pop music and the percentage of songs that have to be played that are American.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh how funny :confused:

I know about pop music and the percentage of songs that have to be played that are American.

What percentage is it? Can you quote the law?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much of the negativity towards America comes as a consequence of its foreign policies. America has been the most militarily aggressive democracy since WW2, and through its CIA has facilitated coups and overthrown democratically elected leaders. Realpolitik can be a dirty business and most if not all governments engage in it but America has done more than most.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    Much of the negativity towards America comes as a consequence of its foreign policies. America has been the most militarily aggressive democracy since WW2, and through its CIA has facilitated coups and overthrown democratically elected leaders. Realpolitik can be a dirty business and most if not all governments engage in it but America has done more than most.

See, now that's a fair comment.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Americans. Yes, they're all fat, ignorant, religious racists with guns.

Apart from the millions and millions who aren't.

Or to put it another way, some of them are dicks and some of them aren't. Which is a quality they share with not only us, but with France, Poland and pretty much any other country you care to mention.

The American state has done some terrible things, but remember there are a hell of a lot of Americans who hate that state, and abhor the terrible things it's done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The American state has done some terrible things, but remember there are a hell of a lot of Americans who hate that state, and abhor the terrible things it's done.
    what do you you think you are doing with your brand of reasoning, we are trying to mine some casual generalisations here
    :kitty:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you you think you are doing with your brand of reasoning, we are trying to mine some casual generalisations here
    :kitty:

Yeah, sorry about that. Haven't had my coffee yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh yeah, the americans know nothing about coffee either...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How dare you, sir. How dare you.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Americas too big. It's country the size of a contenint.

It also rolls out this 'westernized' cutlure that just tramples over native culture. Look what happen to the British film industry in the late-70's.

Brits owe it to themselves to watch lots more old british films. I'm always coming across amazing Brit-flick that most Brits have never seen.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you, sir. How dare you.

Funny thing is, I know more Americans that drink tea, than English.

One freind was mighty disappointed when she got out her best tea service to find I dont drink tea.. she was shocked and sad :D

I did notice a lack of electric kettles there though.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, and that Errol Flynn won the Burma campaign single handed.:D

Judging by todays kids, they know nothing of British history.>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny thing is, I know more Americans that drink tea, than English.

One freind was mighty disappointed when she got out her best tea service to find I dont drink tea.. she was shocked and sad :D

Yeah, I had never seen an electric kettle before moving here. Are your American friends Anglophiles? I reckon the overwhelming majority of Americans still prefer coffee over tea- a cultural quirk going back to the revolution.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

That's likely because the mains voltage is half that of the UK, so to deliver the power needed for a kettle would require twice the current, and that needs twice the cross section of mains wiring, which isn't commonly fitted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I had never seen an electric kettle before moving here. Are your American friends Anglophiles? I reckon the overwhelming majority of Americans still prefer coffee over tea- a cultural quirk going back to the revolution.

I only know my daughter and my brother who still drink tea, and that isnt in the huge amounts people when I was little drunk it. All those are now dead. So yes for me most people I know drink coffee now, but I expect over the whole of the UK we are still a nation that drinks a lot of tea.

The people I met in America that were tea drinkers , were from California, Florida and Chicago. Not many really, but more than I know here.