What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
This is kind of carrying on from the "America is a big mistake" thread where yesterday i initially laughed at an American poster who claimed he never knew electric kettles existed...:confused:...only to be told later by another American poster that indeed that it is a fact and electric kettles were not even available in the States until a few years ago! :o

Now, considering this is the country which stuck a bloke on the Moon 45 years ago, albeit helped by a very well known ex-Nazi (;-)), i couldn't help but wonder what else they have been deprived of which we take for granted?

After all, whilst we were busy rebuilding bombed out buildings after the war, suffering rationing, and building cars like this.....they were playing around with Rockets, making rather large cars with big wings which couldn't fly, and protected from the rest of the wicked world by these guys.

Now i know we have much smaller roads and tiny houses which they will never have, but what else do we know of that Americans have been deprived of which we've taken for granted over many years in this country?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    How few crisp flavoured they have?
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How various violent acts are perfectly acceptable at any age but the hint of a nipple sends them into hysterics.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper bacon, proper chocolate.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How few crisp flavoured they have?

I'd wager more than Britain, but less than Germany. :D

I'd add satire, sarcasm and irony to the list of things Americans are deprived of, but thanks to the net they seem to be getting there. ;-)
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I find most Americans to be perfectly nice people. Very friendly, and hospitable.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    French Fancies, I put a picture of one on my tumblr and my American followers had no idea what they were, poor things.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sport that has an official playing time of 80 minutes but doesn't last 5 hours ?
    The Time Out is an abomination and should be banned.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The way they say "You're welcome" every time you say thank-you for something. Makes me laff it does

"Thank-you"
    "You're welcome"

<snigger>
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lassies are not as uptight as lassies here, they do not take offence easily so they don't, especially when talking about sexual matters.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How various violent acts are perfectly acceptable at any age but the hint of a nipple sends them into hysterics.
    That's true. Very odd views about topless women which apparently is perfectly legal in NYC....yet NY Police arrested a woman who tried it! :confused:
    Forum Member

I'd add satire, sarcasm and irony to the list of things Americans are deprived of, but thanks to the net they seem to be getting there. ;-)

Much fewer than Britain. And no smokey bacon flavoured!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    That's true. Very odd views about topless women which apparently is perfectly legal in NYC....yet NY Police arrested a woman who tried it! :confused:

Was that the one that did it as a demonstration outside a school?
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    This is kind of carrying on from the "America is a big mistake" thread where yesterday i initially laughed at an American poster who claimed he never knew electric kettles existed...:confused:...only to be told later by another American poster that indeed that it is a fact and electric kettles were not even available in the States until a few years ago! :o

Now, considering this is the country which stuck a bloke on the Moon 45 years ago, albeit helped by a very well known ex-Nazi (;-)), i couldn't help but wonder what else they have been deprived of which we take for granted?

After all, whilst we were busy rebuilding bombed out buildings after the war, suffering rationing, and building cars like this.....they were playing around with Rockets, making rather large cars with big wings which couldn't fly, and protected from the rest of the wicked world by these guys.

Now i know we have much smaller roads and tiny houses which they will never have, but what else do we know of that Americans have been deprived of which we've taken for granted over many years in this country?

Our railway network system in terms of network density and train frequency.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much fewer than Britain. And no smokey bacon flavoured!!

:o:o The International Red Cross needs to get involved. This is shocking.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You've never seen the Summer Solstice parade in Seattle, have you?
    Forum Member
    :o:o The International Red Cross needs to get involved. This is shocking.

At the very least! Poor, deprived people...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the one that did it as a demonstration outside a school?
    This was just one case. Many more though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are very poor at self deprecating humour and often simply don't 'get it', but one exception was a brilliant cartoon series made in the early 70's called "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home."

That 'does it' brilliantly but unfortunately has rarely been aired. Get the dvd set and you will soon see what i mean!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are very poor at self deprecating humour and often simply don't 'get it', but one exception was a brilliant cartoon series made in the early 70's called "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home."

That 'does it' brilliantly but unfortunately has rarely been aired. Get the dvd set and you will soon see what i mean!

Haha, I couldn't remb it, but for some reason I can sing the theme song. So I went to youtube, and it's all coming back to me now. :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what else do we know of that Americans have been deprived of which we've taken for granted over many years in this country?

Moral rights (in terms of copyright).
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I've never understood this notion that some people have that Americans don't do self-deprecating humour and satire. They are excellent at it! Just look at Saturday Night Live - just one example in many. That's been around since, what, the late 70s? The USA has produced some of the best TV shows ever, many of them bitingly satirical. It's no more true to say the Yanks can't laugh at themselves than it is to say we Brits are all stiff-upper-lip types.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "Great weather eh?" and I thought - "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather". Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time" he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said "Hey, great weather."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, I couldn't remb it, but for some reason I can sing the theme song. So I went to youtube, and it's all coming back to me now. :D
    Unfortunately YouTube only shows clips of episodes. The DVD set is well worth buying though (ebay).
    Next door neighbour Ralph is the real 'star' as leader of his Vigilante Force! :D

Totally nuts......but it's Americans making fun of America and its peculiarities and fruit loop nut jobs!

A rarity. :cool:
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a quote about how America was, 'the first society to go from barbarism to decadence without an intervening period of civilisation', which some here may not have heard of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "Great weather eh?" and I thought - "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather". Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate.

Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time" he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them and I said "Hey, great weather."

:D:D:D