Sound on Sky+

hallchallc Posts: 200,477
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I`ve just got SKY+ installed yesterday , still trying get to grips with it but I have noticed a reduction in the sound volume, mostly on sky movies .
I went into services and turned up the sound setting but the sound is not as loud as before .
Any ideas please ?

Comments

• davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallc wrote:
    I`ve just got SKY+ installed yesterday , still trying get to grips with it but I have noticed a reduction in the sound volume, mostly on sky movies .
    I went into services and turned up the sound setting but the sound is not as loud as before .
    Any ideas please ?

Do you mean a sound reduction in respect to a previous box or what?

If you are refering to sound volumes between movies (with dolby digital) and other channels without - this is a "feature" of Dolby unfortunately
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The volume in general it seems I have to have the volume up as far as possible .
    It is a Thompson SKY BOX and a Sony bravia tv..
  • lloydbaylisslloydbayliss Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallc wrote:
    The volume in general it seems I have to have the volume up as far as possible .
    It is a Thompson SKY BOX and a Sony bravia tv..
    I noticed this when I had my V1 box replaced with a Thomson V3. We need to have the volume noticably higher on the TV these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    hi i,ve also just upgraded to sky plus from standard sky and have also noticed quite a difference in volume just on sky movies,all of the other channels are normal in comparison to terrestial tv so when you are watching a movie and then change to a non movie channel you are almost deafened.i also have had a thomson sky+ box fitted
  • rfwrfw Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See my post at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=484509
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    hi rfw cheers for the link,it does make sense i suppose but that doesn't make it any easier to watch.it may be better if i could watch the film in 5.1 surround but my panasonic surround system hasn't got an optical connection on it and as far as i'm aware thats the only way of transfering
    dolby 5.1 sound.i would appreciate it if someone could confirm that for me

cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's correct, only an optical link can carry 5.1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Even if you do get an optical cable, as far as I know to get 5.1 sound you have to have a Sky HD box, as Sky don't allow Sky+ users to hear the sound.

Ian
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you do get an optical cable, as far as I know to get 5.1 sound you have to have a Sky HD box, as Sky don't allow Sky+ users to hear the sound.

Ian

That's not correct, fortunately :) Ordinary Sky+ boxes output Dolby Digital 5.1 perfectly well. 'War of the Worlds' was really spectacular!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    rfw wrote:
    That's correct, only an optical link can carry 5.1.

thats not true

hdmi can carry 5.1 although sky dont support it at this moment in time

www.hdmi.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats not true

hdmi can carry 5.1 although sky dont support it at this moment in time

www.hdmi.com

Granted, though we were originally discussing Sky+ where this doesn't come into it..

So, just to clarify:

Phono outputs can't carry 5.1.

Optical outputs can carry 5.1 when available, and this works on Sky+. (It does not work on the odd Sky box with digital outputs - I don't think any are available now - nor on Freeview because it isn't being transmitted).

HDMI leads carry HiDef video plus 5.1 audio, though the previous poster tells us that so far Sky+HD does not implement this (which seems unhelpful to say the least).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    rfw wrote:
    That's not correct, fortunately :) Ordinary Sky+ boxes output Dolby Digital 5.1 perfectly well. 'War of the Worlds' was really spectacular!

My appologies for being wrong, but when I look at the program desriptions for things like Premiership football, the only channel that broadbasts Dolby Digital (DD) is Sky Sports HD.
    Any ideas which programs I can get Dolby Digital on with my standard Sky+ box?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Sky movies 1-10 all show films in DD5.1.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmoule1 wrote:
    Sky movies 1-10 all show films in DD5.1.

Are there any other channels which show things in DD5.1. I've just got sky+ today and am wondering whether I should be getting an optical cable to plug into my dvd system.

I don't have any of the movie channels, just sport and the normal channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    rfw wrote:

Thats not always true unfortunately ! I have sky+, an optical going to my Denon 1802 amp and on Sky Movies I suffer from the 'Norman Collier' effect where sound keeps dropping out every second or so.

Doesn't affect Disney Cine - its a known issue with Sky changing the way they broadcast DD.

Of course, the refuse to do much about it and tell people to buy a different amp !