Friends - The Complete Season 1-10 to debut on Blu-ray in November

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is due out soon, anyone tempted.

I have not been that impressed with the HD of friends on the comedy central channel so not sure if the quality of the blu ray set is gonna be simular or a lot better.

Anyone seen any reviews yet by people who have seen the discs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it pre-ordered. I was a big fan of Friends and watched the DVDs repeatedly, but I haven't watched the show in quite a few years now. I was meaning to watch it again in full and this Blu-ray release represented a good opportunity.

What little I've seen of Friends in HD on Comedy Central looked impressive to me, especially the earlier seasons. I remember the earlier seasons being particularly dark and muddy.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not been that impressed with the HD of friends on the comedy central channel so not sure if the quality of the blu ray set is gonna be simular or a lot better.

The later seasons didn't look much different to me but I was certainly impressed with the early episodes in HD. They looked brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What concerns me is there are only 21 discs in total, so thats like 12 episodes per disc, will the PQ be hit by this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What concerns me is there are only 21 discs in total, so thats like 12 episodes per disc, will the PQ be hit by this.

Each episode is only about 20 minutes, at full HD this is still only a fraction of what the disc can hold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each episode is only about 20 minutes, at full HD this is still only a fraction of what the disc can hold.

If that was the case why are some series released on 5 disc sets for just 10 episode series. The more they cram on the worse the quality gets, there is a tipping point, and 12 episodes is too many. Even 24 episode shows 20 mins per episode have a maximum of 8 episodes per disc which I guess is the maximum without affecting quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Various reasons, including looking more value for money.

You are obviously determined to decide you don't like the HD transfer, as you do not like it on HD TV either.

But 8 is not a maximum for affecting quality. They have upscaled them all to HD, they are not going to then compress them and undo their work to fit more on. The file size for each episode and how much space on the disc is all that will determine it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Various reasons, including looking more value for money.

You are obviously determined to decide you don't like the HD transfer, as you do not like it on HD TV either.

But 8 is not a maximum for affecting quality. They have upscaled them all to HD, they are not going to then compress them and undo their work to fit more on. The file size for each episode and how much space on the disc is all that will determine it.

I have not been that impressed with what I have seen on comedy central channel, of course a big upgrade from DVD but still very average for blu ray. Not that sharp, too soft for my liking which effectivly reduced the HD effect but guess I am fussy when its comes to HD quality.

There is a reason why most recent shows only have 8 eps max on a blu ray 12 on one disc is pretty much unheard of and has set the alarm bells for me. My fear is this is just gonna be like a DVD dump onto blu ray with minimal value for money hence why I asked if anyone had seen any official reviews on the BD quality.

I may just wait and see people views on this after the set has been released before buying.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i personally think the comedy central HD pic is a million times better than the DVD quality, I wont be upgrading my boxset, but wil aquire them somehow...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my friend got this and I had a chance tonight to have a look, prety dire if you ask me, certainly not worth 120 quid
    Looks like they have upped the brightness, oversaturated the colours and dumped in on blu ray. PQ is very soft, blurry and grainy. I would not pay 40 quid let along 120

My friend is sending it back on Monday, they paid 90 quid for it and think its not worth it. Even the packaging is poor, outerbox is ok but discs are in cheap and nasty oversize blu ray boxes, with no proper artwork on the discs and the episode guide is just the same as the DVD boxset and the episodes are the basic short versions. This is not the way to treat such an iconic show on its first blu ray release, guess next year they will repackage it, add in the extended episodes and try to fleece fans of the show again.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please delete did not read above post
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got them now, and love it, much better than dvd quality IMO, and the sound quality through my system is amazing!!!!

wish we got uncut episodes though
  • biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Well my friend got this and I had a chance tonight to have a look, prety dire if you ask me, certainly not worth 120 quid
    Looks like they have upped the brightness, oversaturated the colours and dumped in on blu ray. PQ is very soft, blurry and grainy. I would not pay 40 quid let along 120

My friend is sending it back on Monday, they paid 90 quid for it and think its not worth it. Even the packaging is poor, outerbox is ok but discs are in cheap and nasty oversize blu ray boxes, with no proper artwork on the discs and the episode guide is just the same as the DVD boxset and the episodes are the basic short versions. This is not the way to treat such an iconic show on its first blu ray release, guess next year they will repackage it, add in the extended episodes and try to fleece fans of the show again.

Ita a 90s sitcom its never gonna have blockbuster bluray type quality. This is as good as friends will ever look on bluray im really impressed by the quality take it for what it is dont judge it against the best of the best blurays out there because its obviously not gonna compare
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it would have been filmed above standard def around that time.