Options

World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXXIX (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    Very sad about Piper. Another gone too soon.
  • Options
    Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently he passed away from a heart attack in his sleep
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Very sad news. RIP
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, he was always "the man" - his strut down the ramp at WrestleMania I was one of the few occasions I looked at a wrestler and thought he was genuinely "cool".

A couple of personal stories: I'm not particularly one for trying to gain the attention of famous people on Twitter, but on the day I started university (and absolutely ****ting myself), I had tweeted a reply to something he had posted. A few hours later, I finally left home and got all dropped off at my halls, and just as I connected to the university internet up popped Hot Rod with a reply and a retweet which, I must admit, calmed by nerves quite some!

Then a year or so ago, he had tweeted about catching up with another wrestler from the golden age of the WWF for "a coke", to which I had oh-so-wittily retorted that "It sounds just like the eighties again". When my phone suddenly buzzed three times with lengthy responses from Roddy himself, I assumed he had taken some offence and was "putting me in my place", but no... He had gone on my profile, saw that I had described myself as "trying to be a writer" or something of that sort, and taken it upon himself to provide tips on overcoming writers block and how he gains inspiration - I always found that a really kind gesture from someone like him to some random guy...

So yeah, he was somewhat "eccentric", but he always came across as a genuinely good man who doted on his kids. There's not many of those in pro wrestling, especially of that era. This one might have shocked me more than any wrestling-related death since Benoit.
  • Options
    Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remember Hot Rod against Mr T?
  • Options
    Sinister2010Sinister2010 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Just heard the sad news about Rowdy Roddy Piper he was without question one of the best bad guys on screen and one of the most colourful characters his match with Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 8 is certainly one that I will always remember. RIP Hot Rod gone but certainly not forgotten:(.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Hot Rod against Mr T?

Their "boxing" match at WrestleMania II? I heard it was supposed to be a fight with "real" punches and so on, except Mr. T was supposed to win, especially after he had been bragging about how tough he was backstage. They taped Piper's hands up for good measure to make sure Mr. T had a serious advantage.

But even whilst giving Mr. T a serious chance, and with the taped-up fists, Piper pummelled the hell out of him. The only reason Piper ended up throwing the chair at Mr. T was because DQ was the only way Mr. T could actually win.

It might be apocryphal but I definitely heard it, and I hope it's true as it's one of my favourite wrestling stories.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Their "boxing" match at WrestleMania II? I heard it was supposed to be a fight with "real" punches and so on, except Mr. T was supposed to win, especially after he had been bragging about how tough he was backstage. They taped Piper's hands up for good measure to make sure Mr. T had a serious advantage.

But even whilst giving Mr. T a serious chance, and with the taped-up fists, Piper pummelled the hell out of him. The only reason Piper ended up throwing the chair at Mr. T was because DQ was the only way Mr. T could actually win.

It might be apocryphal but I definitely heard it, and I hope it's true as it's one of my favourite wrestling stories.

It was a worked boxing match. Piper was fuming- and chucked the chair at him- because Mr T hadn't trained for it so the punches looked rubbish and T gassed really quickly. Piper wouldn't lose clean to anyone at the time, he didn't lose clean to Hogan in the mid 80's and he certainly wasn't going to lose clean to Mr sodding T.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He didn't even look like a guy who was ever on steroids, but the amount of pro wrestlers dying from heart problems way before their time is into the freakish numbers.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    He didn't even look like a guy who was ever on steroids, but the amount of pro wrestlers dying from heart problems way before their time is into the freakish numbers.

He was 61, it was young to a degree, but given he was in 80's WWF for years it's not that young. The schedule was insane, 8 shows a week (2 on Sunday) all over North America. There were several occasions where people wrestled on the east coast, got on a plane and then wrestled in California the same day. Drugs, prescription or otherwise were par for the course, they couldn't do the schedule without them.

Piper said in court he took steroids, from the July 1st 1991 Wrestling Observer-
    Piper, who said he first came in contact with Zahorian in 1980 or 1981 in Hershey, PA, said he purchased deca, anavar, winstrol V and stanazol from Zahorian. The prosecution had evidence of Piper calling Zahorian from Universal City in Los Angeles on March 23, 1990 and making an order from Zahorian. Piper testified he began purchasing steroids from Zahorian before 1988 and also purchased Halcion and vitamins from the doctor. He also received medical attention and drugs to combat stomach problems from Zahorian. When asked if Zahorian ever pushed drugs on Piper, like testosterone, Piper replied, "Yes." Piper looked very sad leaving the court room and on his way out, patted Zahorian on the back as one would do to console a friend who is in trouble.
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP piper

who can ever forget his bagpipes playing at summerslam 1992

another legend gone way too soon
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Really sad news to hear this. He was one of my favourites.

This year has been a rather shitty year for my favourite wrestlers passing away.

This seems fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6XR9XShcM
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a firecracker.

:(:)
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP piper :(
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Its a shame we never got Piper vs McMahon out of how long the history was.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just heard about Piper. Such sad news.

RIP Piper :-(
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

Cardiac arrest not heart attack.

Heart attack is blocked arteries, cardiac arrest is the electronic function going into abnormal rhythm.

Sorry not trying to be a idiot just both heart conditions are very close to me for all the wrong reasons.

Went on tmz randomly last night and couldnt believe the story had been posted 10 minutes prior, hotrod was an amazing character good and bad, his matches with flair were gold. His fueds with hogan, lawler, flair, goldust and jericho were fantastic and i'll never forget his "kicking ass and chewing bubblegum" quotes or how bobby heenan called his kilt a "skirt" on every match.

The wrestlemania 7 or summerslam 91 commentary proved he could do it out of e ring too. And to end pipers pit will go down as the best wrestling interviewer segments in history.

Another childhood hero now gone but hotrod will never be forgotten in this fans memory. R.I.P.
  • Options
    ZnationZnation Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Cardiac arrest not heart attack.

Heart attack is blocked arteries, cardiac arrest is the electronic function going into abnormal rhythm..

No one likes a smart ass you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's nice to see that in an industry with so much backstabbing, backstage politics and general nastiness towards your peers, the wrestling world comes together when it loses a legend like Piper, Dusty etc.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Znation wrote: »
    No one likes a smart ass you know.
    Hence to see the rest of my post:blush:

Guess its read what you want day today.
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Very sad news to wake up to. More sad over this than the Dusty death, only as I grow up watching Piper more.

Also hope Vince feels bad in firing Piper over a silly podcast last month. Great way in treating a legend
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such sad news about Roddy Piper.I was lucky to see him live at a house show in Glasgow when he & Ric Flair were tag team champs.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well... this sucks
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Its a popular misconception that pro-wrestlers only use steroids to bulk up. Steroids help to quickly heal or hide any number of injuries as well that allow them to keep working and making money.
    stu64 wrote: »
    Also hope Vince feels bad in firing Piper over a silly podcast last month. Great way in treating a legend
    Pretty sure both Piper and Austin had rubbished these reports.
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Well... this sucks

Its a popular misconception that pro-wrestlers only use steroids to bulk up. Steroids help to quickly heal or hide any number of injuries as well that allow them to keep working and making money.

Pretty sure both Piper and Austin had rubbished these reports.

Had he not been fired? Read loads of reports saying he had been released from his legends contract over it all. Just made no sense to me at the time do go to those lengths over something so silly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well he'd been released. I'm not sure why Vince needs to feel bad about firing him. If he released him and punched him in the heart probably so but I doubt his heart giving up had anything to do with being released.
This discussion has been closed.