The BBC has announced that it axing children's programming from BBC One and BBC Two

Comments

• mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    so what? people just watch it on CBB
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I smell BS, what programmes have dipped that low? Does it justify moving ALL childrens programmes to an obscure digital channel? Flagship shows like Blue Peter and Newsround should stay on BBC1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I smell BS, what programmes have dipped that low? Does it justify moving ALL childrens programmes to an obscure digital channel? Flagship shows like Blue Peter and Newsround should stay on BBC1.

How is it an obsecure channel? Its had the same name and EPG number since the dawn of time and during holidays and after 5pm (or whatever) kids probably watch that channel regardless.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have a problem with this just as long as they dont fill up the void on bbc1 with more antiques/another house in the country/how much is your house worth? shite
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Kids can work their way around an EPG these days, no biggie. But it'll be surprising to those who grew up on CBBC in the 80s and 90s.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Well this tactic worked for 6Music:rolleyes:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are CBBC and cbeebies really that obscure?

The are the subject of many trailers across BBC one, individual CBBC/cbeebies programmes are trailed as such on BBC one, the channels are advertised quite openly as being part of the main Freeview and Freesat package of channels (with channel logos on outer boxes and other PoS material), they receive full listings in the Radio Times, the channel numbers have never changed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good move for my money. I bet very few children watch kids programming on BBC1 and 2 these days anyway, preferring dedicated channels that they can tune into when they like, and without looking at the schedules. This will hopefully free up space for more Red Button sport to be promoted to main channels.
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I will be glad about if children's programmes are moved off BBC 1 is that we won't see all those stupid promos of CBBC every weekday before "Pointless"
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Why is DS reporting this as 'Blue Peter axed from BBC1'?

Isn't it all CBBC shows? Or have I read it wrong?
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I will be glad about if children's programmes are moved off BBC 1 is that we won't see all those stupid promos of CBBC every weekday before "Pointless"

You might still get them just for the dedicated Kids channels.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Are CBBC and cbeebies really that obscure?
    Nope, not at all.

It takes three buttons to enter the code for BBC1 and three buttons to enter in CBBC.

If you chose to list "All Channels" then BBC1 is the first listed, if you choose to list "Kids TV" then CBBC is the first listed (well it is on Virgin).

I really don't get why people insist on calling the first four channels Mainstream these days, when vast numbers of people have access to both. Post switch off everyone will have both so what makes BBC1 more Mainstream than CBBC?

The older generation may have difficulty finding later channels on an EPG but, not to be cruel, they are literally a dying breed. And kids have absolutely no difficulty in whizzing through the EPG.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Nope, not at all.

It takes three buttons to enter the code for BBC1 and three buttons to enter in CBBC.

If you chose to list "All Channels" then BBC1 is the first listed, if you choose to list "Kids TV" then CBBC is the first listed (well it is on Virgin).

I really don't get why people insist on calling the first four channels Mainstream these days, when vast numbers of people have access to both. Post switch off everyone will have both so what makes BBC1 more Mainstream than CBBC?

The older generation may have difficulty finding later channels on an EPG but, not to be cruel, they are literally a dying breed. And kids have absolutely no difficulty in whizzing through the EPG.

The freeview EPG will changes later this year so the kids channel will be LCN110-LCN119.

http://www.dmol.co.uk/DMOL%20LCN%20Consultation%2029%20March%202012.pdf

see pages 11.
  • The Truth.The Truth. Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    starman700 wrote: »
    I dont have a problem with this just as long as they dont fill up the void on bbc1 with more antiques/another house in the country/how much is your house worth? shite

Nor 'Only Fools and Horses'. Give it a rest.
  • VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An inevitability, given the generally moronic approach to broadcasting taken by present BBC management- yes, it's money for channels rather than programmes and rounds and rounds of repeats, while there'll also now have to be more programmes to fill the space vacated on the main channels; an absolute waste of resources.

Why does CBBC, the Twaggers' Channel, exist at all?
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    The freeview EPG will changes later this year so the kids channel will be LCN110-LCN119.

http://www.dmol.co.uk/DMOL%20LCN%20Consultation%2029%20March%202012.pdf

see pages 11.
    That still won't stop my eight year old finding the children's channels in seconds (bloody Disney Channel...although I do enjoy Phineas and Ferb, and The Avengers, and My Babysitter's a Vampire, and some of the films are good.... :D).

And I should still think that after selecting "Kids TV" the BBC will still nab the top spot.

Besides having a quick look at that page I have to say that I agree with the reasoning. If I don't use the "Kids TV" shortcut it is wrong that I have to scroll past such titles as "Red Hot Amateurs" or "XXX Housewives" (or whatever...I'm just guessing here :p) in order to reach CBBC and Nick Junior.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    it says on the bbc the number of viewers sometimes drops to 1000. Hope cbbc gets a few more that that!

That isn't strictly true, it says...
    In recent months, the number of young people watching children's programmes on the BBC's main terrestrial channels has occasionally dropped as low as 1,000.

Figures on digital have steadily increased since its introduction of CBBC and CBeebies in 2002.

So the number watching Children's programmes on BBC1 and BBC2 is declining whilst more are viewing the dedicated channels after the Digital Switchover in their region.

From that perspective it makes perfect sense to drop the programmes from the two main channels once the Digital Switchover is complete because then everyone will have access to those channels..
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Why does CBBC, the Twaggers' Channel, exist at all?

At a guess, to give Kids their own channel?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    Why is DS reporting this as 'Blue Peter axed from BBC1'?

Isn't it all CBBC shows? Or have I read it wrong?

Yes it is but Blue Peter is (or at least was) a flagship show so the fact that it is being moved is what is seen as important
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What channel something is on only seems to bother adults. Kids have grown up in a multichannel world so they really don't see any difference in status between BBC1 and CBBC. My young nieces know channel numbers for some children's stations that I didn't even know existed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Newsround? It's so dumbed down these days! It's all “Hi guys!” and slang/colloquialisms (eg ‘footy’ instead of ‘football’). Can you imagine John Craven talking like that? IMHO they're talking down to their viewers. Good riddance from BBC1!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The editors don't even seem to understand the change
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18083178?postId=112541402#comment_112541402
    Editor's pick????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Who cares? It has a much more loyal following on the CBBC channel, and what's the point in wasting up time on the schedule if no-one is watching it?! I welcome the move - it shows the BBC is moving with the times.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    At a guess, to give Kids their own channel?

Yes, certainly, so that children's programmes such as Blue Peter can be shown on them. Horses for courses, you would not expect to watch Antiques Roadshow on CBBC so why would viewers who have now got digital decoders expect children's programmes on BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4.

It is time that some people actually looked at TV from a digital perspective rather than the old analogue one which from the end of October will be dead and buried for good.

This may be very difficult for some adults to comprehend but I bet most 4-year-olds + and maybe even younger, would be able to easily navigate to their own dedicated TV channels with little difficulty
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the logic in moving kids shows to the CBBC Channel and CBeebies makes sense, there are some issues.

1. Newsround has a great share for it's 5pm bulletin on BBC1. More than any on CBBC or BBC2, yet is being demoted to CBBC.

2. What will motivate independent companies and writers to write new material for CBBC if their commissions will only be aired on the CBBC Channel? I can't see the next Horrible Histories or Tracy Beaker will be as commercially viable if down the EPG or tv listings mag.

3. BP has been seriously dragged down since CBBC's refocusing to the 6-12 age group and the current output justifies it's move to CBBC only, yet should it even continue when kids are so more savvy these days?