Options

Ukraine sinking into disaster. Will they come over here?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26268620

Independence square is in flames. Protestors are getting shot and killed. Eastern European leaders are saying a civil war has already begun in Ukraine.

The Ukrainian government has said that protesters have seized more than guns and 100,000 rounds of ammunition from military bases, depots and government buildings.

If this spirals further out of control, will tons of Ukrainian refugees make their way to the UK by the truckload?

Hmmmm...just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Independence square is in flames. Protestors are getting shot and killed. Eastern European leaders are saying a civil war has already begun in Ukraine.

The Ukrainian government has said that protesters have seized more than guns and 100,000 rounds of ammunition from military bases, depots and government buildings.

If this spirals further out of control, will tons of Ukrainian refugees make their way to the UK by the truckload?

Hmmmm...just a thought.

Is that like the truckloads of Romanians who UKIP told us were going to flood the country on January 1st, and who failed to arrive?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't if I were them.

Too many nasty beggars wishing them ill...nearly as bad as being at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Is that like the truckloads of Romanians who UKIP told us were going to flood the country on January 1st, and who failed to arrive?

That's different. There's no war in Romania and no risk to life. The well renowned Ukrainian mafia is probably already making plans to ship people over for a "fee".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's different. There's no war in Romania and no risk to life. The well renowned Ukrainian mafia is probably already making plans to ship people over for a "fee".

You got some insider knowledge about these assertions then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    You got some insider knowledge about these assertions then?

Yes, from UKIP headquarters; the Generate Fear of Foreigners Department.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess, Russia invades, South, East and maybe even Central Ukraine and annexes it or creates a associated "Russian Ukraine" state, Western Ukraine becomes a Independent EU state...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    My guess, Russia invades, South, East and maybe even Central Ukraine and annexes it or creates a associated "Russian Ukraine" state, Western Ukraine becomes a Independent EU state...

Welcome, fellow Ukrainian EU citizens. Welcome to free movement of people and labour.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm...just a thought.

The UK is the most popular choice of destination of people emigrating from their own countries.

But we can't take any more because the country is sinking under the waters.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, its that easy to join the EU, is it? What about this famous Spanish veto we keep hearing about, or does that only apply to Scotland?
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The UK is the most popular choice of destination of people emigrating from their own countries.

Not according to this

http://www.immigroup.com/news/top-10-immigration-friendly-countries
  • Options
    burnesideburneside Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »

We are only a few weeks into the year, I'd like to see what the figures look like in 12 months.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Oh, its that easy to join the EU, is it?

The EU it seems is quite keen for Ukraine to join. In fact it seems the problems in Ukraine stem from one group who want to and ano who want closer ties with Russia roughly spit by west and east.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burneside wrote: »
    We are only a few weeks into the year, I'd like to see what the figures look like in 12 months.

I think you will be disappointed. :D
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »

That's the top 10 immigration friendly countries not the actual top 10.
  • Options
    joe2-snjjoe2-snj Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This might sound far fetched but I think Ukraine is heading this very way. Not sure about a Russian invasion but they will pull strings from behind the scenes for sure.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The EU it seems is quite keen for Ukraine to join. In fact it seems the problems in Ukraine stem from one group who want to and ano who want closer ties with Russia roughly spit by west and east.
    I keep hearing about this west/east split in Ukraine. I'm intrigued to know who are these Russian speaking east Ukrainians? Are they actual Ukrainians who prefer to speak Russian over their own language or are they ethnic Russians who don't really see themselves as Ukrainian?
    This might actually be the best solution for everyone concerned in Ukraine. Maybe west and east Ukraine are politically too different to be part of the same country.
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joe2-snj wrote: »
    This might sound far fetched but I think Ukraine is heading this very way. Not sure about a Russian invasion but they will pull strings from behind the scenes for sure.

Actually it doesn't seem far fetched at all. Wouldn't be surprised if Russia comes in full force and Nato follows them.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does every story get spun into something about immigration on here?
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I hope this gets resolved soon for the people of Ukraine's sake. After the way their president has handled all this i think he should step down immediately but fear he will not.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Strangely enough my first thoughts were for the health and well-being of the people of Ukraine rather than entertaining nonsensical and bizarre thoughts about a rush of Ukrainian immigrants. I am so glad that my mind works in this way.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome, fellow Ukrainian EU citizens. Welcome to free movement of people and labour.

My thoughts exactly, do we need another bankrupt state joining the E.U. and thousands of Ukrainians fleeing their own country.?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Isn’t this another example of the EU trying to undermine democratically elected governments and national sovereignty.

The protestors may not like the Government – but President Yanukovych won the 2010 presidential elections fair and square. Another election is due in February 2015.

People may not be a fan of the Coalition – but imagine if the EU started inciting discontent and supporting protestors who sought to bring down our elected government and force early elections.

The inherent problem of course with the Ukraine is that it is two countries – a pro western west and a pro Russian east. Whoever wins the election nearly half the country will be unhappy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    I keep hearing about this west/east split in Ukraine. I'm intrigued to know who are these Russian speaking east Ukrainians? Are they actual Ukrainians who prefer to speak Russian over their own language or are they ethnic Russians who don't really see themselves as Ukrainian?

This might actually be the best solution for everyone concerned in Ukraine. Maybe west and east Ukraine are politically too different to be part of the same country.
    They self identify as ethnic Russian.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russians_in_Ukraine

The government has an electoral mandate the protesters do not. But, the problem is the nation is split President Viktor Yanukovych was elected by a small margin 48.95% of the vote vs Yulia Tymoshenko 45.47%. His party also won the parliamentary elections by a small margin 30% vs 25.5%.

If the elected government falls and pro EU supporters take over and manage to get support from the Ukraine military I cannot see Russia sitting on the side lines if large numbers of ethnic Russians do not recognize the legality of an unelected government.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »

Although only 17% of the population has Russian ethnicity, in the 2001 census 30% declared Russian as their native language, while Ukrainian is the native language of 68% (even though ethnic Ukrainians make up 78% of the population).
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Isn’t this another example of the EU trying to undermine democratically elected governments and national sovereignty.

The protestors may not like the Government – but President Yanukovych won the 2010 presidential elections fair and square. Another election is due in February 2015.

People may not be a fan of the Coalition – but imagine if the EU started inciting discontent and supporting protestors who sought to bring down our elected government and force early elections.

The inherent problem of course with the Ukraine is that it is two countries – a pro western west and a pro Russian east. Whoever wins the election nearly half the country will be unhappy!

I would like to know the number of far Right protestors who are on the streets, and the influence they are having on others - and, indeed, what their particular goals are.

The media doesn't seem to be reporting this aspect of it now, whereas a few weeks back it was quite big, disquieting news.