David Cameron: He turned it all around

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surely David Cameron must now be heralded as one of the greatest british PM's of the modern era. In the face of such overwhelming odds, he has pulled off the greatest electoral upset of a generation.

The mandate is clear, it is a vindication of his economic and social policies.

Comments

• MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    His personal victory is remarkable. He hasnt just won over the electorate he has won over the party too
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely David Cameron must now be heralded as one of the greatest british PM's of the modern era. In the face of such overwhelming odds, he has pulled off the greatest electoral upset of a generation.

The mandate is clear, it is a vindication of his economic and social policies.

Yes, whatever people think about him, it is incredible to see what he achieved. Absolutely staggering.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even John Major had a bigger majority and that was without Labour being wiped out in Scotland!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    His personal victory is remarkable. He hasnt just won over the electorate he has won over the party too

Absolutely breathtaking. 24 hours ago who would have thought it.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    His share of the vote doesn't seem to have gone up much looking at Sky's site.
  • mr trebusmr trebus Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    And in 5 years time after serving a second term he will be the devil incarnate to all..

The life cycle of any Long serving PM of all parties.
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    The scots helped him on his way
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from providing a Big Bad, the Scots had little to do with it - what won it for Dave was the collapse in the Lib Dem vote.
  • Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were planning to help Ed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Apart from providing a Big Bad, the Scots had little to do with it - what won it for Dave was the collapse in the Lib Dem vote.
    ...and Ed Miliband's failure to convince the electorate with his "better plan".
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron played a blinder getting SNP in the UK wide debates. Where are those folks who were calling him frit? Out manoeuvred Miliband.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I think it has more to do with the collapse of Lib Dem, the splitting of the Scottish vote via SNP, and the collapse of Labour. To some extent they're a winner by circumstance.

However credit does have to go to Cameron for managing to win this thing outright. No matter what else has been going on with other parties, his party got the votes at the end of the day and to pull off such a recovery from the depths of 2011/12, where the collapse of his government seemed possible and the nation was rioting on the streets, is remarkable. Fair play to him.
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I thought they were planning to help Ed?

well they massively overplayed their hands they have loads of seats and no power, I do believe people were genuinely uneasy about a lab/SNP coalition and I think Cameron played on that
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well they massively overplayed their hands they have loads of seats and no power, I do believe people were genuinely uneasy about a lab/SNP coalition and I think Cameron played on that

A lot of those people who were worried about that and altered their vote now have a lot more to be worried about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

His party engineered the most negative campaign in British election history, managed to answer even less questions than the others and he chickened out of a leader's debate. This was a victory based upon fear.
  • JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His achievement is incredible and well deserved, a safe pair of hands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've listened to interviews with Osbourne and May this morning and seen the footage of Cameron returning to London. It's nice to see they are not in the celebratory party mood that typified the Labour vicries in the 90's.

Three people I'm happy to see continue in their roles.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    His party engineered the most negative campaign in British election history, managed to answer even less questions than the others and he chickened out of a leader's debate. This was a victory based upon fear.
    It was the complete opposite. The Tories presented a vision for the future, Labour presented a list of things they didnt like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the complete opposite. The Tories presented a vision for the future, Labour presented a list of things they didnt like.

Wow, did you catch any of the campaign? If you did then perhaps you could enlighten me as to the details of the cuts the Tories will make? The whole Tory campaign was based around a fear of the SNP and a refusal to answer any questions about their own policies - it worked as they managed to get a majority with 36% of the vote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    His achievement is incredible and well deserved, a safe pair of hands.
    Have to agree, Cameron and Osborne have managed to hold a steady hand on the tiller of the country, despite some very difficult challenges.

They might not be my sort of people, but I respect they way they're doing their job. Carry on as you were Cameron D and Osborne G.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree, Cameron and Osborne have managed to hold a steady hand on the tiller of the country, despite some very difficult challenges.

They might not be my sort of people, but I respect they way they're doing their job. Carry on as you were Cameron D and Osborne G.

Problem is, they will not, not without the Lib Dems to keep some sort of leverage on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    Problem is, they will not, not without the Lib Dems to keep some sort of leverage on them.

Yes instead of the LibDems keeping their actions more moderate the opposite pressure will come from the swivel eyed loons on the right of their party.

Peter Bone looked very dangerous before now it is very frightening for a lot of poor people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    I think their much derided election campaign they are quiet and measured - that works better than spin and soundbites. The electorate have decisively shown whose campaign was the most effective.

The Libdems now almost cease to exist now as a credible political force. After five years in an effective coalition the LibDems couldn't resist gloating and trying to rock the boat. Much of their support has now gone over to the Tories because of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scots helped Labour get on their way. :D