Options

Mr Robot (US Pace)

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone heard of this ?. I suspect it *might* be considered "Cult" due to the subject matter, but it certainly doesn't look like it on the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U94litUpZuc

Rather glowing review here as well ..
Starring Rami Malek, the series follows the journey of Elliot, a computer programmer working at a cyber security firm by day and playing the role of vigilante hacker by night. Throughout his life, Elliot’s found it difficult to interact with the living world around him due to an anti-social disorder, but everything changes the night he encounters the biggest hack of his life. However, as he soon learns, the hack was merely the beginnings of a much grander plan being perpetrated by a mysterious man known only by his alias, Mr. Robot.

To say Mr. Robot’s one of the best shows on television based solely on the viewing of its pilot would be hyperbolic, but if that’s the restriction we must work under at the moment, then it’s fair to say Mr. Robot has one of the best kick-offs to any series in a while. The episode moves at a brisk pace that never confuses. At no point does the show feel overly preachy or pretentious. And, most importantly, never are any of the lead characters unlikable. Some of them do walk the line of decent morality, but they aren’t hatable. Based on the pilot, Mr. Robot has nothing but positives going for it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/05/27/mr-robot-usa-review/

USA Network have apparently made the pilot available now to stream on their website, so I suppose it's watchable without any guilt .. *cough* :)

Looks interesting though so I might have to check it out.

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the trailer, wow i love the look of this. Does look bloody excellent. Hope a UK channel picks it up.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first episode was great.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They retitled this. It was something with an 'S' before.

It had me intrigued. It seems we're supposed to side with the guys who are going to destroy the world effectively. For me, I was in at that point. It's different and will straddle the morality divide, hopefully being unforgivable.
  • Options
    davewooddavewood Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Best first episode I've seen since Dexter. Love(?) the main character.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow!. What a great episode. Brilliantly paced and very intruiging.

Hopefully it'll stand a chance being on the USA Network as well, otherwise i could probably see it being a bit too technical and dark for the normal big network viewer.

Great stuff. Looking forward to the series proper now.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Very promising.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Wow!. What a great episode. Brilliantly paced and very intruiging.

Hopefully it'll stand a chance being on the USA Network as well, otherwise i could probably see it being a bit too technical and dark for the normal big network viewer..

The presence of Christian Slater in a supporting - and a good one at that - should help things. As we've all seen, good quality shows can prosper, with enough money and belief, which Mr Robot seems to have so far.

Keep a look out for the series proper at the end of June!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would of thought Christian Slater would be a bad omen for the show. His last four shows were all flops.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of thought Christian Slater would be a bad omen for the show. His last four shows were all flops.

Yeah and it doesn't help (from my perspective) that he's pretty much playing the same character from Mind Games and Breaking In - though that could just be because he's playing Christian Slater. In fact the only thing I've liked him in recently was Archer.

On the other hand I love Rami Malek and I'd probably stick with the show just for the piss take out of Enron and their crooked E :D
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    OP, thanks for the tip. The pilot definitely engrossing.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. As someone else said its the best pilot I've seen. Love the main character, love the boy meets giro type narration. Love it all. Roll on episode 2
  • Options
    DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night along with The Man in the High Castle. Both intriguing in their own ways and look forward to more of the same from both shows.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I got a bit confused at the end, as to where Christian Slater and co disappeared to, but overall I enjoyed the pilot and will watch the next few
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's assuming Christian Slater and Co exist
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    That's assuming Christian Slater and Co exist

true may watch it again later as I only had one eye on it so to speak, it didn't get my full attention
  • Options
    TracyTracy Posts: 6,229
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night loved it, loved that speech he does about sociality now in his head surprised for some reason they were allowed to use reals names of people and companies.

Can't wait for the next one.
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I've just watched it, he's brilliant isn't he, it really sucked me in. This could be my new favourite show!
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally seen the pilot. Thought it was good. Got a great overall build and insight into the main character. It's going to be hard to distinguish what is real and what is an 'agitated hallucination'.

But can someone explain the ending? I didn't get what the revelation was. I was expecting Slater's character to be the boss and he was paying the main guy to destroy his company.
  • Options
    dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok watched the pilot based on the feedback here, got to say loved it.

Next question, when is second episode !! Cant find a date anywhere
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazzy71 wrote: »
    Ok watched the pilot based on the feedback here, got to say loved it.

Next question, when is second episode !! Cant find a date anywhere

I'd guess at the 2nd of July.

Ep One's official air date is Thursday 25th june
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicely made pilot with intriguing storyline. The series starts soon so let's see if it holds up into the episodes.

Just a couple of annoyances, the childhood friend who he secretly love cliché, and the people in black suits driving black cars overdone cliché.

If the Christian Slater group are really underground hackers then the people he was taken to at the end may well be a standalone FBI cyber department who want to recruit him now as well, so he may start working between both groups.

I await the series starting.

Oh and anyone wondering about the title, it refers to a person, there are no robots in the show (that I know of) !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Nicely made pilot with intriguing storyline. The series starts soon so let's see if it holds up into the episodes.

Just a couple of annoyances, the childhood friend who he secretly love cliché, and the people in black suits driving black cars overdone cliché.

If the Christian Slater group are really underground hackers then the people he was taken to at the end may well be a standalone FBI cyber department who want to recruit him now as well, so he may start working between both groups.

I await the series starting.

Oh and anyone wondering about the title, it refers to a person, there are no robots in the show (that I know of) !

More likely due to the Mr Robot jacket worn by Christian Slater

Or my guess from the first episode its referring to the main character and his lack of emotions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as for the cliché's of first love and black suit baddies they would only be clichés if they actually exist. If they are just part of his "world" then it would be understandable
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    as for the cliché's of first love and black suit baddies they would only be clichés if they actually exist. If they are just part of his "world" then it would be understandable

It doesn't matter to me if they are in his head or not, they were on the screen as part of the show, and they are cliché's that are in far too many shows.

I did see the "Mr Robot" on Slaters overalls, I was telling anybody casually reading the thread that this is not a show about robots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to me if they are in his head or not, they were on the screen as part of the show, and they are cliché's that are in far too many shows.

I did see the "Mr Robot" on Slaters overalls, I was telling anybody casually reading the thread that this is not a show about robots.

But if they was part of his world would that not be understandable and logical?

You are creating baddies for you to fight and due to all the baddies being dressed in black etc on tv and in books etc that they would be in black? Same with the childhood sweetheart, Our first love is often the one people thing of most when it comes to creating our hearts desires more so if nothing happened them.

When people create their own world in which they are "better" then they are clichés would naturally be part of it, Part of the reason they are clinches