Castration tomorrow :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
Forum Member
Hi all,

My dog is booked in tomorrow for his castration, we thought long and hard about having this done as he is a highly strung dog and a little viscous with other dogs. Im hoping that this will calm him down a little as lots of people said this would help.

BTW hes a little jack russel cross, and i love him to bits!!!!

My question is......can anyone tell me what sort of aftercare he will need and anyidea of recovery times.

Thank You.x

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    We had our lab done and didn't really need to do very much. He was a bit zonked out for a few hours after we brought him home, and we had to stop him chewing on the stitches every now and then. Other than that he seemed fine the next day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Hi my little Jack got done earlier this month and I was much like yourself wondering and of course worrying but there is nothing to worry about this is how ours went

9.30 arrived at vets, they then told me to ring at 2.30-3pm and all being well and they are not feeling to worse for ware for the anesthetic he would be fine to collect, I rang them at 2.30pm and they told me he was ready to collect when I arrived I was expecting him to he feeling sorry for himself but he was jumping around, we where given a lampshade and told to keep a check of his wound over the next few days, light tea (I gave chicken and rice)
    Try to keep him as calm and settled as poss as you dont want the stiches to dislodge.
    Ten days layer he had his stiches out and all is good.

If your little chap has an upset stomach and the wound gets a bit dirty then I would use an item called Hibbi scrub all good pet centers will sell it.

Hope all this helps:)
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one of ours done last week, as kingkobra said, he was doped up for a few hours afterwards but was fine by the next day. They said he should be kept on a close watch for 2 weeks (as in, only letting him out to go to the toilet), but to be honest it's been only a week now and he's fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    thanks guys, ive taken a few days off work to be with him and im not back until monday, so hopefully he will be ok by then.

Thanks guys
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    embod wrote: »
    thanks guys, ive taken a few days off work to be with him and im not back until monday, so hopefully he will be ok by then.

Thanks guys

Ahh you sound like me, I even slept down stairs with my fella the first night, the things we do for our dogs hey !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eeek i really cringed and felt bad for you when i saw your post on the forum menu...untill i read it was under "pets" lol.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I had my dalmatian done in january He came out really hyper and it really did not change much if had know how little it would of change i would not of done it. I did it calm him down but really it didnt work and the only thing that did was just telling him off making him know he had done somthing wrong getting advice of other people. after the op would advice you keep checking the stiches just in case also my dalmatian just kept charging in walls as fast as he could three days later he had shatterd the thing stoping him biting his stiches after the vets telling me it was unbreakable.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once saw an old lady in the vets with a great dane. She told me that every time she bent over he'd mount her from behind.

"I suppose you've come to get him castrated then." I asked.

"Nah," she replied nonchalantly, "I've just come to get his nails trimmed."