JSA Question: Working Up To 15 Hours A Week, Does That Come Off Your Benefit?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,544
Forum Member
I just spoke to someone at my local job centre, asked him if I was to get a job working up to 15 hours a week, that would it affect my JSA and he said they would take whatever I earnt off the JSA payments apart from the first £5. Is that correct?

I was of the understanding that people could work up to 15 hours a week without it affecting their benefits! :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does if the amount you earn is more than your benefit.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,544
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    It does if the amount you earn is more than your benefit.

He didn't say that, he told me whatever I earnt would be taken off the benefit apart from the first £5. If I was to work 12 hours a week on minimum wage and thats almost £6 an hour then that would be about £72 a week, the benefit is £67 a week which gets paid to me about every 2 and a half weeks all in all in 2 combined payments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    He didn't say that, he told me whatever I earnt would be taken off the benefit apart from the first £5. If I was to work 12 hours a week on minimum wage and thats almost £6 an hour then that would be about £72 a week, the benefit is £67 a week which gets paid to me about every 2 and a half weeks all in all in 2 combined payments.

Yes they give you £5
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    Yes they give you £5

What about housing benefit, would they expect me to pay for that on 12 hours a week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about housing benefit, would they expect me to pay for that on 12 hours a week?

Depends on how much you were earning, If it's more than what you would get on JSA I think you may have to contribute, probably not much though.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rules/names change so much that it's best to go on a website that specifically deals with stuff like this.

I would have thought a person on a very low income would get help with rent/council tax but the government are not exactly keen on handouts for luxuries like a roof over your head.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The rules/names change so much that it's best to go on a website that specifically deals with stuff like this.

I would have thought a person on a very low income would get help with rent/council tax but the government are not exactly keen on handouts for luxuries like a roof over your head.

A roof over our heads is a luxury huh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    If you work more than 16 hours and are single you can't claim jsa. Housing benefit is paid in full if your're claiming jsa even if you only get 50p.
    Forum Member
    loujac05 wrote: »
    If you work more than 16 hours and are single you can't claim jsa. Housing benefit is paid in full if your're claiming jsa even if you only get 50p.

Thanks for that last point. I really think the Government should change the rules. I would definetely apply for part time jobs if I was to get enough tax credit or other benefit to pay my rent/council tax but otherwise its impossible. No way would I earn enough off minimum wage jobs to pay rent/ c tax, food and things like gas/electricity.

I think if they changed the rules and allowed part time workers to get tax credits and then over time these jobs went full time, it could only benefit the economy. Though having said that, i can envisage some choosing to stay on part time and not have any disposable income.
  • Janey JonesJaney Jones Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any earnings above £5.00 per week are deducted from your JSA. if your weekly wage is more than £5.00 over your JSA then you won't receive any benefit although you can continue to claim National Insurance contributions. If your hours reach 16 a week you are classed as being in full time work for JSA purposes and have to sign off.

You can earn up to £90.00 per week before your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit is affected although you'd have to claim it direct from the Housing Department as it won't be paid by the DWP.

Best bet is to book an In Works Benefit calculation at the Jobcentre, then you'll know exactly how you stand :)

If you're working less than 16 hours a week, try to keep your weekly hours the same otherwise your benefits will be all over the place :eek:

Hope that helps :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loujac05 wrote: »

10p actually ;)
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can work part-time and get housing benefit. Depending on your age and/or hours worked, you could also be entitled to working tax credit.

Granted, the minimum wage in this country is too low, but no one is financially better off not working than working. When people say they would be worse off, what that translates to is "I will be better off, but not enough for me to be arsed getting out of bed."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbh though working part time puts something on your c.v instead of having a gap, which makes it easier to get full time jobs.

I wasn't keen on working part time but I think I will have to as I don't want a gap in my c.v. (That's if I can get P/T work lol)
    Forum Member
    Any earnings above £5.00 per week are deducted from your JSA. if your weekly wage is more than £5.00 over your JSA then you won't receive any benefit although you can continue to claim National Insurance contributions. If your hours reach 16 a week you are classed as being in full time work for JSA purposes and have to sign off.

You can earn up to £90.00 per week before your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit is affected although you'd have to claim it direct from the Housing Department as it won't be paid by the DWP.

Best bet is to book an In Works Benefit calculation at the Jobcentre, then you'll know exactly how you stand :)

If you're working less than 16 hours a week, try to keep your weekly hours the same otherwise your benefits will be all over the place :eek:

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the info.

Whats your take on if I go into self employment but I don't earn enough to pay normal bills and quit it as a result? Would i qualify for a reclaim or would they say no, thats voluntary unemployment? If it is the latter, that is unfair if someone's not earning enough to live on isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info.

Whats your take on if I go into self employment but I don't earn enough to pay normal bills and quit it as a result? Would i qualify for a reclaim or would they say no, thats voluntary unemployment? If it is the latter, that is unfair if someone's not earning enough to live on isn't it?

No problem :)

Good news is that the Leaving Voluntarily rules don't apply to self-employment so you'd be able to put in a new claim the day after you stop trading.

There's an additional claim form you have to fill in when you re-claim and the Jobcentre may need to see your business accounts and bank statements, aside from that it should be straightforward ;)
    Forum Member
    No problem :)

Good news is that the Leaving Voluntarily rules don't apply to self-employment so you'd be able to put in a new claim the day after you stop trading.There's an additional claim form you have to fill in when you re-claim and the Jobcentre may need to see your business accounts and bank statements, aside from that it should be straightforward ;)

RE BIB, Is that a definite? No one has ever told me that before. I may just go for it then if it is true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RE BIB, Is that a definite? No one has ever told me that before. I may just go for it then if it is true.

Don't worry, it's kosher! :D

If you're planning to work for more than 16 hours a week (i.e. signing off JSA) ask the JC about the Adviser Discretionary Fund. You may get money or vouchers for work clothing, tools, equipment etc. but you have to apply for it before you start work.

If you've been claiming JSA for more than 6 months you might also get a 4-week run-on for Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit and also £100 for just getting a job! :D Again, you'll need to check with the JC to make sure you qualify :)

Got to take the dog out before she savages me :eek: but I'll check back later in case there's anything else you'd like to know :)
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, it's kosher! :D

If you're planning to work for more than 16 hours a week (i.e. signing off JSA) ask the JC about the Adviser Discretionary Fund. You may get money or vouchers for work clothing, tools, equipment etc. but you have to apply for it before you start work.

If you've been claiming JSA for more than 6 months you might also get a 4-week run-on for Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit and also £100 for just getting a job! :D Again, you'll need to check with the JC to make sure you qualify :)

Got to take the dog out before she savages me :eek: but I'll check back later in case there's anything else you'd like to know :)

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it. Just gonna have to ponder on what to do. Economy is so bad, self employment could be a bad move, but then again, if I put the hours in, I may survive on it.