Options

viop services

just been contacted by vonage about phone calls to uk land lines for £5.99 a month unlimited. but on research their are many services for free. are these services same quality as being offered by vonage and which is is the best provider. also whats required. many thank mark.

Comments

• Options
    TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    Depends what you want from the service, with Vonage you have to pay a connection charge and a disconnection charge, you also have to pay that rate each and every month.

VoIP comes with standard with Caller ID, Call Waiting, 3-Way Calling, ACR and others, whether you pay a monthly fee or not.

With most other providers you can Bring Your Own Equiptment, so you may but a Linksys PAP2 ATA for example from eBay for around £14 and then choose the service you want.

www.Sipgate.co.uk , no monthly fee, you just pay per minute for the call.
    www.OrbTalk.co.uk
    www.voiptalk.org/reallyvoip
    www.voip.co.uk - Have a £20 for the year service - evening and weekend calls free (each up to 60 mins, per min afterwards) and daytime calls at 2p for the first 60 mins, per min afterwards.

www.voipdiscount.com €10 (Ten Euro + 19% VAT) for 120 days of free calls at 300 mins per week to UK and several other countries, the €10 isn't lost like vonage, you can use it on non-free calls and after the 120 free days are up, if you want another 120 free days simply top up another €10.

They don't issue an incoming number any more, however PM me for details on getting a number for free to work with the service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    this equipment you suggest what does it do, how does it work? and do i also need sound card headphones or can i use a normal phone. so viopdiscount.com seem to be the best?
  • Options
    sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devices like the PAP2 connect directly to a router, and don't require your PC to be used.

You appear to be getting VoIP the wrong way around .. its voip not viop :)

voipdiscount are prehaps cheapest - does not mean they are the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is the router a modem (sorry a bit green at this stuff). so i plug my phone into the pap2. and an afternoon in the pub appears to be playing havoc with my english....hic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a modem allows one computer (device) to be connected to the internet, a router allows more than one computer (device) to be connected to the internet.

so, you need a router really.

what do you have at the moment?
  • Options
    Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.draytel.org 's another good one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    virgin 4mb bb 1pc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marky boy wrote: »
    virgin 4mb bb 1pc

You would need to purchase a cable router.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok many thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sean2003 wrote: »
    You would need to purchase a cable router.
    whats the best router with ethernet port, not to dear tho mind.