ESPN Classic - The Decline and Fall...

Comments

• jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    They were showing Netherlands vs Brazil from the 1974 World Cup this evening with new commentary from the great Barry Davies.:) Good to hear him commentating.

Well, I presume it's new commentary as it doesn't sound like it was coming from the end of a phone.

At least Barry was commentating in those days (I think) so it sounds more plausible.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    jo2015 wrote: »
    They were showing Netherlands vs Brazil from the 1974 World Cup this evening with new commentary from the great Barry Davies.:) Good to hear him commentating.

Well, I presume it's new commentary as it doesn't sound like it was coming from the end of a phone.

At least Barry was commentating in those days (I think) so it sounds more plausible.:)

According to 'Up the Maggies' site, David Coleman commentated on it for BBC, while Hugh Johns was on the mic for ITV
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look like any 'new' classic World Cup games will be shown now.

Looking at the schedules, it looks like they just showing repeats of games they have already shown.

Can't imagine they will carry on after the World Cup and put stuff on they haven't shown yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member

it is indeed overdubbed commentary. espn classic showed that one a few months back.

and if you see poland v argentina 1974 in their schedules, that'll be the same -- 50 mins of highlights rather than the full game, and commentary done by jim proudfoot rather than whoever was at it on the day.
  • ArchieArchivistArchieArchivist Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Classic Archive has started on the BBC Red Button tonight. England Classics featured a series of England games over the years (mainly painful penalty defeats :D;)) including England v. West Germany 1966, England v. West Germany 1990, England v. Argentina 1998, and the matches against Argentina and Brazil from 2002. I didn't catch the others, so if somebody could fill in any games from 1970, 1982, 1986 and 1990 that would be appreciated.

By the way, the "teletext" schedule on the Red Button says that they are showing "World Cup Archive" from 06:00 on Wednesday morning until 12:30 that lunchtime. I'd be amazed if that's the only time slot for this, but that's the only time they gave...

Archie.
  • TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off-topic but on a nostalgic theme, just watched 'The World at Their Feet' on stv player which was an stv documentary on the Scotland team filmed just before Argentina '78. Interesting documentary including brief footage of that summer's Scotland v England game at Hampden. The Scots really did think they were going to win the World Cup! :p
    Forum Member
    Some great stuff on the BBC Red Button last night and tonight. They've been showing many of the classic match highlights that they've been posting online in recent weeks. Included last night and tonight were highlights of:

England v. West Germany 1966
    Brazil v. England 1970
    West Germany v. England 1970
    Italy v. West Germany 1970
    Holland v. Brazil 1974
    Scotland v. Holland 1978
    Italy v. Brazil 1982
    West Germany v. France 1982
    Belgium v. USSR 1986
    France v. Brazil 1986
    Argentina v. England 1986
    West Germany v. Holland 1990
    England v. Cameroon 1990
    West Germany v. England 1990
    Romania v. Argentina 1994
    Brazil v. Holland 1994
    Bulgaria v. Germany 1994
    Argentina v. England 1998
    Holland v. Argentina 1998
    England v. Argentina 2002
    South Korea v. Italy 2002
    Brazil v. England 2002
    Argentina v. Mexico 2006
    Italy v. Germany 2006

All had original commentary. ESPN - take note.

Archie.
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Some great stuff on the BBC Red Button last night and tonight. They've been showing many of the classic match highlights that they've been posting online in recent weeks. Included last night and tonight were highlights of:

Brazil v. England 1970
    Holland v. Brazil 1974
    Scotland v. Holland 1978
    Italy v. Brazil 1982
    Belgium v. USSR 1986
    France v. Brazil 1986
    England v. Cameroon 1990
    Brazil v. Holland 1994
    Bulgaria v. Germany 1994
    Brazil v. England 2002
    Argentina v. Mexico 2006
    Italy v. Germany 2006

Archie.

It lasts for about 2hr 20mins. On before that last night too was Classic England games.

Off the top of my head they showed:

Brazil v. England 1970
    England v Argentina 1986
    Argentina v England 2002

There could of been more, but i didn't catch it all.
  • RichuptonRichupton Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great to watch these ten minute bites of classic games, with the orginal commentaries (confirming that that far from classic Holland v Brazil match up was commentated upon by David Coleman). Favourite World Cup from my time - has to be 1982, with so many classic games, the best two I missed due to being on holiday in France and not having a TV that worked out there!).
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brazil v. England 1970
    Holland v. Brazil 1974
    Scotland v. Holland 1978
    Italy v. Brazil 1982
    Belgium v. USSR 1986
    France v. Brazil 1986
    England v. Cameroon 1990
    Brazil v. Holland 1994
    Bulgaria v. Germany 1994
    Brazil v. England 2002
    Argentina v. Mexico 2006
    Italy v. Germany 2006

Archie.

Thanks for this, I have just set up to record that stream. :D

I loved seeing my favourite World Cup 1994 featured! :D:D

I would have loved to have seen Romania v Bulgaria though, as those two had two of my favourite players of the time, Hagi and Stoichkov! :D
    Forum Member
    Tonight on the Red Button is a short stream of three opening matches in the Classic Matches series: Argentina v. Cameroon 1990, Senegal v. France 2002, and Germany v. Costa Rica 2006 are the selected games.

Hopefully the Classic Matches series continues during the tournament. It would seem as if they are showing all the games that they put up on the Web site, so that hopefully means we'll see classic finals (because they have been conspicuous by their absence so far) and other games including Spain v. Northern Ireland and Brazil v. Scotland from 1982, North Korea v. Portugal from 1966 and Yugoslavia v. Zaire from 1974.

Kudos to the BBC for their imaginative selections so far.

Archie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    I was watching some of these tonight (although no England matches were shown when I was watching)

Is there a listing for what games they will be showing each day?
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately not. It sort of means you've got to check it whenever you get a chance for fear of missing some fantastic stream.

I think we should use this thread to update everybody when something new appears. ;) I'd open a new thread, but that's probably overkill given that this thread is essentially about archive football anyway.

Archie.
    Forum Member
    Does the stream run continuously, or only at certain times of the day?

Will the stream end when Wimbledon begins on June 21st?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the opening matches from 1990, 1998, 2002 and 2006, (I don't know why the one from 1994 wasn't shown??).
  • The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    They had the opening matches from 1990, 1998, 2002 and 2006, (I don't know why the one from 1994 wasn't shown??).

I was only 3 at the time but a look at the score suggests it wasn't a classic.
    Forum Member
    Why were there no England matches shown in last night's stream?

All of the matches in the list that ArchieArchivist posted above were shown with the exception of the England matches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that it was time to bump this topic. Just took a looking at the listings a couple of days ago, and it was all football, football, football from the very recent past, together with hour highlights of I presume dubbed Federer v Nadal from 2008 (don't bother, buy the DVD of this epic).

Where is the pre Channel 4 cricket that I was SO looking forward to when I finally had access to this channel?? As well as tennis, motor racing, match of the day etc, etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bump :)
    Forum Member
    Credit where credit's due to ESPN. The matches on the "Liverpool - Team of the 80's" shows last week all had the original ITV commentary,

Are they likely to be repeated, because I missed some of the earlier shows which had matches from the 70's?
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Richupton wrote: »
    I thought that it was time to bump this topic. Just took a looking at the listings a couple of days ago, and it was all football, football, football from the very recent past, together with hour highlights of I presume dubbed Federer v Nadal from 2008 (don't bother, buy the DVD of this epic).

Where is the pre Channel 4 cricket that I was SO looking forward to when I finally had access to this channel?? As well as tennis, motor racing, match of the day etc, etc

They usually show archive cricket between the two teams in the current ongoing series. A couple of years ago it was England vs South Africa from '98 whilst the latter were touring England.

So they should be showing England vs Pakistan.

That '92 series was good. Especially the close Lords test and the bowling throughout the series of Waqar and Wasim. Don't think they've ever shown it - though they did show highlights of one day's play from a match in '87.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Arsenal v Man Utd from 25.08.1973 and Arsenal v Liverpool from February 1975 this afternoon and the commentary was from Brian Moore and the graphics were the ITV Sport logo of the time. Quite nostalgic :)
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    Are they likely to be repeated, because I missed some of the earlier shows which had matches from the 70's?

They've already been shown once before, so I don't doubt they'll give them another couple of outings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    They usually show archive cricket between the two teams in the current ongoing series. A couple of years ago it was England vs South Africa from '98 whilst the latter were touring England.

So they should be showing England vs Pakistan.

That '92 series was good. Especially the close Lords test and the bowling throughout the series of Waqar and Wasim. Don't think they've ever shown it - though they did show highlights of one day's play from a match in '87.

They showed a test from 1974 and some of the series from 1987 when they had the BBC deal. They never showed any others nor any games v New Zealand at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the trouble is that any cricket they show is from the Channel 4/5 era, which is only ten years old...I do remember that one day from Eng v Pak in 1987 - it was over in 15 minutes in real time so the highlights showed that together with an interview with both captains at the time...That was shown last summer along with the 1981 Ashes series - glad i had my DVD R on for that one :D