Options

Should friends provide sandwiches if you visit between the hours of 12 to 1 ?

Comments

• Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always try to be a good hostess for overnight guests - orange juice, milk, tea, bread, bacon and eggs should all be in good supply.

For lunch they can fend for themselves though :D
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's a planned visit I do make lunch just like they would for me. If it's unplanned then they will get a cuppa and cake.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    personally i won`t visit anyone who doesn`t serve a selection of sandwiches, a dainty arrangement petit fours and properly made pimms at the drop of a raised pinky.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have friends?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    You have friends?

:D:D

Maybe the OP's 'friend' sent a letter to say to come at 2.00 and to pop by Greggs on his way over to grab a bap and a pastie but he'd put a 2nd class stamp on so it was binned. :p
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has friends?

And I'm assuming that "visiting" doesn't include "meeting with friends".
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you have friends, OP. Enjoy your homemade sandwich.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I don't think you have friends, OP. Enjoy your homemade sandwich.

Your right in the sense they consider me a friend but I don't see them like that. They are merely a resource called upon when required and no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rufusrain wrote: »
    Your right in the sense they consider me a friend but I don't see them like that. They are merely a resource called upon when required and no more.

Dude, you should hear the things they say about YOU.
  • Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Dude, you should hear the things they say about YOU.

Probably about how great the sandwiches I serve are between the hours of 12 and 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably about how great the sandwiches I serve are between the hours of 12 and 1.

Yeah, they had no complaints about the quality of your sandwiches. But you know that one guy who DOES make sandwiches when you go round?

They have "the chef's special sauce" in them. They are, in a sense, "made with love".

Apart from the Marmite ones. Those have just been up his bum.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always try to be a good hostess for overnight guests - orange juice, milk, tea, bread, bacon and eggs should all be in good supply.

For lunch they can fend for themselves though :D

We had friends over last night, I fed them before and after the pub but was too hungover to provide breakfast, I actually still haven't eaten yet :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Also, wouldn't it depend on when the person you visit has lunch? Most days I don't eat breakfast so have my lunch about 11. If I've had a bad nights sleep and stay in bed later lunch might be at 2. If I wasn't making my own lunch I'd never think of making a meal for a visitor. Just a cuppa and cake or biscuit.

Showing up, uninvited at mealtimes is kind of rude anyway.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's since the recession people have kept their bread bins shut it seems which is no way to make a recovery or friendship last long term.

Its so disappointing, isn't it?
    My eyes light up when they open the bread bin, and there in open view is a packet of malt loaf :p
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    why should they, if i go and visit someone i don't expect to be fed or offered a drink, if offered yeah i accept but if not it doesn't matter

Oh I think it's the height of rudeness not to offer a guest a cup of tea or coffee
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also mention the fact of they don't carry butter.
    These so called politically-correct unleaded spreads are made out of E numbers holding hands with sludged plastic.

I ensure a tasty alternative is on hand with my packet of Lurpack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find as I've got older, I'm always shoving food down their throats.
    " Here. Get that down you".
    " Get that ate. You look like you'll slip down a drainhole cover."
    " Eat that!! It'll only go to waste...."
    " Here, Eat this. You look like you could do with a few carveries in you, fatten you up".
    You know the sort of thing-all the things your Aunts say to you, even though youre now 50-odd lol :)

Do we have a moral responsibility to fatten up lunchtime visitors? I think the question should be asked. ......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure there is food in your house. Obviously offer a drink/cuppa first and then ask "Would you like anything to eat?"

I am usually eating my breakfast at this time.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I find as I've got older, I'm always shoving food down their throats.
    " Here. Get that down you".
    " Get that ate. You look like you'll slip down a drainhole cover."
    " Eat that!! It'll only go to waste...."
    " Here, Eat this. You look like you could do with a few carveries in you, fatten you up".
    You know the sort of thing-all the things your Aunts say to you, even though youre now 50-odd lol :)

Do we have a moral responsibility to fatten up lunchtime visitors? I think the question should be asked. ......

how lovely and welcoming for your visitors.

edit: that`s sincere, not arseholery.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always got something in to give people if they call round. Usually have homemade soup and sandwich fillings in the fridge anyway, and homebakes for a cuppa. I'm a domestic goddess and would be embarrassed to be caught out without anything in to give to guests . I would always offer a drink at the very least - just good manners :)
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Should friends provide sandwiches if you visit between the hours of 12 to 1 ?

No
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always got something in to give people if they call round. Usually have homemade soup and sandwich fillings in the fridge anyway, and homebakes for a cuppa. I'm a domestic goddess and would be embarrassed to be caught out without anything in to give to guests . I would always offer a drink at the very least - just good manners :)

I would love to be like that. If someone calls after a big shop we're grand but any other time I'm desperately trying to cobble together a plate of Quite Hard Scone (with little nicks out of it where I picked off a bits of mould) and a couple of Blue Ribands. :blush:
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who calls to me at lunch time always come with rolls or scones etc . As do I if I turn up at that time
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Anyone who calls to me at lunch time always come with rolls or scones etc . As do I if I turn up at that time

That's true actually. My friends and I usually do a bakery run before visiting eachother.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but as a friend would you not want that more so I can provide comfort support and humour? For the cost of a sandwich seems a small price

Perhaps you don't? Perhaps they don't enjoy indepth discussions of pegs on washing lines.

:D