Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have wifi in your home? buy an internet radio, it's all on there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Do you have wifi in your home? buy an internet radio, it's all on there.

I don't have wifi and my internet is pay as you go. I have only recently moved , but at the moment my internet costs something crazy , like £20 a day. I think I can get some deal a bit cheaper, but I have to pay a big deposit
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I only wish that I could get DAB radio. Nicky Campbell was once again going on about how wonderful Digital radio is, but it is impossible to receive where I am. ( In the centre of a big city like Nottingham) If I can get it , it is very poor reception , and have to stick the aerial out of the window. So don't go claiming it is so good. I bought another DAB radio thinking that it might work, but it doesn't, so I cannot hear 5 Sports extra. I have no problem getting Radio 4 long wave, they ought to put sport on that channel

David, I am not collecting the views and I am not connected with the BBC Trust. The link in my last post leads you to the Radio Today website where it tells you that the BBC Trust are conducting a listeners poll regarding their views of talk radio stations, (5 live and Radio 4) on the BBC.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David, I am not collecting the views and I am not connected with the BBC Trust. The link in my last post leads you to the Radio Today website where it tells you that the BBC Trust are conducting a listeners poll regarding their views of talk radio stations, (5 live and Radio 4) on the BBC.

Thanks SBK... nice one for putting that link up _ cheers :)
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Peter Allen's morning show is a definite improvement on Victoria Derbyshire's Womens' Tales of Woe.

The item on " When you think you've made it, " really made me smile !
  • Options
    Billy_BoyBilly_Boy Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Noooooo - F word on Afternoon Edition. They should have checked that record track!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Thanks for that !

I put my views up and they were modded! Apparently calling the 2 idiots (who do the weekend paper review with the dreadful Noi-Land) muppets is not allowed. :D

I must learn not to be so blunt in my postings. :blush:
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    I don't have wifi and my internet is pay as you go. I have only recently moved , but at the moment my internet costs something crazy , like £20 a day. I think I can get some deal a bit cheaper, but I have to pay a big deposit

What do you mean pay as you go? Are you on dial up or something? You'd be better off buying a PAYG Android phone with a decent monthly allowance and use it as a wifi hotspot or stream radio using something like iplayer or tunein radio. Cost you far less than what you're paying now.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean pay as you go? Are you on dial up or something? You'd be better off buying a PAYG Android phone with a decent monthly allowance and use it as a wifi hotspot or stream radio using something like iplayer or tunein radio. Cost you far less than what you're paying now.

I'd recommend this. I pay just shy of £13 per month for my android mobile phone contract, which includes all-you-can-eat data. As someone who listens to a massive amount of radio when on the move and in the office via my phone through the TuneIn radio app (and that's before I get to other internet use via my phone), I feel it is great value for money on top of all the monthly phone minutes I use.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the record(and in the interests of balance), Peter Allen interviewed a Financial Journalist from the Daily Telegraph on the Budget Deficit and National Debt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    For the record(and in the interests of balance), Peter Allen interviewed a Financial Journalist from the Daily Telegraph on the Budget Deficit and National Debt.

Well that makes a change !
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And one who didn't play the partisan role as the Mirror and Guardian journos proffered the chance to make an opinion do.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Chris Warburton and his co host (?) drive tonight very entertaining. The station seems to have covered for Peter Allen well.

For the interest of balance, I found the article on breat feeding at Claridges one-sided.
    The publicity hungry mother was interviewed without anyone from an opposing view. The co-host did ask the attention seeker, however these questions were so easy for her to racket back it was embarrassing.
    There should have been someone interviewed who is/are uncomfortable with breast feeding taking place in the middle of a restaurant. Perhaps a member of the public who because of their background does not consider females should show there breasts albeit part in public. Perhaps the interviewer could have even asked why would a parent bring a young baby to a venue such as Claridges?
    Anyway balance and taxing questions would be good.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tells you a lot about the BBC when someone has to point out that a journo being asked an opinion is NOT in fact from the Indy,Guardian or Mirror. :) Its like they hope nobody notices the usual crowd cropping up every so often on 5live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    I found Chris Warburton and his co host (?) drive tonight very entertaining. The station seems to have covered for Peter Allen well.

For the interest of balance, I found the article on breat feeding at Claridges one-sided.
    The publicity hungry mother was interviewed without anyone from an opposing view. The co-host did ask the attention seeker, however these questions were so easy for her to racket back it was embarrassing.
    There should have been someone interviewed who is/are uncomfortable with breast feeding taking place in the middle of a restaurant. Perhaps a member of the public who because of their background does not consider females should show there breasts albeit part in public. Perhaps the interviewer could have even asked why would a parent bring a young baby to a venue such as Claridges?
    Anyway balance and taxing questions would be good.

You forget Radio 5 is very pro breast feeding any where :o I don't know the full story so I've no idea if the Mother covered her breast & the baby's head with a shawl or not, but I'd imagine if she didn't some people were a bit embarrassed ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You forget Radio 5 is very pro breast feeding any where :o I don't know the full story so I've no idea if the Mother covered her breast & the baby's head with a shawl or not, but I'd imagine if she didn't some people were a bit embarrassed ..

I'm surprised by how often LBC is shown on BBC news these days....global must be delighted with free publicity like this as they have secured Farage & Clegg for regular phone-ins and of course the occasional BoJo one & it all gets shown on the 6 o clock programme....

As LBC is not a national broadcaster (in the strict sense like 5live) it's impressive how they are raising their profile with such events & an embarrassment for 5live programme controllers that it's not them being featured with their own corporation.

To wit the breast feeding discussion above where Nigel F did project a reasoned opposing view to this...

I don't think he'd have been allowed to proffer a reasoned different view on 5.... and just be shouted down for being misogynistic by the grauniad troops....

I look forward to next week's QT with Farage and Brand.... whatever your colours and views on UKIP I imagine one will at least give a straight answer where the other will talk total cobblers.... :p:D

A quick ps to Nolan who I can't bear but did make me chuckle when the caller talking about obesity on QT extra roped Nolan and JP in as all being a a bit outsized! & he did take it well and had a laugh about it.. dislike his presenting but credit where due ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I'm surprised by how often LBC is shown on BBC news these days....global must be delighted with free publicity like this as they have secured Farage & Clegg for regular phone-ins and of course the occasional BoJo one & it all gets shown on the 6 o clock programme....

As LBC is not a national broadcaster (in the strict sense like 5live) it's impressive how they are raising their profile with such events & an embarrassment for 5live programme controllers that it's not them being featured with their own corporation.

To wit the breast feeding discussion above where Nigel F did project a reasoned opposing view to this...

I don't think he'd have been allowed to proffer a reasoned different view on 5.... and just be shouted down for being misogynistic by the grauniad troops....

I look forward to next week's QT with Farage and Brand.... whatever your colours and views on UKIP I imagine one will at least give a straight answer where the other will talk total cobblers.... :p:D

A quick ps to Nolan who I can't bear but did make me chuckle when the caller talking about obesity on QT extra roped Nolan and JP in as all being a a bit outsized! & he did take it well and had a laugh about it.. dislike his presenting but credit where due ...

Yes I noticed that LBC was mentioned on the BBC news more than in the past.

I do sometimes wonder if all those drugs that Russell Brand's taken in the past has done something to his brain :o

I gather Nolan, having lost a lot of weight has put 3 stone back on again !
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this not something to do with the fact that 5live broadcasts from Up North somewhere? This breastfeeding story is scarcely likely to have received national attention if it were not in a London hotel so, presumably, LBC would be better positioned to run with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    They did read a couple of emails out ( from women) who didn't agree with breastfeeding in public. One of them commented on the claim that breastfeeding was a normal human function by saying that so was going to the toilet , but we don't do that in public.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member

Imagine the 6 weeks of programming devoted to it if VD was still around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the misfortune to leave my pad on after QT and woke up with Rachel Burden.... :o
    Nope....still the same and haven't missed anything... :p
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Imagine the 6 weeks of programming devoted to it if VD was still around.

Breast feeding on the radio has never been an issue for me:D
  • Options
    fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Breast feeding on the radio has never been an issue for me:D

My wife tried it but kept slipping off.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Had the misfortune to leave my pad on after QT and woke up with Rachel Burden.... :o
    Nope....still the same and haven't missed anything... :p

Rachel Burden a woman so devoid of intelligence her only topic of conversation is her bloody kids.
This discussion has been closed.