Hollyoaks: John Paul storyline

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    montferrat wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that JP and Lockie have great sexual chemistry and the writers choose to lump him with Misery Ste instead. That scene in the back of the lorry was filled with great promise and you could feel the attraction.

Instead it's a year more at least of Misery and Mayhem with McHay.

OH, plus we get Sinead, one of the least likable characters on the show, intertwined with their storyline. Even more reason to not look forward to any of this. Meh....

I agree.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francy wrote: »
    Ugh... For some people it's really "anyone but", isn't it?? If JP is to have another romance, I want something better for him than a tryst with his cousin in law, and most importantly I want him opposed to someone who can actually act.

Lockie is nowhere near proper love interest material. It's sad that the flopness of McHay (but people should just stop kicking and screaming, it's here to stay for the time being) and the fact that there are no other options is making Lockie and JP/Lockie into a valid option.

Trouble is Lockie is the only option. I wonder if we will see more of Connor. He has HIV too so it stands to reason he will have regular check ups too. They want to use this hospital set as much as possible. They have bothered to name him so you never know.
  • Lucie_GirardLucie_Girard Posts: 36,092
    Forum Member
    ME1234567 wrote: »
    I agree.

Me too
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trouble is Lockie is the only option. I wonder if we will see more of Connor. He has HIV too so it stands to reason he will have regular check ups too. They want to use this hospital set as much as possible. They have bothered to name him so you never know.

I don't want JP anywhere near Lockie. I want the show to stop sucking, to start writing decently, to bring in new decent characters, and JP to have another OTP-worthy romance I can root for and obsess about that makes the destruction of McDean worth it. And it won't happen with idiot Lockie, he's good just for a fling and a temporary affair (which would also ruin JP as a character, given that he would be cheating on his husband AND betraying his supposedly beloved cousin).

Is it worth it to completely character assassinate (on the moral level) JP (as if he hasn't already been ruined enough since his return, with his personality downgrade) just to have a few kissing scenes with Lockie (which will never be hot anyway, since James can't screen kiss to save his life) and to get him away from Ste at all costs?

Ok, people don't like McHay, but I'd rather stick with it and JP be portrayed positively (standing by his ill husband, being a family man, etc) until they inevitably implode AND a more suitable love interest is brought in for JP, than have the character marred by the usual secret, within-the-family stupid affair.

He's one of the few morally decent people in HO, even though people accuse him of being boring for it. Have him sleep with Lockie, add to that whatever they are planning to do with Harry *shudder*, and I see JP being ruined forever.

I find it sad that people care so little about character integrity, and would have JP do anything and anyone as long as it's not Ste.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    I hated those asinine wedding episodes and everything about them. Not only are John Paul and Ste acing out of character, but so is Phoebe. As if the real Phoebe would ever have taken part in that stupid dance routine!
  • Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    I hated those asinine wedding episodes and everything about them. Not only are John Paul and Ste acing out of character, but so is Phoebe. As if the real Phoebe would ever have taken part in that stupid dance routine!

I agree. I just found myself rolling my eyes through the whole thing and the fake tears were really annoying me.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want JP anywhere near Lockie. I want the show to stop sucking, to start writing decently, to bring in new decent characters, and JP to have another OTP-worthy romance I can root for and obsess about that makes the destruction of McDean worth it. And it won't happen with idiot Lockie, he's good just for a fling and a temporary affair (which would also ruin JP as a character, given that he would be cheating on his husband AND betraying his supposedly beloved cousin).

Is it worth it to completely character assassinate (on the moral level) JP (as if he hasn't already been ruined enough since his return, with his personality downgrade) just to have a few kissing scenes with Lockie (which will never be hot anyway, since James can't screen kiss to save his life) and to get him away from Ste at all costs?

Ok, people don't like McHay, but I'd rather stick with it and JP be portrayed positively (standing by his ill husband, being a family man, etc) until they inevitably implode AND a more suitable love interest is brought in for JP, than have the character marred by the usual secret, within-the-family stupid affair.

He's one of the few morally decent people in HO, even though people accuse him of being boring for it. Have him sleep with Lockie, add to that whatever they are planning to do with Harry *shudder*, and I see JP being ruined forever.

I find it sad that people care so little about character integrity, and would have JP do anything and anyone as long as it's not Ste.

I think James has been fine with kissing Kieron especially recently with how often they've done it. In the ep last night they kissex a lot and it was fine by James.

I hope JP doesnt cheat either. Have him happy, standing by and up for,Ste and getting hus job back. At least give a reason for McHay to be married rather than making history and its just for the sake of it. McHay must stay tigether for a whilr now to make it worthwhile.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    How could John Paul get his job back? He's a former teacher with a criminal record for physically assaulting a pupil in front of the whole class. There may have been mitigating circumstances, but the authorities surely wouldn't be prepared to take the chance that he might react violently again the next time he is under stress.
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    How could John Paul get his job back? He's a former teacher with a criminal record for physically assaulting a pupil in front of the whole class. There may have been mitigating circumstances, but the authorities surely wouldn't be prepared to take the chance that he might react violently again the next time he is under stress.

Bécasse BK said so.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bécasse BK said so.:confused:

Remember the swapping of the statements in the rape trial and Dodger coming in to a court room with a phone as evidence. HO have decided that they are going total soap and viewers shouldn't think about anything deeply as this is just pure entertainment to be forgotten as soon as you see it so anything like the assault are forgotten.
    Forum Member
    Remember the swapping of the statements in the rape trial and Dodger coming in to a court room with a phone as evidence. HO have decided that they are going total soap and viewers shouldn't think about anything deeply as this is just pure entertainment to be forgotten as soon as you see it so anything like the assault are forgotten.

Just the fact that they are getting married only one month after Mercy and Carmel are gone It's pathetic. I am surprised that Brendan got a mention. *sigh*

But most and for all Where is the chemestry between the two? I am probably blind because i don't see it and i don't feel it.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Lockie and JP should ger together before the inevitable mess of the HIV maybe spreading.
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I think James has been fine with kissing Kieron especially recently with how often they've done it. In the ep last night they kissex a lot and it was fine by James.

I hope JP doesnt cheat either. Have him happy, standing by and up for,Ste and getting hus job back. At least give a reason for McHay to be married rather than making history and its just for the sake of it. McHay must stay tigether for a whilr now to make it worthwhile.

I agree that I would rather JP did not cheat, but I would prefer him to have a normal human reaction to Ste's drug use and cheating and leave Ste. However, Hollyoaks will probably have him be perfectly fine with it.
    Forum Member
    trevon1 wrote: »
    I agree that I would rather JP did not cheat, but I would prefer him to have a normal human reaction to Ste's drug use and cheating and leave Ste. However, Hollyoaks will probably have him be perfectly fine with it.

Yes i am afraid that it is what will happen:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind JP and Ste splitting up (I even welcome it). It's inevitable because it's HO, and even if the relationship hadn't been written as a total mess from the start, they still wouldn't have had a chance of succeeding, in the long run.

But I don't want JP to behave like all the other soap characters by sleazily cheating, especially with someone who is married to one of his family members. I have always loved JP for his good heart, his morality in a family of trollops, and his strive to do the right thing (even if at times he fails).

So no, JP should never get with Lockie, unless both of them break up with their respective spouses.

Which of course means it WILL happen. I hope the character assassination will make people happy! Anything, even killing babies, to get him away from Ste! LOL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the fact that they are getting married only one month after Mercy and Carmel are gone It's pathetic. I am surprised that Brendan got a mention. *sigh*

But most and for all Where is the chemestry between the two? I am probably blind because i don't see it and i don't feel it.

It was interesting when he said he wanted a permanent daddy as Brendan and Doug weren't. Leah said the only daddy they wanted was him. Amy mentioned how he keeps going from one relationship to another without a break. It ties up with the fact he was a dad at a very young age and has depended on others to look after not only the kids but himself as well.

JP did say they were like each others carers and on his part Ste supported him after the rape. Ste is still very immature and needs JP to be the adult so he can continue to act like an irresponsible kid. He thinks being married locks that in. He wanted to marry Brendan and 'married' Doug for the same reasons.

It is about time JP finds someone who loves him for himself rather than be a crutch for someone to lean on. This is why he described Lockie as simple on that he knows what he wants. I think they did show he cares for JP.
    Forum Member
    It was interesting when he said he wanted a permanent daddy as Brendan and Doug weren't. Leah said the only daddy they wanted was him. Amy mentioned how he keeps going from one relationship to another without a break. It ties up with the fact he was a dad at a very young age and has depended on others to look after not only the kids but himself as well.

JP did say they were like each others carers and on his part Ste supported him after the rape. Ste is still very immature and needs JP to be the adult so he can continue to act like an irresponsible kid. He thinks being married locks that in. He wanted to marry Brendan and 'married' Doug for the same reasons.

It is about time JP finds someone who loves him for himself rather than be a crutch for someone to lean on. This is why he described Lockie as simple on that he knows what he wants. I think they did show he cares for JP.

So true and the fact that He locked up Sinead just because he didn't want her to Tell JP that She was having his baby just show that He doesn't Have a lot of faith in JP and him.

Just saying. I was very Happy that Sinead told everybody the truth. And the face of Myra and Nana says it all. They know their son and they know He will be hurt.
  • orliefowlerorliefowler Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Ste is acting more in character than JP.

My beloved Ste is super needy and always has been. He mistakes attention for love and has repeatedly fallen instantly for anyone who shows the slightest interest. I could therefore buy Ste deluding himself that he is in love with JP if he feels he is being offered love, security, attention, and family in return - as he has done before.

Because of that history, this McHay thing could work for me as a story line if I felt like JP loved Ste. I could then at least understand the relationship even if I felt like Ste was again deluding himself.

The problem I have is that I absolutely cannot understand why JP would have the slightest interest in Ste. I find it hard to believe he would be attracted to someone like Ste to begin with. When you add in the drug use, repeated lying, baby-on-the-way, and HIV, it becomes even more crazy-pants in my mind! Neither JP's past, nor the current storytelling is helping me get this whole relationship.
    Forum Member

My beloved Ste is super needy and always has been. He mistakes attention for love and has repeatedly fallen instantly for anyone who shows the slightest interest. I could therefore buy Ste deluding himself that he is in love with JP if he feels he is being offered love, security, attention, and family in return - as he has done before.

Because of that history, this McHay thing could work for me as a story line if I felt like JP loved Ste. I could then at least understand the relationship even if I felt like Ste was again deluding himself.

The problem I have is that I absolutely cannot understand why JP would have the slightest interest in Ste. I find it hard to believe he would be attracted to someone like Ste to begin with. When you add in the drug use, repeated lying, baby-on-the-way, and HIV, it becomes even more crazy-pants in my mind! Neither JP's past, nor the current storytelling is helping me get this whole relationship.

Very Well said
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the fundsmental problem. JP would not touch Ste with s barge pole. It was so much better when they hated each other and indulged in fisticuffs because that was believable . What would they have to talk about? JP is well educated and Ste isn't. Craig and JP were at the same educational level and had music and football as mutual interests.

The basic problem was they were the only gays in the village and I think the producers assumed putting 2 popular characters together would work: imo they dont. I think they should have developed a friendship and the producers should have brought more gay characters in. I don't think viewers can stand 18 months of this couple.u
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the fundsmental problem. JP would not touch Ste with s barge pole. It was so much better when they hated each other and indulged in fisticuffs because that was believable . What would they have to talk about? JP is well educated and Ste isn't. Craig and JP were at the same educational level and had music and football as mutual interests.

The basic problem was they were the only gays in the village and I think the producers assumed putting 2 popular characters together would work: imo they dont. I think they should have developed a friendship and the producers should have brought more gay characters in. I don't think viewers can stand 18 months of this couple.u

It depends on who these viewers are.... people here on DS, no, they can't. But elsewhere the couple isn't as hated, and even has fans. I read great support for them on Facebook, for example. The general viewers who are not on message boards and don't ship obsessively and just watch the show to pass the time are not very choosy or critical, they go along with everything and they like everything, except the villains.

If HO want to appeal to that wider audience, then McHay is no problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on who these viewers are.... people here on DS, no, they can't. But elsewhere the couple isn't as hated, and even has fans. I read great support for them on Facebook, for example. The general viewers who are not on message boards and don't ship obsessively and just watch the show to pass the time are not very choosymor critical, they go along with everything and they like everything, except the villains.

If HO want to appeal to that wider audience, then McHay is no problem.

This really irritates me. Social media is about short sentences and quick responses which sums up the problem. Many people on here enjoy deep interesting storylines. Social media is about a quick fix and BK has said that the criticisms of the show are outdated. So we see the show reflect that. Hence JP forgives Ste immediately every time he does something wrong. No time to cogitate and reflect on the situation which old JP would. I remember the wonderful scene when Craig crawled back to him after taking. Sarah on holiday. He wasn't a blow up doll and told him to get out. Where has that JP gone??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really irritates me. Social media is about short sentences and quick responses which sums up the problem. Many people on here enjoy deep interesting storylines. Social media is about a quick fix and BK has said that the criticisms of the show are outdated. So we see the show reflect that. Hence JP forgives Ste immediately every time he does something wrong. No time to cogitate and reflect on the situation which old JP would. I remember the wonderful scene when Craig crawled back to him after taking. Sarah on holiday. He wasn't a blow up doll and told him to get out. Where has that JP gone??

It's not just JP (or McHay. People here like to hate on McHay, but they are not even the worst thing in the show, by a long shot), it's the whole show. It has changed fundamentally (for the worse). The writing is superficial and the pacing ridiculous, in every episode there are 2,346 things happening with no depth whatsover, when in the past those same events would have taken place over weeks of development, along with character moments and character development, which are totally non-existent now, given that the characters are not meant to matter besides serving the plot.

The show is always going to be like this and worse, until Kirkwood finally leaves and someone else rectifies the situation (provided that the show isn't axed before that).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just JP (or McHay. People here like to hate on McHay, but they are not even the worst thing in the show, by a long shot), it's the whole show. It has changed fundamentally (for the worse). The writing is superficial and the pacing ridiculous, in every episode there are 2,346 things happening with no depth whatsover, when in the past those same events would have taken place over weeks of development, along with character moments and character development, which are totally non-existent now, given that the characters are not meant to matter besides serving the plot.

The show is always going to be like this and worse, until Kirkwood finally leaves and someone else rectifies the situation (provided that the show isn't axed before that).

I have read posts where people say that is what they want. All the plot holes don't matter : the sillier it gets the better.

Just watched the episode on fast forward most of the time. Ste looks like he is on speed with a wide eyed stare and JP looks defeated. The only way a human being would put up with this is if he feels he deserves it in some way rather like Ste told Brendan he thought he deserved being beaten.

It was interesting JP said something might have happened with Lockie because I thought he was just playing him. When they look at each other there is just nothing. When JP and Lockie looked at each other in the van there was something.
This discussion has been closed.