Derren Brown ...What do people think (if anything)

Comments

• mdHekLamdHekLa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Maybe they froze the half of the screen the balls were on, there was a bit of a gap between that and the screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    biggee2505 wrote: »
    So how do you think he did it then?

No idea. That's not the problem.
    It was the whole show that was bad. We didn't get the prediction we were promised after all the hype and we got to watch him watching tv.
    We didn't get a close up view of the balls at any point until they were turned around and his reason for not turning them around at the start was ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Maybe they froze the half of the screen the balls were on, there was a bit of a gap between that and the screen.
    biggee2505 wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible.

Of course it is some sort of misdirection, I'm sticking my neck on the line and saying it is a camera trick.

Notice how he stands very still during the draw, I've noticed the LHS of the screen looks as if it freezes, so maybe some manipulation to get the correct balls on the stand?

Thats wot I think, as I said previous, although it may be more elaborate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    people need to realise and watch the whole thing again..he is very clever with his wording..

He said that he had a meeting with camelot..and the BBC have a legal right to ANNOUNCE the lottery numbers before anyone else...and he cant show his numbers until the BBC have announced them..keyword ANNOUNCE.. and not PREDICT

Which means he would have already had the lottery numbers...I think the BBC / Channel 4 are all aware of his trick and how he does it..

Simple camera trickery allows him to manipulate the balls while his mouth was covered to showing the numbers after the lottery was drawn...Then he announced the numbers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was still impressed however he did it. Beat the pants off some sporting event earlier!
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »
    Master of auto suggestion.

As happens every day tp public via tabloids,Radio1 telling you what cr*p music you HAVE to buy, advertising etc.....

Done by using "trigger " words that set off a line of communication ni subconscious and into conscious thoughts controlled in part by him using triggers.

It is not "magic" but clever mental manipulation.

He did a trick once where he made someone write their ideal present down, claiming he had "predicted" it and had one for them.

he then chatted to them, quite innocently (so it seemed) before asking them what it was. they said a red BMX and TADA it matched what he'd got them.

He then asked them to open the envelope - they'd said something completely different but he'd "brainwashed" his answer into them.

They then replayed the trick with subtitles, with the trigger words in bold. It was fascinating.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,809
    Forum Member
    Dapz321 wrote: »
    people need to realise and watch the whole thing again..he is very clever with his wording..

He said that he had a meeting with camelot..and the BBC have a legal right to ANNOUNCE the lottery numbers before anyone else...and he cant show his numbers until the BBC have announced them..keyword ANNOUNCE.. and not PREDICT

Which means he would have already had the lottery numbers...I think the BBC / Channel 4 are all aware of his trick and how he does it..

Simple camera trickery allows him to manipulate the balls while his mouth was covered to showing the numbers after the lottery was drawn...Then he announced the numbers

The ONE show at 7pm 'announced' what they predicted the winning numbers would be and they didn't seem concerned they may pre-empt the draw.

So bloke announces winning numbers after draw is made?

Don't the BBC have a voice over artist that does that anyway?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's a weasel faced *rse !
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The frozen screen thing seems plausible to me, but I can't see Brown admitting to using that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    The frozen screen thing seems plausible to me, but I can't see Brown admitting to using that!

I'm not for one second saying I believe he can predict the lottery but didn't he say he'd been working on this for a year...surely freezing half the screen and writing the numbers on balls during the time delay is just a bit too easy for Deren and wouldn't take a year to perfect!

However he did it I think the guy is amazing and can't wait til Friday but as my brother said, I bet he just gives a hint as to how he did it and not explain fully otherwise the lottery would be no more!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lottery is a game of chance (unless you are a conspiracy theorist!), there is no way the BBC would dare rig it, can you imagine the lawsuits if they were found out?

I think Derren Brown used the classic split-screen method, hence two cameras when he only needed one. The left-hand side was frozen until he stepped over, an assistant probably came in and wrote down/attached the numbers as they were revealed. He is an illusionist, not a mind-reader, as he said on the preceding TV show.

The interesting bit will be how he spins it on Friday. If it's an unsatisfactory explanation then his following 'events' might not be too popular!
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I found it fascinating and I'm looking forward to Friday when he reveals all.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    The Lottery is a game of chance (unless you are a conspiracy theorist!), there is no way the BBC would dare rig it, can you imagine the lawsuits if they were found out?

I think Derren Brown used the classic split-screen method, hence two cameras when he only needed one. The left-hand side was frozen until he stepped over, an assistant probably came in and wrote down/attached the numbers as they were revealed. He is an illusionist, not a mind-reader, as he said on the preceding TV show.

The interesting bit will be how he spins it on Friday. If it's an unsatisfactory explanation then his following 'events' might not be too popular!

That would take to long more likely an assistant stood there with a tray of numbered balls and put them on the stand as they were called out. While they repeat the numbers the assistant just had to put them in the right order

The last ball is actually out of line at the end which would indicate it had been moved.

Simple but effective :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People...you're theories are just that...theories. You don't know how he did it...this guy could have shot a blank bullet at his head which would have killed him...he is just very good at what he does....He is a showman and an amazing one at that..we should just enjoy the shows he puts on and relax.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 25,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie wrote: »
    I think he's a weasel faced *rse !

he speaks highly of you too.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked at it again on youtube. Behind him on the wall was a big long vertical mirror. Now i'm guessing that that was used as some kind of projector?
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pussyfoot wrote: »
    So do i, but i've heard he 'bats for the other side'!

He is quite open about being gay and 'came out' last year I believe.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 25,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    He is quite open about being gay and 'came out' last year I believe.

I thought he was married with a couple of kids.:eek:
  • Kopite76Kopite76 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    he still could be gay but who cares - nice trick thats got everybody talking!
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    I thought he was married with a couple of kids.:eek:
    No he's in a long term relationship with his man.
  • carrollscarrolls Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did he do it? Heres how.
    Only the footage before the last ball is picked is live.
    After that there are aroud 15,000 endings. The producer used his computer to pick the ending with the most correctly predicted balls.
    The camera is jerky for a reason. Also he is very still at that point for a reason. To cover up the join between live and recorded footage.
    You may ask why is there only 15,000 possible endings with 14,000,000 possible combinations of 6 numbers.
    1: His goal was only to get 5 numbers. This brings the random odds to around 50,000. If the sixth number comes up its a bonus.
    2: The random odds for 15000 entries is around 800:1 which means 15,000 possible endings.
    The figure of 800 can easilly be brought down to double figures by playing the odds.
    For example. The lowest number called is likely to be below 25 while the highest number called is likely to be above 25.
    Therefore 1,2,3,4,5,6 or similar combinations are not likely and are eliminated because 6 is lower than 25.
    There are odds calculators available to calculate sequences that are more likely to come up than others.
    So the 15000 sequences chosen by Browne to film are the most likely to come up out of the 50,000. Remember he was only going for 5 numbers.
    3: The odds of getting a sixth number after getting the first 5 is only 44:1 and this will be brought down considerably by the odds calculator.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a phoney. Come on, do u really beleve he did that? When he went over to his 'balls' the camera changed to a closer shot and so that could easily have been pre-recorded or whatever. If he can predict the lottery numbers, dont you think he'd be winning it every week?!!

I'm sure he wont 'reveal' how he did it on friday. Its just another way of making people tune into another of his shows to talk about his 'amazing' magic which is complete bull.
  • Alien28Alien28 Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My initial theory was the whole split screen thing, with the image to the left frozen.

But he did say that he'd reveal how he did it on Friday and (more importantly) how we could do it.

Now I don't think for 1 split second that he REALLY knew the number before the draw, or that he'll reveal a real method for people at home to use.

Regardless, the theory presented by carrolls is not doable by people at home, and I would also say that the split screen theory isn't doable by people at home.

Either way, I love watching Derren Brown, there not much of his stuff that I have missed, even have his book, and I'll be looking forward to watching his show on Friday.

[Edit] Just read another theory about the possibility of using E-Ink on the balls, plausible, but not probable I'd imagine, due to my previous reasoning.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carrolls wrote: »
    How did he do it? Heres how.
    Only the footage before the last ball is picked is live.
    After that there are aroud 15,000 endings. The producer used his computer to pick the ending with the most correctly predicted balls.
    The camera is jerky for a reason. Also he is very still at that point for a reason. To cover up the join between live and recorded footage.
    You may ask why is there only 15,000 possible endings with 14,000,000 possible combinations of 6 numbers.
    1: His goal was only to get 5 numbers. This brings the random odds to around 50,000. If the sixth number comes up its a bonus.
    2: The random odds for 15000 entries is around 800:1 which means 15,000 possible endings.
    The figure of 800 can easilly be brought down to double figures by playing the odds.
    For example. The lowest number called is likely to be below 25 while the highest number called is likely to be above 25.
    Therefore 1,2,3,4,5,6 or similar combinations are not likely and are eliminated because 6 is lower than 25.
    There are odds calculators available to calculate sequences that are more likely to come up than others.
    So the 15000 sequences chosen by Browne to film are the most likely to come up out of the 50,000. Remember he was only going for 5 numbers.
    3: The odds of getting a sixth number after getting the first 5 is only 44:1 and this will be brought down considerably by the odds calculator.

Just totaly wrong :D

Do you really believe he would gamble at 50,000 to 1 on live TV

It was a trick and a farly simple one at that. It was never going to go wrong and he was always going to get 6 right

Simple but still effective :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I could make some witty quip about Derren Brown playing with balls but I won't.

Personally. didn't watch the "stunt" and it will be interesting to know how he did it. It's probably so headslappingly simple you would never think of it in years.