Psychologists find people benefit from chatting to randoms on transport

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201411/why-you-should-talk-strangers

Do you talk to people on trains / planes / buses / tubes? Do you find it makes the journey more bearable? What are good conversation starters for you? For the oldies - do you remember a time when people chatted on transport more? or in queues etc..

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never talk to anyone on public transport. It's against the rules :)
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'd never talk to anyone on public transport. It's against the rules :)

You're obviously not a Geordie :D
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember this one time I caught the bus and this young lady with a pushchair was talking too this older couple about the monotony of her life, I thought they new each other really well. it was only when the young lady got off the old women told me she diden't know her from Adam....
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find with girls that "I bought that underwear last year, why don't yours have holes in yet?" a great ice breaker
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very odd when people use the word 'randoms' instead of 'strangers'.
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes sometimes i talk to the people on the buses but they dont talk back to me and i get angry and confused and it is sad for everyone:(
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could do it alot when I was at uni and less in my PGCE (This year)... Sometimes I used to look up and observe and guess what everybody's looking at their phone :/ boring....
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on a bus last week and a chap opposite was rabbiting nonstop to the woman next to him.
    Then, when she got off, he looked around and sat by another woman and banged on and on about the rugby. Then he said "Have you seen they got Mr Bean in the Snickers advert now instead of Joan Collins? He's funny isn't he?"
    I'd have had to say something very blunt if he'd chosen me.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    You're obviously not a Geordie :D

No .. worse .. an Essex man :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very odd when people use the word 'randoms' instead of 'strangers'.

I agree. "Randoms in the Night" just doesn't work does it?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind strangers, but can't stand chatting to randoms.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201411/why-you-should-talk-strangers

Do you talk to people on trains / planes / buses / tubes? Do you find it makes the journey more bearable? What are good conversation starters for you? For the oldies - do you remember a time when people chatted on transport more? or in queues etc..

If you don't talk to randoms/strangers, how are you going to meet new people, some of whom might become friends of yours.

:confused:
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    No .. worse .. an Essex man :D

Yikes :o

Up here, we'll talk to anyone :D
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I talk to people I don't know if I fancy a chat, sometimes they will chat back and that's fine. If they just answer with one word answers I assume they don't want to chat so don't continue the conversation.
    I think talking to strangers depends on how sociable you are and where you live.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    No where I live you don't talk to anyone on public transport unless you know them
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a weird report really :D

But now when I think about it, I always step off the train happier if I have had a little chat with someone during the journey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a weird report really :D

But now when I think about it, I always step off the train happier if I have had a little chat with someone during the journey.
    And they get into work saying "Guess who the nutter sat next to today? Me!!"
    :D