The upcoming 40th Anniversary of man's first voyage to the moon.

RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
Forum Member
This is not a thread for ignorant moon hoax conspiracy theorists.

This December will mark FORTY YEARS since Lovell, Borman and Anders became the first humans to voyage to our nearest celestial body. What do you think should be done to celebrate this milestone?

I'd like to see a definitive multi-part HD documentary of the Apollo space program featuring ALL surviving astronauts starting with the tragedy of Apollo 1 and ending with the triumph of Apollo 17.

One would hope that as only 9 of the moonwalkers are still alive that even the ever elusive Neil Armstrong could be coaxed into helping to celebrate and commemorate the anniversary.

Do you think the media should remember this first moonshot?

Comments

• eggpuffeggpuff Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a thread for ignorant moon hoax conspiracy theorists.

you sound so butch.

is 40 years really such a milestone though - why not wait till 50 or 100? you just want a party now and can't wait till the big numbers come along.
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    Maybe at the 50th anniversary there will none of the participants around to celebrate it.
  • Ulysses31Ulysses31 Posts: 4,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To celebrate, I think somebody should release a limited edition cheese
    Forum Member
    Ulysses31 wrote: »
    To celebrate, I think somebody should release a limited edition cheese

Very good. Very good indeed.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    as long as its Wensleydale
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    The best way to celebrate would be to go back up there and have a party.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Aw, not even this moon hoax? :cry:
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Aw, not even this moon hoax? :cry:

Hmmmm, now that is pretty compelling.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best way to celebrate would be to go back up there and have a party.

Nah. No atmosphere.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst the BBC were showing the footage, Pink Floyd were playing live in the studio, pretty much making up space music as they went along.

Hard to believe such a thing would happen now.

I wonder if they still have the recordings.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1969, when we DID land on the moon, we would have thought that we would have made far greater progress in space by 2008.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    eggpuff wrote: »
    is 40 years really such a milestone though - why not wait till 50 or 100? you just want a party now and can't wait till the big numbers come along.
    Anders is in his mid 70s. The other two are in their 80s. I would be nice to have a celebration while they are still around to join in.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    its funny how human beings are obsessed by numbers...
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Ooops - deleted
  • phil_rocksphil_rocks Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    man on the moon big woop what did he ahcive we still cant liv eon the ****er
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a definitive multi-part HD documentary of the Apollo space program featuring ALL surviving astronauts starting with the tragedy of Apollo 1 and ending with the triumph of Apollo 17.

One would hope that as only 9 of the moonwalkers are still alive that even the ever elusive Neil Armstrong could be coaxed into helping to celebrate and commemorate the anniversary. Do you think the media should remember this first moonshot?
    I saw a programme a couple of weeks ago like that - no Neil Armstrong though. I suspect that we'll see lots more like that between now and the New Year, 40th anniversaries are certainly worthy of celebrating so i hope they do.
    SULLA wrote: »
    Back in 1969, when we DID land on the moon, we would have thought that we would have made far greater progress in space by 2008.
    I thought then (when YES we did land on the moon) that we'd be on Mars by now. Disappointing progress, really.
  • bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt very much that anything will be done to mark the 40 years if only because all of the Apollo missions before 11 tend to be overlooked by the majority (as proved in this thread)
    No doubt July 2009 will see some sort of celebration, especially as next year is also the international year of astronomy but as usual the exploits of Lovell, Borman and Anders will be largely overlooked
    Forum Member
    It's a shame really as the picture Anders took of Earthrise is one of the most famous photos ever.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH was there any moon landings?

With all the analysis of the photographs and film footage, some people belive that it was just big hoax.

The film Capricorn One (incidentally being shown on Tuesday BBC One at 11.35pm) could be nearer the truth than we think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    TBH was there any moon landings?

With all the analysis of the photographs and film footage, some people belive that it was just big hoax.

The film Capricorn One (incidentally being shown on Tuesday BBC One at 11.35pm) could be nearer the truth than we think.

Did you read the first line of the original post?
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moon postage stamps and coins would be nice

(I hate moon landing hoax theories, they are so goddam boring)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

For starters.

Then an announcement that someone is going back, not a PowerPoint, not a media stunt, not a political speech, but for real.

PS http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/26/ares-v-rocket-gets-an-upgrade-it-will-be-bigger-and-stronger-for-2020-moon-mission-video/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    For starters.

Then an announcement that someone is going back, not a PowerPoint, not a media stunt, not a political speech, but for real.

PS http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/26/ares-v-rocket-gets-an-upgrade-it-will-be-bigger-and-stronger-for-2020-moon-mission-video/

Hi KJ44
    Apologies for going right off topic for a moment but I noticed your location, my son is a Palace fanatic! We used to live in Croydon and my wife worked for CPFC for quite a time, in fact we had our wedding reception there many years ago. Always had a soft spot for my home town club (even though I'm a West Ham supporter)

I did hear that a return to the moon had been suggested. The Apollo missions were the reason I became interested in astronomy when I was about 11, like all small boys I was convinced I could be an astronaut "when I grew up" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member

A revisit of spaceflight for HD would be great. I wish they'd do the orginal on dvd, I used to have them on vhs but got lost when I moved some years ago.