Dispatches "secrets of poundland" Tonight 8pm

15678911»

Comments

• IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, people that don't work, possibly.
    I know of several people of various age, late twenties to early eighties, that can tell you pretty accurately where the lowest prices generally are on particular items, whether food, drinks or general merchandise.

Poundland, B&M, whatever they do, one thing they don't do, is raise the hopes of housebound people with a coloured leaflet dropped through the letter box, usually at a time when other members of the household may be working, thus unable to intercept it, filled with lots of bargain offers that are all too often unavailable by the time it hits the doormat.
    Lidl do this every week.

I wouldn't say they're being "savvy", more just doing what is necessary. I think there's a difference (although I await dictionary definitions to prove me otherwise). Generally, those people who don't work will have less income and thus have more of a need to plan their shopping accordingly. Those who do work and have more disposable income have equal opportunities to plan their shopping just as well as the unemployed, but it's not as much of a necessity and from my experience don't/won't bother learning such information.

I know a lot of people who work and who don't think that long and hard at all about their shopping habits (as I said, because they don't really need to), and who I believe might have learnt something from this documentary.
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a lot of them ( and they will be the first to say ) it passes the time as much as anything. :cool:
  • HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, people that don't work, possibly.
    I know of several people of various age, late twenties to early eighties, that can tell you pretty accurately where the lowest prices generally are on particular items, whether food, drinks or general merchandise.

Poundland, B&M, whatever they do, one thing they don't do, is raise the hopes of housebound people with a coloured leaflet dropped through the letter box, usually at a time when other members of the household may be working, thus unable to intercept it, filled with lots of bargain offers that are all too often unavailable by the time it hits the doormat.
    Lidl do this every week.

Name them.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Name them.

what a stupid thing to ask someone to do.

i would guess against the forum rules as well.:rolleyes:
  • belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best friends and I have a Christmas poundland tradition. We each write each other a set of directions (eg. enter, walk ten steps, turn left) etc for about 6 different routes each, and we have to grab and buy whatever's at eye height at the end of each little journey. We then spend a good few hours at our friends christmas celebration passing each other the gifts, trying to guess what they are, and having a good giggle at the tat that we unwrap. Last christmas I got a dog toy, some Weight Watchers cupcake mix, some flavoured lube (!!!!!), an umbrella, a bottle of Flash and an in-car charger for an iPhone!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name them.

If you can't place someone's email in a post, I highly doubt that names of your friends would be allowed.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,219
    Forum Member
    belomb wrote: »
    Last christmas I got a dog toy, some Weight Watchers cupcake mix, some flavoured lube (!!!!!), an umbrella, a bottle of Flash and an in-car charger for an iPhone!

That's better than anything I got although I've absolutely no idea what 'flavoured lube' might be? :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    That's better than anything I got although I've absolutely no idea what 'flavoured lube' might be? :)

Engine oil for your car that smells of Strawberries.........WD40 mixed with lavender oil......honest.......

Going to Poundshop later, see if they got any cupcakes this week - not going to give up!! I mean, a cupcake IN A CUP - Genius!!!

I think the documentary was actually a half hour long advert for Poundland.....sneaky aren't they:D
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member

Going to Poundshop later, see if they got any cupcakes this week - not going to give up!! I mean, a cupcake IN A CUP - Genius!!!

Ah, cupcake in a cup! I present you - ashens: (don't know if this has been posted already)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIVAzPdQMo
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Ah, cupcake in a cup! I present you - ashens: (don't know if this has been posted already)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIVAzPdQMo

Hehe:D

Well, they didn't have any again :( Probably was a run on them after Dispatches.:(

I did buy a bag for my onions and TWO slinkies which my son has combined to make a 'super slinkie' - £1 to keep him off the TV & Computer without complaint for an hour. Can't complain:D
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switched off at the start when he mentioned the question "If Poundland sells so cheap how can it make so much money?" Its rather simple really more people would buy the product if it was cheaper thus making more money than only a few buying a more expensive version of the same product at Tescos or wherever. Did they really need a 30 minute show to explain that?
  • pete parkerpete parker Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Name them.

assuming you mean the shops, not joel's friends, here goes...

food & drink - lidl, aldi, local markets
    cleaning stuff - aldi, asda
    fresh fruit & veg - aldi, local markets
    toiletries - lidl
    soft furnishings - wilkinson, ikea, asda
    furniture - ikea, argos
    diy & tools - poundshops, wilkinson
    tvs & other av equipment - richer sounds, john lewis
    phones, utilities, financial products - comparison sites
    hotels - travelodge from £10 per night
    magazine subscriptions - free with nectar points