Options

The sorry state of Sky Anytime

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    a "true' day one Sky HD viewer would still have a Thomson box and would not be getting any catchup content QUOTE]

But Sky offered deals to Thomson owners to upgrade cheaply for that reason I understood.

We were a day one Sky HD viewer in 2006 and so did have a Thomson until the PSUs went in 2009. We replaced it ourselves with a new box (a Pace) bought at full price. Just before the larger hdd boxes arrived.

Even though we had paid £300 for each of these HD boxes when the 1 tb boxes arrived and we asked if we could have one on the £49 deal to replace the Thomson, they told us it was our fault we replaced the Thomson when it broke at our own expense (!) because that negated the offer now for those whose boxes had NOT broke.

Not sure what we were supposed to do - pay Sky not to watch on a broken box until they came up with the offer a year later???

They then offered one to us for £279 and I (politely) declined.

Perils of being an early adopter, I know....but it is frustrating.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    I'm glad that Sky have listened to my whinge. Friday Night Lights is now up on On Demand in HD. :)
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I'm glad that Sky have listened to my whinge. Friday Night Lights is now up on On Demand in HD. :)

No E13 yet and E11 is missing :D

Hopefully once all relevant boxes have the new update the on demand service will be more comprehensive and accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ep1987 wrote: »
    No E13 yet and E11 is missing :D

Hopefully once all relevant boxes have the new update the on demand service will be more comprehensive and accurate.
    Yep, and I left it downloading S1 overnight, and HD version of E6 failed annoyingly.

Still, if I watch the first five and like it, I could suffer through an SD version of E6 and go back to HD for the rest. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member

I am struggling to see a connection between the roll out of the latest firmware to all boxes and the content available on demand!

A lot of the reasoning over content via on demand is clearly down to rights issues. Whether these will ever be resolved is debatable - the same reasoning as to why some programmes are only shown once and others are shown multiple times including in the middle of the night.

Is impacts more than just SKY - Channel 5 and BBC tend not to have their top US programmes available.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Yep, and I left it downloading S1 overnight, and HD version of E6 failed annoyingly.

Still, if I watch the first five and like it, I could suffer through an SD version of E6 and go back to HD for the rest. :D

If you stay with it, you'll love it!! So glad Atlantic started this from the beginning as I'd never seen it (American football put me off as I have zero interest). One of the best shows ever on TV.

Like The Walking Dead, shot on 16mm film, so it's got a quite grainy/documentary look, so one week in SD, shouldn't be too bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    If you stay with it, you'll love it!! So glad Atlantic started this from the beginning as I'd never seen it (American football put me off as I have zero interest). One of the best shows ever on TV.

Like The Walking Dead, shot on 16mm film, so it's got a quite grainy/documentary look, so one week in SD, shouldn't be too bad.
    Thanks. :)

I'd heard good things about it, so thought I'd give it a go. This on-demand is handy just to leave it download stuff overnight (especially for me as we only have an 8Mbps down connection here).

Do they update On Demand monthly? I ask because I checked on Wednesday (31st) and FNL in HD wasn't there except for the two most recent episodes, and I checked again yesterday (1st) and it was all there.

Also, S1 of Boardwalk Empire is all there in HD now, too, if anybody wants to watch it. S2 is also there in HD, bar Ep8 which is missing for some bizarre reason.
  • Options
    stormyukstormyuk Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Out of interest I have reset my Showcase content numerous times now and let it re-download over the space of a week or so and still never get anymore than 11 items in the list.

Oh well, guess thats just the way it is for newer boxes?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    stormyuk wrote: »
    Out of interest I have reset my Showcase content numerous times now and let it re-download over the space of a week or so and still never get anymore than 11 items in the list.

I have the latest 2tb box and currently have 56 items in showcase.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I have the latest 2tb box and currently have 56 items in showcase.

I think that if people subscribe to movies then they will obviously have more content than subscribers who don't. Showcase only seems to be updated every couple of days.

On a side note I notice that On Demand catch up TV is beginning to look like a bit of a joke with only sd episodes of shows that were broadcast in HD being available. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stormyuk wrote: »

I dont think it has anything to do with the box, if you dont have movie subscriptions then the content is worthless, mostly skystore and a few odd programs here and there that get deleted after a few days.

How sky can continue with this is a joke, they should either use it properly or just shut it down and give some of the space back to the customer.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sky can continue with this is a joke, they should either use it properly or just shut it down and give some of the space back to the customer.

yes we know your thoughts on the matter.
    rather than keep telling us, why you don't you tell sky.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think it has anything to do with the box, if you dont have movie subscriptions then the content is worthless, mostly skystore and a few odd programs here and there that get deleted after a few days.

You have been told countless times, how can they give you something BACK that was never yours?

They can allocate you the space, allow you to use the space, but they cannot give it BACK, please use the correct terminology, it's not like you haven't been told 20 times already.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why don't you do something productive about your whining and take your issues to Sky instead of spouting the same nonsense over and over again?

And as the above poster says, you can't have something back that was never yours in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky's thinking would be that as you've not got a Movies subscription, you might pay for the odd film.

They said at the last results' Q&A that PPV has increased with on-demand.
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the new software gets a full roll out only for on demand to become worthless. Still no Girls (broadcast on Monday) and FNL (Tuesday) only in SD. Other shows not appearing at all, could be a rights issue but who knows.

The library feature has episodes missing (FNL there are two eps absent, Mad Men S1 more missing than present) which kind of defeats the purpose of a 'box set'. Very unprofessional.

Hopefully this amateur production will be sorted soon as i can only hope that the more recent problems are linked to improvements being made to the service (Sopranos complete box set is imminent etc.).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the new software gets a full roll out only for on demand to become worthless. Still no Girls (broadcast on Monday) and FNL (Tuesday) only in SD. Other shows not appearing at all, could be a rights issue but who knows.

I think they're maybe trying out different things to see whether people are happy taking SD versions or rather wait until HD becomes available.

Some weeks, HD is there straight away on the same night, other weeks there's a delay.

I've done a couple of Sky market research surveys recently and one was about the planner advising of clashes and offering alternative showings. It was asking whether I'd be happy with SD alternatives and if not how long I would be prepared to wait for an HD showing.

This week is frustrating. Still waiting for Arrow, Friday Night Lights and Fringe. But I will hang in and not take the SD offered.

I tend to use Catch Up as part of my planning to avoid clashes, not to catch up on something I've missed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Sky's thinking would be that as you've not got a Movies subscription, you might pay for the odd film.

They said at the last results' Q&A that PPV has increased with on-demand.

Backing up my previous views that the whole service is nothing more than an a form of advertising.
    I wonder just how many of skys customers would prefer sky to give back some of that disc space for personal recordings.
    It needs to be put to proper use or if not they just should shut it down and give the customers some extra space, as it stands its just a very embarrising service and a total waste of disc space.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder just how many of skys customers would prefer sky to give back some of that disc space for personal recordings.
    It needs to be put to proper use or if not they just should shut it down and give the customers some extra space, as it stands its just a very embarrising service and a total waste of disc space.

is there an echo in here?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    thinks it's poor of sky if that's what they're doing (market research with us as the guinea pigs)

surely they can garner that info more efficiently and accurately with a questionnaire/poll???

well if someone form sky is reading this personally i'm not happy with SD versions

i will wait for HD but again i'm not happy about waiting

i pay a premium for HD and expect the programs to be available the same time as the SD versions

this weeks missing that's i've noticed so far

Arrow
    Girls
    Friday Night Lights
    Chicago Fire
    Greys Anatomy

there's probably more but they're the ones we watch in our house

also on BBC iplayer (but i guess sky have less control)

The Hour s02e01
    Have i got more news for you, Mondays episode
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backing up my previous views that the whole service is nothing more than an a form of advertising.

Again, how can they give back something that was never yours, how many times do you need telling. it was only just over 2 hours ago, surely someone as important as you couldn't forget something in that amount of time :rolleyes:
    You have been told countless times, how can they give you something BACK that was never yours?

They can allocate you the space, allow you to use the space, but they cannot give it BACK, please use the correct terminology, it's not like you haven't been told 20 times already.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Why do you keep repeating yourself saying it's nothing more than advertising when.....

From the day of release Sky have never said Anytime (Showcase) was anything other than a way of showing the months best programming, in other words, Sky are pointing out programmes to customers that they may have missed or were not aware of.

If you only used it as a way of catching up on your favourite programmes or were expecting a certain programme to be downloaded then you only have yourself to blame, there has never been a guarantee that any programmes of a personal interest would be downloaded.

As for extra recording space, can't believe you are desperate for another 500GB of disk space, unless you just record and store programmes on your 1TB box. I stack up series and have movies/sports and never watch live TV and my box is normally 80% full I have no need for the reserved space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    is there an echo in here?

Maybe your just listening to "test for echo"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Why do you keep repeating yourself saying it's nothing more than advertising when.....

From the day of release Sky have never said Anytime (Showcase) was anything other than a way of showing the months best programming, in other words, Sky are pointing out programmes to customers that they may have missed or were not aware of, yes a form of advertising.

If you only used it as a way of catching up on your favourite programmes or were expecting a certain programme to be downloaded then you only have yourself to blame, there has never been a guarantee that any programmes of a personal interest would be downloaded.

As for extra recording space, can't believe you are desperate for another 500GB of disk space, unless you just record and store programmes on your 1TB box. I stack up series and have movies/sports and never watch live TV and my box is normally 80% full I have no need for the reserved space.

I am not thinking of me, just others who dont have the luxury of a ITB box and its the principle of it anyway, its a waste of disc space and the customer should have at least some of it back. I struggle to even use 15% of my storage, thats about the most I have seen used but guess I use my box for what its meant to be used for to record and watch things, not record and store them for years.:p
    Just think how many here would be rejoycing and praising sky to the hilt if they released the disc space to the customer, their credibility here on DS would go galactic.

And anytime always was a part time addvertising tool, but now its just full time pointless. The biggest mystery is why sky contuine with it, they must realise their customers think its now a joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member

Those who subscribe more are entitled to more,so why penalise them because those who subscribe less get less!!!!