The Sims 3 Performance.

Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
Forum Member
✭✭
How many of you can play The Sims 3 perfect with no crashing or lag? My laptop which is a HP Pavilion DV6 can run the game but i can't play the game without it crashing after 30 mins to an hour.

I have NO custom content, NO stuff packs and every expansion pack apart from Supernatural.

My graphics card is a ATi Radeon HD 6490M model and
according to the internet it's a "entry level" card.

What happens when my game crashes is this: the game freezes, screen goes blank, returns to the frozen screen then crashes back to the desktop with the error message "sims 3 has stopped working"

The laptop fan also howls like a tornado when the game is running so could it be a over heating issue too?

I'm thinking of trading in this laptop and buying another laptop that can run the game fine with no crashing and no over heating.

What would you suggest?

Comments

• PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering you're on a laptop and you've spoken about the fan I'd say it's a heat issue. Ensure you place the laptop on a hard surface when playing (I use a plastic chopping board lol) and take out the battery and just plug it into the mains. That should cool it slightly. Also, may I ask the specs of your laptop? It may be that it's simply not up to the task of playing the game, especially as you've not even installed any expansions. My laptop plays the game very nicely without problems and I have all the expansions, stuff packs, and a lot of store content.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been a little while since I fired it up, but I don't remember it being noticeably unstable.
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was an overheating issue, your PC would more likely shutdown rather than just the game crash. Having said that, HP laptops are notorious for having poor cooling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    My son installed this on his PC and the lack of in game V-sync or FPS Tethering has so far destroyed 2 graphic cards.

First time it happened, I put it down to wear and tear (2 year old card). When it happened again, to a similar card, running the same game. the game was consigned to the bin.

The more powerful the card, the more damage it does!

Google 'Sims 3 overheating', it's a common problem.

Avoid if you value your PC!
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    My son installed this on his PC and the lack of in game V-sync or FPS Tethering has so far destroyed 2 graphic cards.

First time it happened, I put it down to wear and tear (2 year old card). When it happened again, to a similar card, running the same game. the game was consigned to the bin.

The more powerful the card, the more damage it does!

Google 'Sims 3 overheating', it's a common problem.

Avoid if you value your PC!
    You could have catered for the lack of V-sync yourself and saved both cards. If you're on nVidia, then the control panel for the card should have an option somewhere to cap the framerate (I don't use nVidia myself so idk where, I just know it exists). Alternatively, if you aren't using nVidia, then you can download an install MSI Afterburner which has a feature that allows you to cap the framerate program by program.

Although given that this is a big problem with the game, V-sync really should be built into the game.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I got a Pavilion G6 and it runs base game plus every expansion like a dream.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly off topic but have they deleted the old Sims 3 thread? Can't see it in the main PC game subforumn.
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    i think you need to search for it, the threads shown in each section are only ones that have been posted in during the last 30 days, the sims 3 thread went over 30 days without a post so its been archived for lack of a better word but if you search it should be there :)