Options

English/Scottish/Welsh Posters - Do You Care About N. Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southerner wrote: »
    If an unified 32 county Ireland happens, then all the above will not be overlooked as the main Irish tourist board - ireland dot com - promotes all places across Ireland, both NI and the Republic, as a single & united country.

Maybe we should do a Scotland and go for independence :D:p
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you dare! :eek::mad::p
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I go to Scotland, I always come away thinking if I was Scottish I would feel so passionately about getting rid of the last vestiges of English 'rule' if that's the right word.:D

And I've always felt the same way about N. Ireland, although I have never been there. It was shameful that we were ever there. So I am not indifferent in the sense I wish people there, on both sides and neither, to have a secure and successful future. I don't even feel 'loyal' to the queen, don't give a damn about our established church so it is a bit confusing that people who aren't even here should feel 'loyalty'. I've never really got that (despite knowing a little history).
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member

it was actually considered at one stage but it will never happen, having a connection to britain is a major part of unionist/ulster-scot identity. i have joked in the past about all of ireland creating a kingdom with scotland, it would keep all sides happy
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was actually considered at one stage but it will never happen, having a connection to britain is a major part of unionist/ulster-scot identity. i have joked in the past about all of ireland creating a kingdom with scotland, it would keep all sides happy
    I'm at a loss to know why it would keep most Scots happy. Leave us out of the mess on the island of Ireland, please! :D

Fortunately, though, it will never happen.
  • Options
    ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I'm at a loss to know why it would keep most Scots happy. Leave us out of the mess on the island of Ireland, please! :D

Fortunately, though, it will never happen.

would keep both northern ireland sides happy i meant, it could be called the Dal Riata for old times sake
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    People in Scotland love NI and I have yet to meet someone from NI who was not lovely and great to drink with.

:confused:

News to me!
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karijn wrote: »
    :confused:

News to me!

Well the Scottish Glasgow Rangers and Celtic fans certainly seem to... nothing like having sectarianism in common as a common bond!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    As an Englishman, NI is as important to me as Scotland and Wales, and I want all of them to remain in the UK.

I'd also be happy if Ireland wanted to rejoin the UK (but of course, that ain't gonna happen).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    As an Englishman, NI is as important to me as Scotland and Wales, and I want all of them to remain in the UK.

I'd also be happy if Ireland wanted to rejoin the UK (but of course, that ain't gonna happen).

Interesting....I assume you mean the Republic of Ireland. Why would you be happy for that?

Especially considering ROIs economic problems and debt... Do you think it would be in the UKs interests for the Republic to become part of the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Interesting....I assume you mean the Republic of Ireland. Why would you be happy for that?

Especially considering ROIs economic problems and debt... Do you think it would be in the UKs interests for the Republic to become part of the UK?

If the 'price' was right, yes. But that's just one among several reasons why it won't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the 'price' was right, yes. But that's one among several reasons why it won't happen.

So what you really mean is, at this moment in time, you really wouldn't want the south to rejoin the UK...?
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do :)

Edit: I was answering the question in the title, not the poster above me :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what you really mean is, at this moment in time, you really wouldn't want the south to rejoin the UK...?

No that's not what I mean. Because the UK economy is in a better state than the Irish Republic, there would be a price for them to pay for re-joining but if they were willing to pay that price (and suffer economically) I'd be OK with it.

But they won't be happy to pay the price (among other reasons, such as historical baggage!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that's not what I mean. Because the UK economy is in a better state than the Irish, there would be a price for them to pay for re-joining but if they were willing to pay that price (and suffer economically) I'd be OK with it.

But they won't be happy to pay the price (among other things!).

Exactly what I was saying, the south couldn't afford to pay the price, whether they wanted to or not, so therefore you're against the idea right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly what I was saying, the south couldn't afford to pay the price, whether they wanted to or not, so therefore you're against the idea right now.

No I'm not against it, but I assume that they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I'm not against it, but I assume that they are.

Well, yeah, that goes without saying.

But I'm just curious as to why any British person would be happy to see the economically screwed ROI back in the UK... it's not like we have a lot to offer
  • Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Southerner wrote: »
    NI is an artificial entity which should never exist, it brings nothing but trouble & strife. Ireland should be a 32 county country like it always was before 1921.

Here's to an independent Scotland, united Ireland then England & Wales probably will have a short-lived union, like Serbia & Montenegro, before splitting creating separate independent English and Welsh states.

The UK itself is also artificial, like NI, which the real states are called England, Scotland & Wales. I do not like the Union and "Britishness" all that cr*p, you get immigrants calling themselves British and people arguing "I am British" or "No, no, I am not British" also foreigners confusing England with UK etc.

With only independent states of E, S & W - this will stop all the arguments and confusion. We will all be either English, Scottish or Welsh. Also England will get its identity back. That's it, no faffing about!
    If you think independence will stop people referring to anywhere in the uk as England, then your in for a surprise.

As for immigrants, here's news, we're all immigrants if you go back far enough (probably not as far as you'd think)

I visited Northern Ireland this year and it's one of the most beautiful and interesting areas of the uk, it would be a massive shame, especially given this history as part of the union. I can't believe people tar Scottish independence with Northern Irish joining rep of Ireland. Completely different circumstances.