It's A Wonderful Life getting a sequel in 2015?

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
It's A Wonderful Life getting a sequel in 2015? That has got to be the stupidest idea ever! Leave it alone, still a classic original film!

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/its-a-wonderful-life-sequel-in-the-works-exclusive-1200850705/

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Goaty wrote: »
    It's A Wonderful Life getting a sequel in 2015? That has got to be the stupidest idea ever! Leave it alone, still a classic original film!

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/its-a-wonderful-life-sequel-in-the-works-exclusive-1200850705/
    From what you've posted they're not touching the original
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, OP.

This movie does not need a sequel, prequel or remake.

It should be left well alone.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Maybe he'll jump this time.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

YUK !!!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    This reminds me how much i HATE It's A Wonderful Life and how overrated i think it is. Make this sequel. Whatever taints this film is fine by me.
  • lionelmortonlionelmorton Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollywood seems a bit more savvy these days so surely someone will stop this at some point.
    A sequel is nonsense .
    I can understand a remake though even though I never watch them and never will.
    My original Bluray editions of The Bishops Wife and Miracle on 34th Street remain my annual friends over modern remakes.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fine, make a film showing someone how much better off the world would have been had they never been born, but there is no need to link it too 'It's a Wonderful Life' and taint it.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in time for the afternoon Christmas movie slot on Channel Five next year.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    This reminds me how much i HATE It's A Wonderful Life and how overrated i think it is. Make this sequel. Whatever taints this film is fine by me.

when it first came out it was hated by the critics and bombed at the box office
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    YUK !!!

Agreed, the original film is a classic.
    Anyway I dont understand this, how can this new film be in the spirit of the original if the George in the sequel is an unlikeable asshat more akin to Henry Potter/Scrooge? It sounds more like the exact opposite, almost a spoof, as the angel is showing him the world would be better WITHOUT him not the other way round :confused:
    In fact, it sounds like they're retelling A Christmas Carol in some ways (even more so than the original) but with George as Scrooge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gort wrote: »
    Maybe he'll jump this time.

Wheres your spoiler alert? :-)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

Some people mistake the film for life-affirming, sentimental twaddle but it's actually got quite a dark heart. George Bailey effectively sacrifices his dreams and ambitions for the greater good. James Stewart had recently returned from the war (where he had been a decorated bomber pilot) and had been quite sobered by the experience, which informed the role.

I think it's a great film and one of James Stewart's best.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Dombo wrote: »
    Wheres your spoiler alert? :-)

Oh no, maybe I'll have to jump, too.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Some people mistake the film for life-affirming, sentimental twaddle but it's actually got quite a dark heart. George Bailey effectively sacrifices his dreams and ambitions for the greater good. James Stewart had recently returned from the war (where he had been a decorated bomber pilot) and had been quite sobered by the experience, which informed the role.

I know what you mean, its probably only in the last 10 minutes the film gets sentimental, most of the last act is pretty dark and disturbing IMO :(
    I've always wondered why nobody else was as selfless as him, maybe thats the point the film is making.
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member

Agreed, saw this film at a local independent cinema yesterday, I loved it, specifically for the reasons you just outlined. Pius James Steward is just fantastic generally.
    Forum Member
    Agreed, saw this film at a local independent cinema yesterday, I loved it, specifically for the reasons you just outlined. Pius James Steward is just fantastic generally.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I completely agree with you about James Stewart. There's something timeless about him. They used to describe Jack Lemmon as Everyman in Hollywood films. I always feel that James Stewart is Everyman But A Bit Better. He never plays an invincible hero; he's always a bit flawed but his heart's in the right place. I liked him in The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance.

We're going to see It's a Wonderful Life as a family on Monday and I'm looking forward to it.:)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will I be stabbed to death if I pointed out It's a Wonderful Life is an adaptation, not an original?

If yes, please hold off until 2 January, OK? Thanks.
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Will I be stabbed to death if I pointed out It's a Wonderful Life is an adaptation, not an original?

If yes, please hold off until 2 January, OK? Thanks.

Oh I see what you did there...;-)
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I completely agree with you about James Stewart. There's something timeless about him. They used to describe Jack Lemmon as Everyman in Hollywood films. I always feel that James Stewart is Everyman But A Bit Better. He never plays an invincible hero; he's always a bit flawed but his heart's in the right place. I liked him in The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance.

We're going to see It's a Wonderful Life as a family on Monday and I'm looking forward to it.:)

Well, just seen it and it was great. It's a film that holds up surprisingly well, given it was made in 1946. I'd forgotten just how long it is but it never seems to drag. James Stewart owns the film, of course but Donna Reed is excellent too. Lionel Barrymore as Potter is also good.

I was struck again by its progressive economics. George Bailey defends the Savings & Loan company because it champions the man in the street and offers him a better quality of life. If the pure capitalist Potters of the world are allowed to dominate to the exclusion of all else, the poor get poorer. Given the dominance of the individual in American culture, it's quite surprising.

It's also a timeless message about how life is always worth living, no matter how bleak things look; how we belong to each other and how we touch each others' lives.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great post Sir. I watched this today for the 1st time, brilliant movie. As the old saying goes " they don't make em' like they used to ". Way ahead of its time, that's down to Capra & Stewart, in my opinion. :-)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm never surprised at re-makes or sequels.

I mean, "Wild Geese 2" I ask you.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    They already have.

'It's a Bundyful life', a Married with Children episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNTjURamti4

:)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they would've called the sequel It's Still a Wonderful Life!