The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the pilot episode tonight, excellent show. Really like it. Totally drew me in from the start. I think i'm going to like this.

Philip and Elizabeth Jennings rock!
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was an OK series. The pilot was great but got disappointing after that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    I thought it was an OK series. The pilot was great but got disappointing after that.

I had issues with the Pilot, the constant use of Tusk gave it a woozy dream like quality that didn't really work for me. It got better later on for me...
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had issues with the Pilot, the constant use of Tusk gave it a woozy dream like quality that didn't really work for me. It got better later on for me...

It was the use of Tusk that really made it for me. ;-)
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Could the re-run starting tomorrow herald the start of series 2?
    Hope so!

Series 2 starts in the US on February 26, 2014 and will have 13 episodes, so hopefully we get it soon after that.

Can't wait. Love this series!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a powerful scene! :cry: Those last few minutes...
    when Gregory goes out to be shot
    ...are so moving and the blues track is just perfect for the scene.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,871
    Forum Member
    varsas wrote: »

Great news and thank you very much for posting, varsas.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    varsas wrote: »

Wow, I’m amazed ITV have given it another primetime Saturday night slot in their schedule. The ratings for season one were quite bad, I was sure it would be kicked to a 10:30pm weeknight slot.
    But I enjoyed it so I’m looking forward to season two.
    :)
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brill! It's the only program my fella and I watch together! He says I like "American s##t" and he likes all the English soaps and gamshows. Although he will tolerate Blue Bloods too
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Simon_More wrote: »
    Brill! It's the only program my fella and I watch together! He says I like "American s##t" and he likes all the English soaps and gamshows. Although he will tolerate Blue Bloods too

Ugh. Somebody who likes "English soaps and game shows" has no business calling anything from America "s--t." He doesn't deserve you.:)
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone remind me what happened at the end of series 1? Thanks
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to remind you all that the new series starts tonight on ITV at 9.20 - I've set my recorder as I haven't quite finished watching the repeats of Season 1.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So pleased this is back tonight - Saturday night TV has been really boring recently so it's nice to have something to watch!
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,871
    Forum Member
    miaviv wrote: »
    Can someone remind me what happened at the end of series 1? Thanks

I always have to check this out when there's been a long break between series, especially as I seem to follow so many different series and it's a lot to remember! I find these episode guides helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colonel_%28The_Americans%29
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    Just to remind you all that the new series starts tonight on ITV at 9.20 - I've set my recorder as I haven't quite finished watching the repeats of Season 1.

Me too. According to the Wikipedia episode guide, there's still one episode to go on friday nights, The Colonel, which a bit stupid scheduling. Just checked my EPG and there's no sign of it next friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. According to the Wikipedia episode guide, there's still one episode to go on friday nights, The Colonel, which a bit stupid scheduling. Just checked my EPG and there's no sign of it next friday.
    The last two episodes of series 1 were shown last night (Friday).

Great to see it back and it's as good as ever!
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when was Rod Stewart American?!
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Since when was Rod Stewart American?!

Rod Stewart was very popular in American at that time. I think that is all he meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of Paige poking around in the basement uncovering spy paraphernalia.
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Rod Stewart was very popular in American at that time. I think that is all he meant.

I thought him saying that proved what an idiot he really was!

Loving that the series is back on. I saw the last episode of series 1 on Friday and it helped remind me what had gone on before.

Wonder who killed the people in the hotel room (saying no more because of poss spoilers).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always amazed how well Phillip and Elizabeth manage to combine being 'normal' parents with running a travel agency and carrying out their KGB missions. It's clearly going to be harder for them now Paige is becoming curious.

In Phillip's case he also has to be a part-time husband to Martha. I wonder how he explains his frequent nights away from home to the kids? And Martha is eventually going to notice that he wears a rather unconvincing wig!

Where do P&E put on their disguises when they go out on a mission? Have we ever seen that? They obviously can't do it at home. They must have a lock-up somewhere with a collection of comedy disguises.

I love that the writers still have the ability to shock us. I didn't expect the scene in the hotel room at all. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvfanny wrote: »
    I thought him saying that proved what an idiot he really was!

Loving that the series is back on. I saw the last episode of series 1 on Friday and it helped remind me what had gone on before.

Wonder who killed the people in the hotel room (saying no more because of poss spoilers).

I don't know, but Phillip will have the finger pointed at him surely.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to have this programme back, but once again the ratings were awful on ITV. I don’t know why they scheduled it in primetime on Saturday nights again this season after it performed badly last year... its like their contractually obliged to or something (I know they were contractually obliged for buy the second season, but I doubt there was stipulation on when it should air).
    This weeks premier got just over 1 million viewers on ITV, while Casualty got just over 5 million at the same time on BBC1. It wouldn’t surprise me if ITV drop the programme after this season due to low ratings, where as I’m sure it would have performed better in a later slot (with lower ratings expectations).

Someone at ITV must have a lot of faith in this being a break out hit for them at some point, there’s no sign of it happening though.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't get round to watching the last few of the first series - ended up deleting them. But recorded the first of the new series.

Is it worth continuing - these American ones plod on forever.