Options

Good service in shops

PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would a staff member get any reward if I wrote to their store's head office, with praise for the person's helpful service?

Or is it not worth bothering?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It depends if they have Employee Of The Month or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Even if they have no reward system, I'll bet they'd be glad of some good feedback and some praise. Might even make them look good in front of the boss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, folks. :)
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww :)

I go a little bit farther to an offy that the staff are all friendly inm instead of the closer spar shop. Weird how just saying 'ello' and stuff makes such a difference.
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely write - I bet head office get mostly complaints, so a letter of praise would be welcome. And the person being praised would be so chuffed too.:)
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would a staff member get any reward if I wrote to their store's head office, with praise for the person's helpful service?

I think thats a really nice thing to do!

People are quick to moan about staff but very rarely go out of their way to write and praise someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Aww :)

I go a little bit farther to an offy that the staff are all friendly inm instead of the closer spar shop. Weird how just saying 'ello' and stuff makes such a difference.
    Yeah, she is very polite, and she also packs my shopping for me, Most of them just fling a bag at me and expect me to pack it myself, which is not easy for me to open because my fingers shake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)
  • Options
    cartreecartree Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, why not. I have done before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Yeah, she is very polite, and she also packs my shopping for me, Most of them just fling a bag at me and expect me to pack it myself, which is not easy for me to open because my fingers shake.

Definitely write to their head office, but you could also write to her shop manager too. She may get some kind of commendation, or maybe just a letter of praise from her head office. Either way it'll make her feel good and make her feel that her job is worthwhile.
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Sainsburys staff get "Shining Stars" from the store manager which are basically £10 vouchers to spend in store. Might be better to tell the store manager though as it might take a while to filter down from Head Office.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it would be a nice gesture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've sent an e-mail now. :) Will let you know if I get a reply.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I sent an email to John Lewis asking them to thank a member of their staff for me. They replied as did the lady who was helpful. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent an email to John Lewis asking them to thank a member of their staff for me. They replied as did the lady who was helpful. :)
    Good stuff. :) I had an automated reply straightaway, so at least I know I got the address right. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Had a few tips myself, like the fiver I got for handing in a mobile phone AND wallet which some guy left on a pallet:eek::eek::eek::eek: and the other morning some bloke gave me a quid for no reason.:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a reply, saying my comments have been passed on to the store in question. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if youre going to do anything like this id always send it to the companies head office rather than to the instore manager because he or she will know how good (or bad) their staff are but i would say it goes a lot further to go straight to head office, this looks much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Depends on management - from experience I've found if a customer writes in praising service from specific staff, it will get a brief mention and the letter might get pinned up somewhere where hardly anyone will see it.
    If a customer writes in complaining about the service of staff, however, you can bet that member of staff will immediately be summoned 'upstairs' for a grilling. (Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that - but it'd be nice if customer praise sparked anything like as an enthusiastic response from management).

Do write in anyway because I'm sure the relevant staff will appreciate it. Everyone enjoys recognition.
  • Options
    lisa02lisa02 Posts: 1,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if most stores do but I know that M&S do. We have wrote to stores before when we have received excellent service. We've also wrote in when we've received appaling service.

Once in Game a member of staff called my daughter an idiot. Needless to say they got a very strong worded email and we got a gift voucher in return.... We also avoided their shop for more than a year and they lost out on several hundreds of pounds of custom which went to HMV.

The same Game store offered a better trade in on a console so we ventured back in, the member of staff was extrememly helpful, knowledgeable and friendly to us so got a very high praised email from us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

I hope the staff member has received a little something by now. :)
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think you should go ahead and contact head office, im sure it will be appreciated
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    best service i ever had was Argos. bought something i forget even what it was but i was served by a manager at the till and he went back and got the product as well. was in and out of the shop in 5 minutes flat. I was very impressed and it takes a lot to impress me i can tell you! i'm a self confessed customer from hell