Options

Gazza: Buying and drinking a bottle of gin in a newsagents

Comments

• Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I should imagine that if he was locked in a room and not allowed alcohol that this plan of action would not work as he would need to wean himself off of it.

It's ok his pals giving him money for rehab but he needs support on a personal level, where's his mate that one who allegedly got him drinking excessively in the first place, nine bellies or something, why doesn't he help?

Of course they will all be there crying at his funeral :rolleyes:

You can't blame his alcohol problem on someone else. It was years ago and as far as I know, Jimmy five bellies is now a reformed character. My son has problems with alcohol. At the moment he isn't drinking (thank god) but if he does start again, it isn't the fault of his friends and family.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't blame his alcohol problem on someone else. It was years ago and as far as I know, Jimmy five bellies is now a reformed character. My son has problems with alcohol. At the moment he isn't drinking (thank god) but if he does start again, it isn't the fault of his friends and family.

I didn't say I blamed him, I said it was alleged that he had got Gazza on the road to alcoholism, it was not me that alleged it, so therefore I did not say I blamed him ;)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    All these celebrities paid for him to go to rehab and yet this is what he does. He's a selfish prat who doesn't deserve people forking out money to help him. He even admitted that he couldn't say that he'd stay away from the drink. I sometimes wonder if he actually wants to be free of it.

It might seem like that but unfortunately an addict is a slave to the addiction and has no control over their actions or thoughts. At least IMO and I am also of the opinion that alcohol addiction is a disease and people are to be pitied not vilified. We don't know how or why some manage to beat it while others just can't manage it
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

I was very shocked looking at this, how sad :(
    twingle wrote: »
    It might seem like that but unfortunately an addict is a slave to the addiction and has no control over their actions or thoughts. At least IMO and I am also of the opinion that alcohol addiction is a disease and people are to be pitied not vilified. We don't know how or why some manage to beat it while others just can't manage it

I completely agree, imho alcoholism is an illness.

It is strange how some people manage to beat it while others like Gazza appear to want to but yet keep failing, I do believe he has mental health issues which need to be addressed before he can tackle his addiction to alcohol.

These quick fixes in expensive rehab centres are clearly not the answer.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I completely agree, imho alcoholism is an illness.

It is strange how some people manage to beat it while others like Gazza appear to want to but yet keep failing, I do believe he has mental health issues which need to be addressed before he can tackle his addiction to alcohol.

These quick fixes in expensive rehab centres are clearly not the answer.

I hear that rehab can only ever really work if the patient has the real drive, motivation and will power to change. Even if he wants to help himself, having the required amount of drive and will power could be hard going. I'm not an alcoholic but I get pretty low at times and find its easier to have a bad day than try and act and 'get out there' sometimes, yet its not that I don't want things to get better.

You can't make someone believe in themselves and want to get help, they have to find it in themselves and push themselves, no matter how much anyone else wants it for them, thats the sad thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I hear that rehab can only ever really work if the patient has the real drive, motivation and will power to change. Even if he wants to help himself, having the required amount of drive and will power could be hard going. I'm not an alcoholic but I get pretty low at times and find its easier to have a bad day than try and act and 'get out there' sometimes, yet its not that I don't want things to get better.

You can't make someone believe in themselves and want to get help, they have to find it in themselves and push themselves, no matter how much anyone else wants it for them, thats the sad thing.

I totally get where you're coming from, especially bib.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And he didn't have to die. I guess it was his choice in a way, to keep picking up that drink. :(
  • Options
    curlybaggiecurlybaggie Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »
    I should imagine that if he was locked in a room and not allowed alcohol that this plan of action would not work as he would need to wean himself off of it.

It's ok his pals giving him money for rehab but he needs support on a personal level, where's his mate that one who allegedly got him drinking excessively in the first place, nine bellies or something, why doesn't he help?

Of course they will all be there crying at his funeral :rolleyes:

There has been no sight or sound of Five Bellies since Pauls money ran out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for both him and the people who have to put up with him. Nobody's a winner in that scenario :(

Agreed.

It seems like Gazza is just one of those people who are their own worst enemy, similar to the late George Best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I think the saddest thing about watching his demise is that every time he falls off the wagon, we then see him two weeks later appearing on TV shows saying how is better now and that was a close call. He should not be asked onto shows to be paraded like a wounded animal.....he is not well and it takes a long time for chronic alcoholics to recover from drinking bouts. The media should hang their heads in shame and leave him to get himself well, even if its him who pushes for publicity. It's like putting someone with mental health problems on the tv as if its a freak show for us to stare at him. And before I get shouted down about him helping others by talking about it, I believe there are special group meetings for that kind of thing, and he should save the public sermons until he can say he has been sober a good few years. I really feel for the bloke.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    At least he hasn't wasted someone else's liver transplant, like that other footballer pi**head Best.

Yet!:rolleyes:

It just gets me that all these wealthy celebrities forked out all that money, only for him to then go into a newsagents and buy something that could seriously damage his health.
  • Options
    HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I find this guy abhorrent. Not only is he laughing in the face of anyone who has tried to help him he's continually mocked the NHS, his family and the experts who have tried to help him. Millions have been raised for him to get help and when you hear of some families who can't even afford that to give their kids life saving treatment it's very difficult to have any sympathy.

Everyone should stop intervening if that's what he wants so much
  • Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    It just gets me that all these wealthy celebrities forked out all that money, only for him to then go into a newsagents and buy something that could seriously damage his health.

Yep, I wonder if any of them will speak out, I would feel royally let down and p'd off if I was them. I think he owed it to them to at least give rehab more of a go than the paltry 5 weeks:mad:

Oh and I don't mean punish someone for falling off the wagon as that is par for the course but it was like he didn't really try.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess you could compare him to an anorexic that refuses any food because it'll make them fat. It's a psychological illness and he almost actually can't help himself at this stage. He'll be dead in 6 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you could compare him to an anorexic that refuses any food because it'll make them fat. It's a psychological illness and he almost actually can't help himself at this stage. He'll be dead in 6 months.

An anorexic refuses food, but he went to get help but didn't last very long. The desire to be free of it mustn't be strong enough for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Yep, I wonder if any of them will speak out, I would feel royally let down and p'd off if I was them. I think he owed it to them to at least give rehab more of a go than the paltry 5 weeks:mad:

Oh and I don't mean punish someone for falling off the wagon as that is par for the course but it was like he didn't really try.

I can't see these wealthy celebrities forking out thousands for him again. He's on his own now.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An anorexic refuses food, but he went to get help but didn't last very long. The desire to be free of it mustn't be strong enough for him.

Yes, that's it, in a nutshell. He's not making a choice here, he actually at this stage has no control over his dependancy. It doesn't matter that he very probably knows the likely outcome - ie. a horribly painful death - it's just that for him the fear of living without booze is far greater than the urge to get clean.

It's not easy to sympathise with chronic addicts but they nevertheless deserve pity because it's a miserable and bleak existence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see these wealthy celebrities forking out thousands for him again. He's on his own now.

The only chance he has now is if he hits the gutter and has to haul himself out - as you say on his own. Kind and well meaning as it is, paying for him to go into an exclusive rehab facility is in a way enabling him. He is not using his own money and I doubt whether he is down to his last £, therefore he can still buy drink. Like Jimmy Grieves he needs to experience an NHS psychiatric hospital and the reality of his situation, not a cushy rehab place. He needs to be left alone to deal with this all on his own, he will either sink or swim, nobody else can help him.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    He doesn't have the will to help himself. Probably too far gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find this guy abhorrent. Not only is he laughing in the face of anyone who has tried to help him he's continually mocked the NHS, his family and the experts who have tried to help him. Millions have been raised for him to get help and when you hear of some families who can't even afford that to give their kids life saving treatment it's very difficult to have any sympathy.

Everyone should stop intervening if that's what he wants so much

I have to disagree, I don't believe for a minute he's laughing in the faces of those who tried to help him, I think he was extremely grateful for the support shown to him & really wanted to show his gratitude by staying off the booze, unfortunately the pull of alcohol is proving too much for him & I think deep down, he knows this.

Also I don't think it's a case of "if that's what he wants so much" I truly believe he'd cut off his right leg if he could be cured of what I think is an illness.

Sadly I think the booze has won.
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to feel sympathy for him, on his course of self-destruction, and if I were one of the friends who'd forked out a fortune for rehab, I'd be feeling very let-down, but maybe the five weeks he spent in there wasn't enough to get to the root of the demons driving him.

My friend went into rehab for alcohol addiction, and she was in a residential place for six months, and then a spell in a halfway house before she was deemed able to get back into the real world. Even then, she had a local group for if she needed some moral support and goes back to the clinic from time to time.

She's been dry now for just over six years (it probably helps that her lowlife husband has left her and leeched onto some other poor woman), but the point is, it took an awful long time to untangle the reasons behind her drinking, she really had to want to stop, and she has had to put in a huge amount of effort, supported by friends and family.

I really hope Paul Gascoigne can find it within himself to really want to get himself sorted, but it looks increasingly unlikely, sadly.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The shopkeeper should not have sold the gin to a well known alcoholic and drug offender.

But then he wouldn't have had a story to sell! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't have the will to help himself. Probably too far gone.

You are probably right. As someone with an alcoholic in my close family, we were told by a support group to leave him totally on his own. Certainly never give him money, even food so that he has to face up to reality. An alcoholic who gets to the stage Gazza is at, doesn't care an iota about anyone but himself, full of self pity, often aggressive. Meanwhile he is affecting everyone with his behaviour and a time comes when you have to shut the door and tell him to get on with it. If he dies, he did it all by himself.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member

I think it almost a certainty that Gazza will kill himself but he might last longer than you think. I knew an Alcoholic once who lost her family, Home, kids, Job and Parents through her drinking and ended up living alone in a so called 'House' which consisted of a Mattress in the middle of the room, covered in her Urine and Shite. She had no Carpet, Heating, Curtains or anything. The lady never ate and was as thin as a rake, she was admitted to Hospital on several occasions but would always return to drinking, the lady was a severe Alcoholic for many years but the last 3 or 4 years were especially bad. The lady eventually died when she fell down the stairs drunk, due to her losing most of her nerve endings through her drinking. The Human body can take a lot of abuse from Alcohol, although every Alcoholic's luck run's out eventually. Gazza is probably nearing the end game but it can go on longer than most people think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Polomini wrote: »
    It's hard to feel sympathy for him, on his course of self-destruction, and if I were one of the friends who'd forked out a fortune for rehab, I'd be feeling very let-down, but maybe the five weeks he spent in there wasn't enough to get to the root of the demons driving him.

My friend went into rehab for alcohol addiction, and she was in a residential place for six months, and then a spell in a halfway house before she was deemed able to get back into the real world. Even then, she had a local group for if she needed some moral support and goes back to the clinic from time to time.

She's been dry now for just over six years (it probably helps that her lowlife husband has left her and leeched onto some other poor woman), but the point is, it took an awful long time to untangle the reasons behind her drinking, she really had to want to stop, and she has had to put in a huge amount of effort, supported by friends and family.

I really hope Paul Gascoigne can find it within himself to really want to get himself sorted, but it looks increasingly unlikely, sadly.

5 weeks was nowhere near long enough to treat him, as I've said previously, it may have been long enough to deal with the physical withdrawals from alcohol but he needs long term help to treat the underlying issues that have resulted in the state the poor bloke is in now.