Tipping

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had always thought 10% was the norm for waiters, taxi drivers, hairdressers etc

Realised why the beauticians at the Spa I go to are always pleased to see me. I always give 10% of the charge in cash to them as a tip as they are lovely and do a great job. Turns out hardly anyone ever tips them (know them well so I'm not being spun a line) and on average they make £10 a week on tips. This is a Spa in a 4* hotel so I was frankly shocked.

Have I missed something here ..... do people not tip much these days?

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tip unless someone has done something really exceptional as part of their duties. It's not like the US where they do literally rely on their tips to top up to minimum wage. There's just no need for it during normal transactions in this country.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    I had always thought 10% was the norm for waiters, taxi drivers, hairdressers etc

Realised why the beauticians at the Spa I go to are always pleased to see me. I always give 10% of the charge in cash to them as a tip as they are lovely and do a great job. Turns out hardly anyone ever tips them (know them well so I'm not being spun a line) and on average they make £10 a week on tips. This is a Spa in a 4* hotel so I was frankly shocked.

I do the same but judging by the reactions from the staff most people tip less. Like you I am happy to tip for an excellent service.

Perhaps the economic crisis has reduced people´s willingness to, or ability to, tip generously?
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galileo, Galileo,......Beelzebub......Fandango fandango, lets do the Fandango......
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make late night deliveries for people - it's a premium service and occasionally get tips.

One of my wealthy customers tips me £10 every time (that really is a lot comparatively :o), and another virtually always gives me £2.

As a broadly general rule though, I'd say it's the lower-middle-class that tip the most. The ones that have the most money are usually the tightest.

One wealthy individual once tipped me 50p, made up of 10p's, 5ps and even a bit of shrapnel. Almost told him not to bother.

It's of course a nice extra though, and never expected, and nor should it be. This isn't the United States of America, where everything excludes taxes and 'obligatory tips'.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see this one going on for some time.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I never tip anybody anything, unless they have gone over and above what is expected in their job, in serving me.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Galileo, Galileo,......Beelzebub......Fandango fandango, lets do the Fandango......

A useful addition to the conversation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only people i tend to tip are delivery drivers(fast food) or taxis

and when i say tip i mean i let them keep change , which usually isnt much tbh
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I used to work in restaurants and the British do not tip, and on the rare occasion they do leave a tip, it is a measley amount so they might as well not bother tipping at all.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Even Solicitors and QC's are not above expecting tips. Years ago I was involved in a court case that led to a satisfactory outcome costing me about £3000 in legal fees
    (equal to over 2 years average mans wages) that went to my solicitor who then
    suggested - 'I think presents are called for !
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I never tip anybody anything, unless they have gone over and above what is expected in their job, in serving me.

Why tip for exceptional service when you've already paid for it:confused:

The only reason I tip is to make myself look like a big shot. I make a gun shot with my fingers, I given em a wink, I click my tongue and say "keep the change, buddy":cool:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Even Solicitors and QC's are not above expecting tips. Years ago I was involved in a court case that led to a satisfactory outcome costing me about £3000 in legal fees
    (equal to over 2 years average mans wages) that went to my solicitor who then
    suggested - 'I think presents are called for !

I hope you said "Here's your tip. Dark Star, 3:30, Kempton Park" then walked out.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I used to work in restaurants and the British do not tip, and on the rare occasion they do leave a tip, it is a measley amount so they might as well not bother tipping at all.

Most people I know always tip for good service in a restaurant. Maybe your attitude was the reason for your lack of tips.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tip anyone who gives me a good service and I consider them to likely be on or close to minimum wage.

Tipping tells you a hell of a lot about a person's character.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tipping tells you a hell of a lot about a person's character.

No, it really doesn't.
    Forum Member
    Most people I know always tip for good service in a restaurant. Maybe your attitude was the reason for your lack of tips.

I wasn't eligible for tips, as I was the maître d', however my colleagues would often fume because the Brits were notoriously cheap. I doubt I would be the face greeting everyone if I had a bad attitude either. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we go out as a group of friends we usually leave a tip because we're quite a big group (between 10-15 depending on who can make it) and obviously take up a lot of time so we tip then. If I'm just out with my mum it depends on the service we recieve.

I always tip my hairdressers because they are really lovely and friendly in there I tend to round it up to the next £5 and tell them to keep it; my last haitcut was £36 so I gave them £40 and told them to keep the change. I don't tip delivery people as all they do is hand you your bag/box and go away.

It isn't like America' everyone gets a minimum wage so I don't feel bad for not tipping.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't eligible for tips, as I was the maître d', however my colleagues would often fume because the Brits were notoriously cheap. I doubt I would be the face greeting everyone if I had a bad attitude either. :D

OK :)

It's likely then that you have different expectations with regards to tipping (in the same way as you see in America). In some countries it is expected as the norm, whilst in the UK many people see it as a reward for service that is above what they expected.

On a side note, did your staff pool and share tips equally or keep their own? I've had this conversation before and a lot seem to share, so that staff who don't normally have the opportunity to receive a tip get a share. They say that they contribute to the good reputation of the business.
    Forum Member
    OK :)

It's likely then that you have different expectations with regards to tipping (in the same way as you see in America). In some countries it is expected as the norm, whilst in the UK many people see it as a reward for service that is above what they expected.

On a side note, did your staff pool and share tips equally or keep their own? I've had this conversation before and a lot seem to share, so that staff who don't normally have the opportunity to receive a tip get a share. They say that they contribute to the good reputation of the business.

I just think it is nice to tip. People fetching and carrying for me deserve a little something extra. I do think if people are rewarded they will be more likely to go above and beyond what is required of them. A nice meal can sometimes be spoiled if you have a bad waiter, and equally if it's an average meal but the service is great, it kind of evens out.

My staff weren't obliged to share, but often did because everyone pulled their own weight. As I was on a bit more pay, I didn't get a share of the tips but I was also management. I am glad to be out of that industry now, it is a lot of hard work for the pay you receive.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Excuse me for having little sympathy for those complaining about the lack of tips for carrying a plate or two to a table. Some of us are involved in work where our customers take for granted we shall lug heavy goods that can weigh up to 3000 lbs total weight up a flight or two of stairs, with not the slightest chance of a tip on completion. Not that it would be expected anyway.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I tip my hairdresser, but it's such a habit now I'd feel uncomfortable if I stopped, although I do sometimes ask myself why. No-one tips me.

As another poster said, if we go out as a group and all chuck in a round figure for our meal we just hand it to the waiter with the bill and leave. We wouldn't dream of waiting for change. I don't use taxis.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    I just think it is nice to tip. People fetching and carrying for me deserve a little something extra.
    Why should they though? They're just doing the job they're supposed to be doing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Yeah, 10%.
    If DS is a reasonable cross-section of the British public, then it seems not.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tip my hairdresser, the lady who does my nails, cab drivers, waiters/waitresses.
    At Christmas time, the bin men and window cleaner.
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Why should they though? They're just doing the job they're supposed to be doing!

Why so irate? It's just the way I feel. :p