The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I wonder if Channel 5 will decide to start producing its own UK drama if the acquisitions are just as expensive and they have more financial support.

Well in Australia Wentworth airs on a cable channel so I would assume the rights are next to nothing. I doubt they pay as much for Wentworth as they did Dallas.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that they had ruled that out or am I thinking of something else?
    At the TV Festival controller Ben Frow said he wasn't looking for more drama at the moment and that they were looking instead at comedy.

But since then Viacom's CEO has given interviews whereby he has suggested that more British drama is on the agenda.
    Forum Member
    Well in Australia Wentworth airs on a cable channel so I would assume the rights are next to nothing. I doubt they pay as much for Wentworth as the did Dallas.
    Yes, it won't be costing them an arm and a leg. They will definitely buy the third season IMO - unless something drastic happens between now and the end of this season ratings wise, but I don't expect it will fall much further.

They do however need to be cleverer about the scheduling and the promotional campaign next year.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Omg at the consolidated rating of "The Great British Bake Off".

Will it be beaten, stirred or shaken from that figure by " I'm A Celebrity " on ITV.

Plus surely the I player figures are huge! And the Sunday repeats.

How does BARB take account of us viewers who only watch online??

It doesn't, yet.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Hmm. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

Some things should just be left alone. HP had a good run. Only reason to continue is to make more money, not for storytelling reasons.
    Always likely I thought - does that mean 3 more books? If not it does smack of milking the franchise as you say.

It's not a continuation of Harry Potter or even a prequel. JK Rowling is writing the screenplay for 'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them'. A planned trilogy for Warner Bros. It's based on a textbook often mentioned in the Harry Potter books. It set in New York 100 years before Harry Potter was even born iirc.

It's been in the works for quite a while.
    Edit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them#Film_adaptation
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Omg at the consolidated rating of "The Great British Bake Off".

Will it be beaten, stirred or shaken from that figure by " I'm A Celebrity " on ITV.

Plus surely the I player figures are huge! And the Sunday repeats.

How does BARB take account of us viewers who only watch online??

Well on Iplayer The Great British Bake Off Series 5 Episode 1 was 2,002,000 in the last iplayer stats. That was No2 in the list after DW with 2,059,000.
    Forum Member
    At the TV Festival controller Ben Frow said he wasn't looking for more drama at the moment and that they were looking instead at comedy.

But since then Viacom's CEO has given interviews whereby he has suggested that more British drama is on the agenda.

Thanks. I thought I had read it somewhere.
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It's not a continuation of Harry Potter or even a prequel. JK Rowling is writing a the screenplay for 'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them'. A planned trilogy for Warner Bros. It's based on a textbook often mentioned in the Harry Potter books. It set in New York 100 years before Harry Potter was even born iirc.
    IIRC didn't the proceeds from that title go to Comic Relief?

Just makes me more uncomfortable about the idea.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Okay, I've been meaning to post this for a while but here are the top 20 most watched shows of the decade. Re the football ratings and the wedding I've used match averages/ceremony averages as I feel it gives a bigger indication as to how many people watched. Wimbledon is tricky as I can't find a match average and it wouldn't have been much bigger than the figure available. Obviously people will have their own charts but nonetheless its still interesting to see the successful programmes of the 2010's :)
    [B]Rank	Programme				Audience     Date		Channel[/B]
    1	Olympics 2012: Closing Ceremony		24.46m	     12 August 2012	BBC 1/HD
    2	Olympics 2012: Opening Ceremony		24.24m	     27 July 2012	BBC 1/HD
    3	Euro 2012: England vs. Italy		20.34m*      24 June 2012	BBC 1/HD
    4	The Royal Wedding			18.90m**     29 April 2011	BBC 1/HD
    5	The X Factor				17.72m	     12 December 2010	ITV 1/HD
    6	World Cup 2010: England vs. Germany	17.45m***    27 June 2010	BBC 1/HD
    7	Olympics 2012: Men’s 100m Final		17.33m	     05 August 2012	BBC 1/HD
    8	EastEnders				16.41m	     19 February 2010   BBC 1
    9	The Diamond Jubilee Concert		15.32m	     04 June 2012	BBC 1/HD
    10	Coronation Street			14.75m	     06 December 2010	ITV 1/HD
    11	Strictly Come Dancing			14.28m	     18 December 2010	BBC 1/HD
    12	New Year’s Eve Fireworks		13.52m	     31 December 2013	BBC 1/HD
    13	The Great British Bake Off		13.51m	     08 October 2013	BBC 1/HD
    14	Britain’s Got Talent			13.50m	     05 June 2010	ITV 1/HD
    15	I’m a Celebrity, Get Me out of Here!	13.48m	     04 December 2010	ITV 1/HD
    16	Doctor Who				12.80m	     23 November 2013	BBC 1/HD
    17	Sherlock				12.72m	     01 January 2014	BBC 1/HD
    18	Come Fly with Me			12.47m	     25 December 2010	BBC 1/HD
    19	Wimbledon 2013 Men’s Final		12.28m	     07 July 2013	BBC 1/HD
    20	Still Open All Hours			12.23m	     26 December 2013	BBC 1/HD

All include HD where available and no +1.

* - Match average
    ** - Average for the ceremony only as per BARB - http://www.barb.co.uk/resources/archive-material/news-article/228
    *** - Match average and highest World Cup figure on BARB. Match average for England v Algeria on 18 June 2010 would be circa 18.8m but no figures are available (overnight average was 18.85m)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it won't be costing them an arm and a leg. They will definitely buy the third season IMO - unless something drastic happens between now and the end of this season ratings wise, but I don't expect it will fall much further.

They do however need to be cleverer about the scheduling and the promotional campaign next year.

There is load of other Viacom sister channels to promote it on.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    IIRC didn't the proceeds from that title go to Comic Relief?

Just makes me more uncomfortable about the idea.

Yes it and Quidditch Through the Ages were short spin offs for Comic Relief and iirc both were textbooks mentioned in the first HP book.
  • AUNACAUNAC Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    So we lose one childish poster and gain another.

Must be lonely up there on that pedestal :)
    Forum Member
    There is load of other Viacom sister channels to promote it on.
    I'd quite like to see a general C5 promo showcasing the best of the channel's output at the moment across the Viacom channels and select spots on ITV/C4 as well.

Gotham + Wentworth + Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty: The Plantagenets + Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away! + Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy + Inside Holloway + Rome: World's First Superpower + Sunday Movies.

It's not a bad slate for the the second half of autumn.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I'd quite like to see a general C5 promo showcasing the best of the channel's output at the moment across the Viacom channels and select spots on ITV/C4 as well.

Gotham + Wentworth + Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty: The Plantagenets + Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away! + Alex Polizzi's Secret Italy + Inside Holloway + Rome: World's First Superpower + Sunday Movies.

It's not a bad slate for the the second half of autumn.

really?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well on Iplayer The Great British Bake Off Series 5 Episode 1 was 2,002,000 in the last iplayer stats. That was No2 in the list after DW with 2,059,000.

But then the overnight was 6.8m, not 12.2m. I imagine many watched the 1st few eps on Iplayer then returned to the TV or final.
    Forum Member
    mediarat wrote: »
    really?
    Yes, really. The factual in particular is a cut above C5's usual fare. I suppose if I'm being picky they could be stronger at 8pm than is the case at the moment (tonight's Benefits, Babies and Jail being a new low, a repackaged repeat of one episode of Benefits Britain: Life on the Dole shown earlier in the year) but overall I think that's a very strong lineup of programmes for C5 at this time of year. You could certainly make an eyecatching promo out of it, anyway.
    Forum Member
    Yes, really. The factual in particular is a cut above C5's usual fare. I suppose if I'm being picky they could be stronger at 8pm than is the case at the moment (tonight's Benefits, Babies and Jail being a new low, a repackaged repeat of one episode of Benefits Britain: Life on the Dole shown earlier in the year) but overall I think that's a very strong lineup of programmes for C5 at this time of year. You could certainly make an eyecatching promo out of it, anyway.

at the moment they are focusing on Gotham which is a good move. it also means they can promo the hell out of other shows during this.

if gotham can hold / grow it's audience then it can be an anchor to usher in the post N&S era.
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It's not a continuation of Harry Potter or even a prequel. JK Rowling is writing the screenplay for 'Fantastic Beasts and where to find them'. A planned trilogy for Warner Bros. It's based on a textbook often mentioned in the Harry Potter books. It set in New York 100 years before Harry Potter was even born iirc.

It's been in the works for quite a while.
    Edit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them#Film_adaptation

Fair enough - she has to make a living I suppose. ;-)
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't usually watch US imports but Gotham has got me hooked. I can't wait for the next episode.
    Forum Member
    I don't usually watch US imports but Gotham has got me hooked. I can't wait for the next episode.

do we know how much they paid for it?

i think c4 paid A LOT for shield, so would be interesting to compare them.
    Forum Member

I liked it too but it does have to be pointed out that its not necessarily a hit yet as a lot of these US shows have fallen away after promising starts.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good couple of days for The Apprentice with both nights topping 6 million. That's certainly better than I'd expected. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up across the run this year.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    He's an excellent choice. Just surprised he wasn't asked sooner.
    I assume his commitments to How I Met Your Mother on CBS probably precluded him from the Oscar host shortlist in previous years.
    J K Rowling has confirmed there will be 3 new Harry Potter films that will pre-date the time before HP. Release dates 2016, 2018 and 2020.

ITV will undoubtedly be keeping hold of the HP rights for a while longer with this news.

Can't wait.
    The Warner Bros. slate in general is pretty huge for the next couple of years. They announced a whole new string of DC movies yesterday as well including two Justice League films and Wonder Woman's first big screen outing. Be interesting to see where all of that lands in the years to come.

Presumably Viacom will also have a greater focus on shows they can sell internationally as well which would mean longer runs for original content as well which I'd suggest is only a good thing.

With that said on the comedy front I do wonder if maybe Channel 5 should look at developing some kind of UK version of The Daily Show. That's the kind of show that could sit well across Viacom's portfolio of UK channels as well giving it some extra exposure. That would also give them a quick hit of original comedy to test the waters.

Surely less than Channel 4 paid for SHIELD. A deal which looks increasingly bad with hindsight.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

Reportedly more than £500k per episode.

http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5075932.article

Likely more than S.H.I.E.L.D. cost C4 (£300-500k)

http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5059699.article
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think Frow ruled out drama but there was nothing in development, I imagine they'll be looking to commission another drama and perhaps a comedy by next year.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    The Warner Bros. slate in general is pretty huge for the next couple of years. They announced a whole new string of DC movies yesterday as well including two Justice League films and Wonder Woman's first big screen outing. Be interesting to see where all of that lands in the years to come.

Presumably Viacom will also have a greater focus on shows they can sell internationally as well which would mean longer runs for original content as well which I'd suggest is only a good thing.

With that said on the comedy front I do wonder if maybe Channel 5 should look at developing some kind of UK version of The Daily Show. That's the kind of show that could sit well across Viacom's portfolio of UK channels as well giving it some extra exposure. That would also give them a quick hit of original comedy to test the waters.

Fantastic Beasts has potential due to it being set in the 1920s and in New York which weren't covered in Harry Potter which already gives it a different feel, the real test who they cast as Newt, it'll be someone who either well known or up and coming. Warner Bros seems to be focusing on Fantastic Beasts, DC and Lego as their core franchises with sequels to Godzilla and other films as well. I do wonder whether WB will be mining their animation libraries for film or television since they own iconic characters like The Flintstones, The Jetsons etc

A daily chatshow is tricky to pull off, it works for daytime but for some reason, it's not been successful in this country in primetime or latenight aside from Graham Norton and even he gave it up once he moved to the BBC. I think 5 will more likely and commission comedy panel shows or formats before going onto sitcoms and sketch shows
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Fantastic Beasts has potential due to it being set in the 1920s and in New York which weren't covered in Harry Potter which already gives it a different feel, the real test who they cast as Newt, it'll be someone who either well known or up and coming. Warner Bros seems to be focusing on Fantastic Beasts, DC and Lego as their core franchises with sequels to Godzilla and other films as well. I do wonder whether WB will be mining their animation libraries for film or television since they own iconic characters like The Flintstones, The Jetsons etc
    Well they tried a Flintstones revival at Fox with Seth MacFarlane and it just didn't get off the ground because nobody involved could agree on what the show should be. Its a shame because I was quite looking forward to it. There was talk of some kind of horrific Jetsons live action film a while back if I remember rightly but I'm hoping those plans have died. Given the current trend in the US of mining existing properties (particularly films) for new series I'm sure Warner Bros. will dig back into their archives as well. There are seriously about a 100 revival/reboot pitches and pilot scripts doing the round right now. Most of them sound terrible though so we'll see what happens.
    A daily chatshow is tricky to pull off, it works for daytime but for some reason, it's not been successful in this country in primetime or latenight aside from Graham Norton and even he gave it up once he moved to the BBC. I think 5 will more likely and commission comedy panel shows or formats before going onto sitcoms and sketch shows
    True on the daily nature of it. I suppose Last Week Tonight might be a better format to ape in the UK. It just seems odd to me that the UK has never really been able to get a show of this nature up off the ground. Channel 4 kind of tried with 10 O'Clock Live but that was just a really poorly conceived show.
This discussion has been closed.