For those grumbling over the 3.8MB T-Mobile speed cap...

Comments

• JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I just got off the phone with T-Mobile retentions with a PAC code. He was adamant the full monty is not capped at all, even when I told him about tests I have seen that would suggest otherwise.

I'm going to three, but I don't really want to be tied into another 2 year contract for a couple of reasons:
    • the signal in my house may not be very good
    • i can leave any time i like if i see a good deal on a contract phone in a years time

I'm thinking of going for SIM 300 - 1 month All-you-can-eat data at £15 pounds per month. Or I could buy the PAYG One X from Three and just top up £15 every month for the exact same deal. It does however work out a bit more expensive in the long run, especially as the phone is £460.

As you can probably tell, I'm still undecided:confused:.

Unless anyone can tell me that the Full Monty isn't capped, I'm definately going to Three.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Jordan, didn't you know T-Mobile doesn't offer more than 3.8 in general? ;-)
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    But Jordan, didn't you know T-Mobile doesn't offer more than 3.8 in general? ;-)

Not unless you want to pay£19 for super internet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not unless you want to pay£19 for super internet

That was meant as a joke, people have been told by T-Mobile the network couldn't go any faster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got rid of the cap :D I spoke to a manager. I told him about the cap and asked if he could get the super internet booster added for free (As I wouldn't be getting anything extra because I already have unlimited) and if there is no speed cap it shouldn't make any different.
  • old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the last week or so I have managed roaming on TM to reach 8.3 meg. Still a long way off the speed I can get with 3. But is shows TM network can support higher speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old bill2 wrote: »
    Over the last week or so I have managed roaming on TM to reach 8.3 meg. Still a long way off the speed I can get with 3. But is shows TM network can support higher speeds.

Are you with Orange? How did you get it that fast? Did u use a different APN?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got rid of the cap :D I spoke to a manager. I told him about the cap and asked if he could get the super internet booster added for free (As I wouldn't be getting anything extra because I already have unlimited) and if there is no speed cap it shouldn't make any different.

So what speeds have u seen now then that u got rid of the cap? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ajh94 wrote: »
    So what speeds have u seen now then that u got rid of the cap? :D

I got around a 5.3mb/s download and a 1.2mb upload.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got around a 5.3mb/s download and a 1.2mb upload.

Awesome, si that on T-Mobile or roaming on Orange? and what did you get on Three in the same place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome, si that on T-Mobile or roaming on Orange? and what did you get on Three in the same place?

T-Mobile and about the same this time and place on Three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you with Orange? How did you get it that fast? Did u use a different APN?

Yes iam with Orange. Using either a IP4s or HTC One X. Normal APN Orange Internet . Just have GPRS PremIum added to the account. On Orange I normally get around 2-3 meg dl and 1.5 ul. But roaming on TM I hit about 7-8.5 meg each time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes iam with Orange. Using either a IP4s or HTC One X. Normal APN Orange Internet . Just have GPRS PremIum added to the account. On Orange I normally get around 2-3 meg dl and 1.5 ul. But roaming on TM I hit about 7-8.5 meg each time.

Interesting, what plan are you on?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panther 36 and a IPhone plan.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a speed test of 8.96 / 2.94 Mbps on T-Mobile HSDPA. T-Mobile iPhone plan with 1GB Mobile Broadband booster (to enable tethering).

Pity I've already exceeded my 1GB allowance this month after 1 week - have to keep pressing the button on the FUP page...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panther 36 and a IPhone plan.

Oh so 2 different plans, i'm on panther 36, maybe the 7.5mbps speed cap doesn't exist anymore then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We were told it's not possible to add Super Internet booster to Full Monty. And there wouldn't be any point as (like you said) everything is unlimited and apparently uncapped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    We were told it's not possible to add Super Internet booster to Full Monty. And there wouldn't be any point as (like you said) everything is unlimited and apparently uncapped.

Pretty sure he's added the super internet booster. I will check my tmobile to confirm the name of the booster for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just did this test on TM a few moments ago.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1913560750.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure he's added the super internet booster. I will check my tmobile to confirm the name of the booster for you.

Thank you, I guess it can only be that the Super Internet one as the other ones don't uncap the speed. Just strange he actually agreed to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just did this test on TM a few moments ago.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1913560750.png

YOU GOT 8MB+ ROAMING ON ORANGE? OR WAS THAT ORANGE SIM ROAMING ON T-MOBILE?
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a call from T-Mobile today as my contract's up in May. I complained about the speed cap and so they offered me the Full Monty, but when I told them that I was going to move to 3's £15 pay as you go with unlimited data, the guy just sighed and said that he couldn't argue with that and bid me good day!! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YOU GOT 8MB+ ROAMING ON ORANGE? OR WAS THAT ORANGE SIM ROAMING ON T-MOBILE?

Orange sim roaming on T-mobile.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a call from T-Mobile today as my contract's up in May. I complained about the speed cap and so they offered me the Full Monty, but when I told them that I was going to move to 3's £15 pay as you go with unlimited data, the guy just sighed and said that he couldn't argue with that and bid me good day!! :p

Retentions surprise me (any company).

Sometimes they try and suggest everything product they have (even if it doesn't fit your needs) and other times they just give in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orange sim roaming on T-mobile.

AH OK, IS THAT THE PANTHER 36 OR THE IPHONE PLAN?