Alan Rickman...

LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...is an amazing actor. Discuss.

The first film I saw him in was Robin Hood Prince of Thieves when I was about 9. Of course at the time I was too young to appreciate the man.

His performance in Die Hard was inspired, and I would like to thank whoever cast him in the Harry Potter films. He's perfect as Snape.

Comments

• FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    LnMidna wrote: »

The first film I saw him in was Robin Hood Prince of Thieves when I was about 9. Of course at the time I was too young to appreciate the man.

His performance in Die Hard was inspired, and I would like to thank whoever cast him in the Harry Potter films. He's perfect as Snape.

Truly madly deeply is one of my fave films.....
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean Dennis Rickman? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I appreciate what you are saying, but for some very odd reason I find him rather creepy. It may well be that he is such a good actor, and tends to play rather strange characters that it is the character I am reacting to rather than the actor.

I saw him in a film the other day when he was living with an autistic woman when her daughter had died. Cant for the life of me remember what film was, but even then his character struck me as a little hard to warm to.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Do you mean Dennis Rickman? :D

No, I think the OP meant the sublime, not the ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's awesome...love him...totally stole the show in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

My husband and I will often randomly qoute him...eg...I'll cut your heart out with a SPOOOOOOON...or Bla Bla Bla...AND CALL OFF CHRISTMAS!!!

Also...he's very sexy and has a voice I could listen to, reading out the phone book.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LnMidna wrote: »

Agreed. He is fantastic.

I never could understand how we were supposed to believe that Maid Marian preferred plain, dull Kevin Costner.

I can't think of a performance of his that I haven't liked.

It's a real shame that they passed him over for the film version of Dangerous Liaisons, as he would have been totally amazing (from the short clip of the stage production I've seen).
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate what you are saying, but for some very odd reason I find him rather creepy. It may well be that he is such a good actor, and tends to play rather strange characters that it is the character I am reacting to rather than the actor.

I saw him in a film the other day when he was living with an autistic woman when her daughter had died. Cant for the life of me remember what film was, but even then his character struck me as a little hard to warm to.

That would be Snow Cake, with Sigourney Weaver and that woman in the Matrix.

I was rather dissapointed when he dropped his trousers in Dogma. Ken Doll genitalia indeed.
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Agreed. He is fantastic.

I never could understand how we were supposed to believe that Maid Marian preferred plain, dull Kevin Costner.

I can't think of a performance of his that I haven't liked.

It's a real shame that they passed him over for the film version of Dangerous Liaisons, as he would have been totally amazing (from the short clip of the stage production I've seen).

Was he supposed to play the John Malkovitch role? JM was insanely brilliant so am glad he got it if so..
  • Nought2SixtyNought2Sixty Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is sadly under used in the potter films mainly because watson's eye brow's demand most screen time :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    Was he supposed to play the John Malkovitch role? JM was insanely brilliant so am glad he got it if so..

Yes - he played that part in the stage version.

I'm not knocking JM - his performance in DL is responsible for him being one of my 'weird crushes' - but as I say, the short clip of AR which I've seen on yout tube was mesmerising. I understand he caused quite a stir with the females in the audience during the theatre run:o
    Forum Member

I'm not knocking JM - his performance in DL is responsible for him being one of my 'weird crushes' - but as I say, the short clip of AR which I've seen on yout tube was mesmerising. I understand he caused quite a stir with the females in the audience during the theatre run:o

Yes he's one of my weird crushes too - he's very boss eyed....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's a clip on youtube?:eek: I've only ever read about his performance and mourned what might have been.

*Off to search*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have such a crush on Alan Rickman. The first film I saw him in was 'Michael Collins' and since then, I've made an effort to watch everything he's been in.

He just has the most incredible voice.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Oh, thank goodness it's just an Appreciation sort of thread!

When I saw the thread title I thought he must have been anounced as ill or something - phew!

Yes, he is a great actor - I had the biggest crush on him years ago and my mam and I used to watch Die Hard all the time, swooning over his voice.
  • the lord gthe lord g Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    He is also wonderful stage actor i was lucky to see him do Macbeth.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    I saw him play Hamlet years ago in Bradford.

Mind you, he was about 45 even then so a little old to be playing the Danish Prince ... he can't have been that much younger than the actress playing his mother!
  • beanzmeanzbeanzmeanz Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic actor. I have never seen a film with him in that I haven't liked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »

Mind you, he was about 45 even then so a little old to be playing the Danish Prince ... he can't have been that much younger than the actress playing his mother!

That's not unusual. Glenn Close apparently gave birth to Mel Gibson at the age of 9.
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I wanted to be Sharleen Spiteri dancing with him in the petrol garage in the Texas video 'In demand' :o He's old enough to be my dad :o But he's gorgeous! And he makes Snape curiously attractive :eek:
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome in dogma and hitchikers guide too :p
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be Sharleen Spiteri dancing with him in the petrol garage in the Texas video 'In demand' :o He's old enough to be my dad :o But he's gorgeous! And he makes Snape curiously attractive :eek:

I am v jealous of her. She also did a song with one of my favourite bands (Rammstein).

I never did manage to get that video on my iPod.
  • the lord gthe lord g Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    JT Effect wrote: »

iam sure he was brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    There's a clip on youtube?:eek: I've only ever read about his performance and mourned what might have been.

*Off to search*

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIkTue5N9WE;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a fabulous actor - really really talented. I love his voice as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably my favourite actor and a big crush of mine! Love him, love his films, love his acting. And agree re the making Snape fanciable - I'd totally do him!!