Options

Meat vs Quorn

Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
Forum Member
✭✭
If supermarkets swapped all the meat for quorn would anyone notice?

Comments

• Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would! Quorn has the most awful texture and as hard as it tries tastes nothing like decent meat.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, because quorn tastes pretty awful and nothing like meat.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I cooked a chili with quorn mince the other day.

It was obvious. The texture more than anything.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would.

Why would you want to eat a substitute rather than the real thing.

Having seen the horrible pink mush that Quorn is made out of when I used to work for them, I would never touch one of their products ever again.
    The smell of that stuff is something you will never forget if you have ever smelled it.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Yes, of course. I don't absolutely hate Quorn, but it is nothing like real meat.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I would, the texture of quorn is noticeably different compared with meat, i do like quorn, my girlfriend is a vegetarian, she had cooked us meals with quorn in and it is ok but not as nice as mince

now these ae gorgeous, my girlfriend got some and i couldn't believe they were not meat

http://www.frysvegetarian.co.uk/product/vegetarian-sausages/vegetarian-hot-dogs/
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I would, the texture of quorn is noticeably different compared with meat, i do like quorn, my girlfriend is a vegetarian, she had cooked us meals with quorn in and it is ok but not as nice as mince

now these ae gorgeous, my girlfriend got some and i couldn't believe they were not meat

http://www.frysvegetarian.co.uk/product/vegetarian-sausages/vegetarian-hot-dogs/

Now they are one of the best! I'm a Quorn fan married to a meat eater - he doesn't mind Quorn however. Now dry Soya is a different matter - when we go to our apt in Turkey the in laws think soya is amazing - this time I managed to take some frozen Quorn (:o) and use it there in my dishes as it didn't even defrost - they thought it was amazing - they don't have it there up North. But even as a veggie I know there's a difference, if someone gave me mince or chicken - I'd know as vice versa. Having said that Quorn is brilliant.:) I don't eat any meat btw.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Yes it would be noticeable. I do like Quorn but the texture is nowhere close to meat. Its too "soft" if people get what I mean? It doesn't have the bite or chew of actual meat.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't like the Fry's stuff, it all tastes too buttery to me. And Quorn has a horrible aftertaste.

On the whole i'd say that Redwood (now renamed to the execrable "vBites") make the best meat-free alternatives, but they've stopped making their most tasty product, the Merquez-style sausage.

If you want the best meat-free hotdog then i'd say that Taifun's Tofu Wiener tastes the best, especially if you cook them properly in boiling water.

And i should point out that most of Redwood's stuff is currently included in Holland & Barrett's penny sale (buy one full price, get another for 1p).
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a cheaper and healthier alternative I sometimes use Quorn. I've found that in spag bol you really can't tell the difference.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a cheaper and healthier alternative I sometimes use Quorn. I've found that in spag bol you really can't tell the difference.

I agree. When Quorn mince (or similar) is on special offer I buy it. I make a spag bol from scratch (no jars of sauce etc) and fresh veg and nobody in my house notices the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is there are non brand name equivalent of quorn?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most supermarkets do their own version which is cheaper.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a veggie I would rather eat chicken than eat Quorn - it is hateful stuff and does dreadful things to my digestive system.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Mrs #1 is veggie, so I sometimes have Quorn.

It's OK in chilli / bolognese, but in chunks / fillets the texture is noticeably different.

And it goes through me like an oiled up ferret :o
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i would if i were a meat-eater, i`m [violently] allergic to it but meat eating friend`s i`ve fed it to can`t tell the difference, the chicken pieces are particularly convincing.
  • Options
    MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with quorn, it tastes good and is guilt free. Plus it is better for you and the environment.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to eat a substitute rather than the real thing.

I don't know, perhaps people that eat it are vegetarians or, you know, they like it?
    Having seen the horrible pink mush that Quorn is made out of when I used to work for them, I would never touch one of their products ever again.

Oh no, not pink mush! The horror! :eek:
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum uses quorn mince instead of the real thing now because its less hastle and more convienent , with real mince she would have to defrost the stuff hours before hand, quorn she just comes home and gets out of the freezer. My dad did not even know for a few months could not tell.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    My mum uses quorn mince instead of the real thing now because its less hastle and more convienent , with real mince she would have to defrost the stuff hours before hand, quorn she just comes home and gets out of the freezer. My dad did not even know for a few months could not tell.

you can cook mince from frozen.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to eat meat then eat meat.
    If you don't want to or can't eat meat then eat vegetables.
    Simples!

No need for this Quorn rubbish or other fake meat products!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or Quorn or anything else that isn't meat that you like the taste of.

Quorn and other non-meat products fill a niche. What's it to you if people enjoy eating them?
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to eat meat then eat meat.
    Simples!

Quorn products allow some of us to eat similar meals to our meat eating spouses. That is certainly why I use them, when we have sausages he has meaty ones and I have quorn.
    Makes for an easier life really.

Do they taste same as meat ? no luckily they don't because one of the main reasons I gave up meat was because I didn't like the taste or texture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Do they taste same as meat ? no luckily they don't because one of the main reasons I gave up meat was because I didn't like the taste or texture.

Right. Quorn is Quorn and the range is so varied that just because you don't like one thing it doesn't mean you won't like another.

The Southern Fried Bites are amazing!

Also there are various other alternatives (I prefer the Cauldron sausages for instance).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you can cook mince from frozen.

only if you buy the shit stuff that comes frozen and looks like chicken feed.