Options

Why are stand mixers so pricey?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
Forum Member
My girlfriends birthday is coming up soon, she loves baking (like everyone seems to these days!), I know she's always wanted a stand mixer.

So off I go to browse the internet in search of one, and it looks like that I'll be forking out about £400 for a {good quality} stand mixer. Don't get me wrong, she's worth it (as long as she keeps up with the house work), just wondering what makes them more premium over say, a blender.

Edit: Just realised that I should have probably put this under the Food section, but alas, I am a couple of button pushes too late.

Comments

• Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her a Kenwood. It'll last your lifetimes.
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stand mixers do so much more than just blend. Mine has loads of attachments for mixing ingredients plus separate liquidiser and a mincer. It is a Kenwood. Expensive yes but definitely worth it. The cheaper ones tend to be less powerful and sturdy and struggle under load.
    My mum has a Kenwood mixer that is 38 years old and still going strong. It was a lot of money to spend back then but as it is still going 38 years later, she has more than got her moneys worth.

Show her you love her by buying her this bad boy http://www.johnlewis.com/kenwood-cooking-chef-km080-kitchen-machine-silver/p507149 :D
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy her a proper vintage one off ebay. Like this
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has a Kenwood mixer that is 38 years old and still going strong. It was a lot of money to spend back then but as it is still going 38 years later, she has more than got her moneys worth.

I can beat that - my mum has a Kenwood mixer that was a wedding present and is still going strong. It is their 50th wedding anniversary next year and so the mixer will be 50 years old!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    we have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Stonehouse-Different-Blades-Splash/dp/B00CD4339Q/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1384268708&sr=8-19&keywords=food+mixer

seems stupid forking out 400 odd quid on a name and it does the job just as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stand mixers do so much more than just blend. Mine has loads of attachments for mixing ingredients plus separate liquidiser and a mincer. It is a Kenwood. Expensive yes but definitely worth it. The cheaper ones tend to be less powerful and sturdy and struggle under load.

Show her you love her by buying her this bad boy http://www.johnlewis.com/kenwood-cooking-chef-km080-kitchen-machine-silver/p507149 :D

Ha! But too much I think!

I'm thinking about getting her this one, I know she'll like the design.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EpsilonVaz wrote: »

A good choice. I am pretty sure Mary Berry endorses Kitchenaid stuff. They do look fab which is a bonus. Fantastic reviews too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can beat that - my mum has a Kenwood mixer that was a wedding present and is still going strong. It is their 50th wedding anniversary next year and so the mixer will be 50 years old!

It just shows how well they were made. My mum's Kenwood is the A701A. Hmmm a 36 year old guy talking enthusiastically about food mixers. :eek::o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A good choice. I am pretty sure Mary Berry endorses Kitchenaid stuff. They do look fab which is a bonus. Fantastic reviews too.

Also, thanks for linking me to the JL website, I was only really looking at amazon, but to my surprise the JL site is much cheaper!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just shows how well they were made. My mum's Kenwood is the A701A. Hmmm a 36 year old guy talking enthusiastically about food mixers. :eek::o:D

I know, I wonder if any of today's kitchen gadgets will still be working in 50 years time!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, thanks for linking me to the JL website, I was only really looking at amazon, but to my surprise the JL site is much cheaper!

John Lewis is excellent for buying from and their customer service is equally excellent. :)
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the shop the other day and asked the assistant if anyone will sell me a stand mixer.

He said 'Kenwood'.

I said 'go and get him then'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I went to the shop the other day and asked the assistant if anyone will sell me a stand mixer.

He said 'Kenwood'.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If she likes baking she will love you for that! :)

As for the price compared to blenders, I think its mostly because they have much more powerful motors. But ones like the Kenwood and the Kitchenaid (the one I'd buy if I had the money!) are built to last, and should last a lifetime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »

He said 'Kenwood'.

I will be telling that one as if it were my own :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be telling that one as if it were my own :D

I did the same. :D
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I know it's not for everybody but try QVC, they seem to be a bit cheaper there, do a good job and you can get interest free split payments, usually into 2/3 months.. Also if they don't like/want it you can send it back up until the 25th January through their extended money back guarantee, only thing you'll lose is your P&P

Also due to the weight if u do send it back, they will collect it for you
  • Options
    LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really lucky to have a KitchenAid, I totally love it and I use it all the time so if she is really enthusiastic then I highly recommend one!

If you don't want to spend so much money, this one seems great - http://essentials.guardianoffers.co.uk/buy.cfm/cookware/retro-style-stand-mixers/41/yes/77855?INTCMP=mic_231377&guni=Keyword:news-grid%20main-4%20Special%20offers:Heading%20and%20link%20text:Position1

We bought our KitchenAid from Harts of Stur - they're cheaper and they often have really good promotions. We got free steak knives and forks with ours. They're offering the ice cream bowl and knives at the moment - http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Kitchenaid_Artisan_Mixer.html

:D
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a Kitchenaid, love it to bits, it's not just simply about the mixer, it's how it mixes and the reliability.

When we go on holiday it's pretty much the first thing my OH hides away!!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My girlfriends birthday is coming up soon, she loves baking (like everyone seems to these days!), I know she's always wanted a stand mixer.

So off I go to browse the internet in search of one, and it looks like that I'll be forking out about £400 for a {good quality} stand mixer. Don't get me wrong, she's worth it (as long as she keeps up with the house work), just wondering what makes them more premium over say, a blender.
    Because a Kenwood mixer which by now you will have read many positive opinions on from owners, is the closest domestic machine to a Hobart, which as you can see would set you back almost thirteen times more than a Kenwood.

Hobart manufacture industrial Catering equipment and their mixers are almost 'bullet proof', they have to be because they are in constant use, but more importantly Kenwood mixers are of a similar design in having a gearbox and planetary action mixer as opposed to the cheaper mixer which simply have a direct drive.

Hope that helps answer your question as to 'what makes them better than a blender' which incidentally is entirely different to a mixer!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get her a genuine 70's kenwood. I just happen to be selling one ;)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i noticed a lot of cheaper mixers now that uses the same planetary motion of the kenwood, I know of someone who got a Andrew James for around the £80 mark. Yeah it is not a Kenwood or a kitchen aid and it is a bit rough around the edges in that it is a bit noisy and you got to stop it now and again to take scrape the side of the bowl, but for the price it is fine if you only going to use it now and again.

I know someone else who got a Grundig on, that is almost £200, and to be honest I was pretty impressed with for the price. again it is no Kenwood and certainly no kitchen aid, but it works.

the problem with these cheaper rmixers is how long will they last?

i have a old Kenwood, but it don't work so well these days, i had it second hand anyway and it was well used. considering getting a new one next year, i would really like a kitchen Aid, but not sure if it is worth paying the price as i don't bake as much as I used to.

but while the price is high, anyone that does a lot of baking, for home use you can not beat Kitchen Aid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been doing some reading online - Kenwood vs KitchenAid and it seems people rate the Kenwood mixers higher than the KA. Interesting! The KA looks prettier but the Kenwood does more, is more robust and gives better results, apparently. Also in the comparison I read the Kenwood tested was £100 cheaper.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Because a Kenwood mixer which by now you will have read many positive opinions on from owners, is the closest domestic machine to a Hobart, which as you can see would set you back almost thirteen times more than a Kenwood.

Hobart manufacture industrial Catering equipment and their mixers are almost 'bullet proof', they have to be because they are in constant use, but more importantly Kenwood mixers are of a similar design in having a gearbox and planetary action mixer as opposed to the cheaper mixer which simply have a direct drive.

Hope that helps answer your question as to 'what makes them better than a blender' which incidentally is entirely different to a mixer!

i saw a Hobart fall apart while in use, it was scary i can tell you, bits flying alll over the place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're expensive because they're bought by middle-class people to decorate their counter tops so their friends think they do baking.