Options

Samsung Handset Switching Humax FreeSat Box

;-)Hello all,

Just recently my Samsung TV remote has started to switch off my Humax FreeSat box. It's not the end of the world but really annoying as, when I switch the TV on the box switches off!

Has anyone any clues as how to correct the problem please?

I haven't got the Humax remote setup to switch the TV.
Cheers, Guy.

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It's probably HDMI-CEC, go into the Anynet+ settings and dissable it or remove the device from the list if it shows up.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    guyrws wrote: »
    ;-)Hello all,

Just recently my Samsung TV remote has started to switch off my Humax FreeSat box. It's not the end of the world but really annoying as, when I switch the TV on the box switches off!

Has anyone any clues as how to correct the problem please?

As -GONZO- has already mentioned, it's probably CEC-HDMI (added to some Humax boxes in a recent(ish) update) - we had a number of customer calls about it.

You 'could' turn it OFF as suggested, but why is it a problem? - it's doing what it's supposed to do, and why would you want the box ON if the TV is OFF?.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You 'could' turn it OFF as suggested, but why is it a problem? - it's doing what it's supposed to do, and why would you want the box ON if the TV is OFF?.

Trust me Nigel, HDMI-CEC functioning TVs combined with the HDR-1000/1010s is more trouble than it's worth.
    1 reason why you may want the box on while the TV is off is for example:
    There's a knock at the door so you pause what your watching, depending on who it is you may invite them in so you may wish to turn the tv off in the knowledge that once they've gone you can resume your viewing pleasure. That's where the problem lies as although you've paused it, the box has been switched off because you turned the TV off and your paused program is no longer :( .
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    why is it a problem? - it's doing what it's supposed to do, and why would you want the box ON if the TV is OFF?.
    It is obviously not for the OP. I am another who prefers to control powering off my various PVRs at my explicit command as turning them on and off all the time as I flit between them to watch different things is not my idea of treating them sympathetically. Perhaps you are too used to more basic set ups to appreciate this kind of usage? I use my activity based remote control to give me a much more flexible way of controlling my devices than CEC ever could.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As -GONZO- has already mentioned, it's probably CEC-HDMI (added to some Humax boxes in a recent(ish) update) - we had a number of customer calls about it.

My HDR1000S is connected to my AV amplifier. I often listen to radio channels which I temporarily turn on the TV to find out what is on. If turning off the TV turns off the box that is just plain stupid. Basically CEC is seriously flawed. My daughter has a similar setup, the only way to get it to work was turn off CEC on her Panasonic TV. It should have setup options that allow some degree of control over how it works. The current one size fits all is frankly pathetic, it's hardly difficult to select the right input on the TV which in my case as everything is routed by my amplifier is the only input I ever use anyway.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am another who turns HDMI control off.

The biggest pain for me was playing an audio CD in my Blu-Ray player. The player would detect the disk and send a "turn on" command to the telly. But it's an audio CD, no pictures so no need of the TV. So I turn the TV off. Which sends a "turn off" command back to the Blu-Ray player.

So I turn the player back on, well you can guess where this is going :)

Total and utter pain in the wotsits. Far easier to turn all this nonsense off and take control of all the bits of kit yourself. OK might have been less of a pain had the Blu-Ray player been programmed by Sony to not send a "turn TV on" command when playing an audio CD and only send one for video DVD and Blu-Ray disks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    OK might have been less of a pain had the Blu-Ray player been programmed by Sony to not send a "turn TV on" command when playing an audio CD and only send one for video DVD and Blu-Ray disks.

Interesting idea - but probably far too clever for the designers to think of :D

SCART is still far superior in many ways! :p
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    OK might have been less of a pain had the Blu-Ray player been programmed by Sony to not send a "turn TV on" command when playing an audio CD and only send one for video DVD and Blu-Ray disks.

Should make it optional even for video, DVD and Blu Ray. I've got DVDs that are purely music - the only visual element are photos related to the original album cover and inner sleeve. I don't need to watch the photos on continuous loop while I listen to the album. I've also got lots of live DVD and Blu Ray concert videos that I'd like to listen to without necessarily watching - so don't need the TV switched on at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you all need to bear in mind that it's intended for 'the masses' :D

Most of whom could never even set the timer on their VCR, and this makes life simpler for them.

For the more 'technically minded' on these forums turning CEC OFF is the obvious answer :p
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=guyrws;74596519)
    I haven't got the Humax remote setup to switch the TV.
    Cheers, Guy.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar set up. So it's best to avoid setting up the Samsung remote to control my Humax box ? I also have a Samsung DVD/ Blueray player and ATV.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    I have a similar set up. So it's best to avoid setting up the Samsung remote to control my Humax box ? I also have a Samsung DVD/ Blueray player and ATV.
    The remote is only incidental to this. It is HDMI control causing the problems.The TV and Humax are talking to each other over HDMI and when you turn one off or on it can turn the other off or on via commands sent via HDMI. The remote therefore is only actually telling one device to turn off. HDMI control is telling the other device to down tools in sympathy :)

So you can set the Samsung remote to control the Humax if it is capable of that. But turn off the HDMI control. :)

Oh and there is no E in Blu-Ray :D
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My HDR1000S is connected to my AV amplifier.

I also have this, the problem I have is that I want the CEC to control my amp but not the devices connected to the amp including both my Humax PVRs. In the end I had to resort to "cutting" the CEC control pin to the devices. (The quotes around "cutting" are because I just bought an adaptor with the pin missing rather than mess about with butchering HDMI cables).