Options

Vanilla - No Way No Way (the best song of the 20th Century)?

spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think this song is an absolute masterpiece. The amazing vocals, wonderful inspiring lyrics, cutting edge video, it's a true work of art. I think it's quite possibly the best song of the 90's, if not the entire century! To this day I still listen to it in awe of it's genius and could never tire of it. It doesn't date either, it sounds as fresh today as it did then.

Anyone else here love this work of pure perfection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m9n5Uv0bp0

Comments

• Options
    sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I remember it and the group performing it whilst doing a hand movement in time to the mah na ma nah bit. I wonder where they are now. I know only this song.
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    much better on mute ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Haha it's on my iPod - the shameeeee
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell OP, have you done that for a bet? It's utter crap.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sej17 wrote: »
    I remember it and the group performing it whilst doing a hand movement in time to the mah na ma nah bit. I wonder where they are now. I know only this song.

Either in jail on benefits or on the game probably!
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the **** were they thinking?! :o
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Oh good god no! One of the most annoying songs in the world.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No way no way! It's one of the most irritating songs ever recorded. It makes the Crazy Frog and the Teletubbies sound like The Beatles in comparison.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think this song is an absolute masterpiece. The amazing vocals, wonderful inspiring lyrics, cutting edge video, it's a true work of art. I think it's quite possibly the best song of the 90's, if not the entire century! To this day I still listen to it in awe of it's genius and could never tire of it. It doesn't date either, it sounds as fresh today as it did then.

J Jonah Jamieson says my response better than I ever could.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more OP....an underrated pop classic for sure.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This song was allegedly a prank or a bet between record company execs. it was written by an italian composer in the 60s and was originally made popular by some different muppets...who can sing better than vanilla and are also better looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ&
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Best song of the twentieth century?? Don't make me laugh! Any real music lover could easily come up with at least a hundred songs that would wipe the floor with this shit! Please don't feed the troll.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh how my friends and I would be glued to "The Box" when this came on, it is impossible to drag yourself away from the TV and woe betide anyone that tried to turn it over. I had it on CD single and was devastated when it went missing. I think a jealous friend may have stolen it.
    There is a happy ending though, I managed to pick a copy up in Cash Converters for fifty pence! Little did they realise what a bargain I'd got, they obviously didn't understand the true value of the single :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how my friends and I would be glued to "The Box" when this came on, it is impossible to drag yourself away from the TV and woe betide anyone that tried to turn it over. I had it on CD single and was devastated when it went missing. I think a jealous friend may have stolen it.
    There is a happy ending though, I managed to pick a copy up in Cash Converters for fifty pence! Little did they realise what a bargain I'd got, they obviously didn't understand the true value of the single :cool:

Hahaha, oh definitely, you got an incredible bargain there! You should be able to sell it for 100 times that amount on Ebay, I'm sure! A very rare, valuable collector's piece! :D

Lol, are there really a couple of people on here who actually think I'm being serious about this song?! I have to say it is one of those "so awful it's almost brilliant" types of songs, anyone agree? I do find it very memorable, for all the wrong reasons! :d
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very under-rated song at the time, but now being recognised for the way in which it portrays existentialist angst, with an anti-consumerism diatribe via the clever exploitation of minimalism and repetition.
  • Options
    substratesubstrate Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    What a song. It's got everything you could possibly want, especially when paired with the can't-afford-LA-let's-go-to-Droitwich Spa video.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think its a shame what happened to Vanilla. People remember them for that irritating song (which tbh is better than some of the overplayed generic dirge in the charts just now) and yet they released a follow up single in 98.

However, because people weren't taking them seriously by that point, and 98 was such a strong year for music and it had lots of competition, it debuted at number 34 in the charts and then they got dropped by their record label.

The follow up song "True To Us" really showed what the group could do, and its a very catchy song, with strong vocals. It makes you think that the group is made up of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Dina Carrol, and Cher.

This is "True To Us"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWOavVUJ0EU

What do you think?

edit - seriously though, its reminiscent of a late 80's / early 90's Stock Aitken and waterman single.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the CD single. I don't like the version posted in the link. I prefer the dancier version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I think its a shame what happened to Vanilla. People remember them for that irritating song (which tbh is better than some of the overplayed generic dirge in the charts just now) and yet they released a follow up single in 98.

However, because people weren't taking them seriously by that point, and 98 was such a strong year for music and it had lots of competition, it debuted at number 34 in the charts and then they got dropped by their record label.

The follow up song "True To Us" really showed what the group could do, and its a very catchy song, with strong vocals. It makes you think that the group is made up of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Dina Carrol, and Cher.

This is "True To Us"

What do you think?

edit - seriously though, its reminiscent of a late 80's / early 90's Stock Aitken and waterman single.

Sorry I think that is awful.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    :o Makes the Spice Girls seem like the Supremes.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the OP is being ironic.

The original Italian version and Muppets' cover (of what makes no pretence of being other than a silly novelty song) are enjoyable enough in their own way if you don't take them too seriously, but this version is beyond awful.
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come Shampoo: Trouble is still allowed, but No Way No Way is dismissed as filth?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    substrate wrote: »
    What a song. It's got everything you could possibly want, especially when paired with the can't-afford-LA-let's-go-to-Droitwich Spa video.

My favourite thing in the whole video is how the light manages to sparkle off the water when the girls backs are turned to the pool! How on earth!?!

This is "True To Us"

What do you think?
    Shite.

Not a patch on No Way, No Way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    A very under-rated song at the time, but now being recognised for the way in which it portrays existentialist angst, with an anti-consumerism diatribe via the clever exploitation of minimalism and repetition.

LMAO! That's it exactly! You've summed up it's message perfectly! :-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    substrate wrote: »

LOL! Oh definitely. It really is a wonderful artistic piece, the video. I love the Fellini-esque feel they went for. :-D